Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2362, February 20th, 2013

Our "Write On Wednesday" logo. 

WRITE ON WEDNESDAY 


JOURNALIST VS OPINION MAKER 


We received a lot of reaction from readers regarding our post on "What Is A Journalist?" Our friend Joe Leonardi put that question into words in his novel America Enslaved. I don't agree with his character's assumptions here but it is a finely written prose. 

My First Time by: Dominique Mendoza 
My Dear Readers, As of today I have resigned my position as a reporter. I am no longer, a journalist. That does not indicate that I am going away, no, anything but. I am moving in a new direction here at the paper, I have been offered the opportunity to share with you all my “opinion” on what is going on here in South Florida and in the country and even, yes, the world. It was not an easy decision. My greatest sense of pride has always been my objectivity. Though I have been honored with professional awards, acclaim and accolades, the greatest compliment I have ever been given is when you, my readers, have approached me in public or sent correspondence to the paper, asking what my “opinion” was on a subject. The fact, that my “opinion” never became part of my journalistic endeavors was something I strove for as equally as I did for the accuracy in my reporting. 
 I have been working on perhaps the greatest story I will ever write. It will require a great deal of time and research. To complete this project, I had desired a leave of absence from reporting, but those here at the paper that hold sway over such decisions did not believe it was the best course of action. They offered a compromise: a position that would allow me to continue to write, but afford me the time I so desperately require to complete what will be my final piece of journalistic reporting. 
 I will confess that this was not my most desirous choice. At the risk of insulting some of my colleagues, I have always held in low regard those who spout “opinion” as journalism. I have always held that the reader should never be able to determine the reporter’s view on a story. I was told that I would still be a journalist, but I responded that was not the case. I am submitting my resignation as a journalist, I am surrendering my credentials as a reporter and today I am embarking on a new career as an opinion columnist. 
As I have already stated in this column, I have given you my “opinion.” It is my first time and with my first time I have sincerely told you the readers my view of the new position I will hold. However, as I have always strove in my career, I will endeavor to give more than my best. In the coming weeks you will, for the first time, know my “opinion” on the many stories I have covered over my long career. I will take my first few columns to dissect those stories that have been honored with Pulitzer prizes. I will take you inside not only what were my thought processes, but also how I viewed the subject of my reporting. I will share with you not only the facts, but also how I felt about the corruption that I uncovered and reported upon. 
Thank you and God bless. 
D http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479131113/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk 
Check out Joe Leonardi's book "America Enslaved" on Amazon.com. 

1 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger David DeCosmo said...


Walter Cronkite one said "In seeking the truth you have to get both sides of the story." That's the job of a journalist, aka a reporter. I'd call him a "Joe Friday." A man or woman looking for "just the facts" Cronkite also described news as watching yards of while linen as it rolled off the loom. Suddenly you see a dark spt on the material. A reporter calls your attention to the spot and makes inquiries as to how it may have stained the linen. An editorialist,aka a commentator, suggests ways the stain might be removed and/or offers an opinion as to who or what caused the spot and what action should be taken to prevent it from happening again.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, there are far too few reporters to handle the number of "black spots" showing up on our linen these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home