Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2378, March 13th, 2013

Our “13 Questions” logo.

13 QUESTIONS 


1. Can there be another Bush Presidency with the re-emergence of former Governor Jeb Bush?

Anything is possible. It’s kind of ironic that the great New England dynasty that was presumed, the Kennedys, never happened due to circumstances. Yet the Bush name seems to be viable. Jeb Bush’s greatest asset will be his father, 41. His greatest liability will be his brother, 43. I believe Jeb Bush can overcome any negativity about a dynasty worry because he is quick on his feet and has a very open, friendly engaging manner. He seems to be grounded and certainly has name recognition. However, will he have a problem pleasing the right wing of the Republican party? Bush may be attacked by those sharks within his own party and might not make it past the starting gate. An early announcement might help clear the field. Plus if Bush or any Republican nominee is up against say Hillary Clinton or any other Democratic, third terms for a party are tough to make happen. George H.W. Bush succeeded Ronald Reagan in 1988. The last time that happened was 1836 when Martin Van Buren succeeded Andrew Jackson. 

2. Have you seen any of the World Baseball Classic? 

No. 

3. Read any decent books lately? 

Just got through Tony Bennett’s “Life Is A Gift”. The tales of his WWII experience as well as his creative battles with Mitch Miller at Columbia were pretty entertaining. Up next is the bio of Thomas Jefferson by Jon Meecham and Calvin Coolidge that I got as gifts. But it takes time to sit and read with stuff going on. 

4. Do your sources within the Catholic Church regard a Shamrock Shake as a Lenten food?

A Lenten treat, hell a Lenten splurge if you think about it. It is meatless, I’ll give you that but take a look at the calories and fat content on just a medium! I’m not a fanatic when it comes to counting calories (obviously) but that thing is loaded. But I’ll pass this one by my Confessor and see what he says. 

5. Do you remember the Dance program on WNEP on Saturday nights? And who were the hosts? 

I remember TV Bandstand on Saturdays on WNEP. The first host was Sid Friedman. Then it morphed into “Komotion”. The hosts for that show were WWDL’s Doug Lane, Jay Kristopher and then Bob Woody. I was on one of the show’s Lane hosted when I went to St. John’s and I think that might have been early 1970. I’m saying it was ’70 because I remember the first song they played was “Touch Me” by the Doors. But then I remember being at the Skyliner Diner after the show with my date and another couple and “Sweet Mary” by Wadsworth Mansion came on the jukebox there and that was out in ’71. Either way, it was the early 70s. 

6. Are you loving the time change? 

You bet. I hate it being dark at 430pm. That’s nuts. 

7. Should we get out of Afghanistan sooner than late 2014? 

Yes. We failed to follow the lessons of Vietnam as well as what happened to other countries who went into that hellhole. The recent comments by (and I use the word loosely) by our “ally” (Hamid Karzai) are an insult to the memories of those Americans who died fighting in this conflict. I would not only pull the troops I out, I would destroy the infrastructure we spend billions building their country while ours is going to pot. 2 billion a week on this thug and his so called country? Imagine what we can do with that money! We have drones that can pinpoint any terrorist activity. Get out and take all of our stuff. They are not worthy of American troops who gave their lives for their version of “freedom”. 

8. Were you ever a big gulp drinker? 

No, I was satisfied with a nice cold 12 ounce beverage. Never got into the supersized because by the time you got to the end of those mammoth drinks, it was too watered down. 

9. Did you see that Town Meeting on TV the other night put on by your buddies at WYLN? 

Yes I did. WYLN does a very good job in terms of community service. They are a licensed TV station and takes their responsibility pretty seriously. I thought the questions and dialogue were very good. I think Chief Dessoye of Wilkes Barre and Chief D’Andrea certainly outlined the way investigations are conducted. DA Stephanie Salavantis, Reprehensive Tarah Toohill and Senator John Yudichak did more than political posturing. It was a good effort and all my “buddies” should be commended. 

10. They caught that inmate who murdered the prison guard. He was serving time for killing another person. They are talking about the death penalty. Fair? 

No. Don’t have an inquiry that will cost the financially strapped prison system any more money that it already doesn’t have. Kill him now. 

11. What media outlets were you following on the choosing of the new Pope? 

EWTN, CNN and something on Sirius Radio Channel 129 called “Holy Smokes”.
Actress Deborah Shelton played J.R. Ewing’s second wife Mandy Winger. (Photo: Celebrity Beuaties.com) 

12. Okay, so on “Dallas” they killed off JR. For good. Did you see the episode and what did you think? 

I thought it was very good in terms of setting up the rest of the season (the late Larry Hagman would have approved I’m sure and was happy to see them bring J.R.’s second and third wives back too. Mrs. LuLac and I had a slight wager on that one. 

13. The new Stadium at Moosic looks great. I’m sure you’ll be there this year. The Stadium will offer an array of different food. Do you have a regular ballpark staple or do you branch out into more adventurous cuisine? 

I stick with what I always bought at the Vet,  Yankee Stadium, Shea and the previous reincarnation at Moosic. 1 hot dog, 1 Diet and for dessert,  one soft pretzel. Once at Camden Yards I had one of Boog Powell’s rib sandwiches, dry as sawdust. Sticking to the classics.

5 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't agree more with you about Afghanistan. We rebuilt that country for that idiot and his moronic band of savages. Take the guns, the troops and the plumbing. NOW.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

You refer to Martin Van Buren and GHW Bush. Those were the last two to succeed from the Vice Presidency into the Presidency. Parties holding onto the office for more than 8 years is not as much of a rarity. THE GOP held onto the White House in the early 20th century with McKinley, Teddy Roosevelt and Wm. H Taft. The GOP repeated the feat with Harding, Coolidge and Hoover in the 1920's. OF course FDR and Harry Truman kept the office in Dem hands for 5 terms and 20 years. And that is only the 20th century. It is not an impossible feat but I would not be surprised if the US elected another BUsh.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
HE GOP held onto the White House in the early 20th century with McKinley, Teddy Roosevelt and Wm. H Taft. The GOP repeated the feat with Harding, Coolidge and Hoover in the 1920's. OF course FDR and Harry Truman kept the office in Dem hands for 5 terms and 20 years.
VERY TRUE. THANKS FOR POINTING THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT. VICE PRESIDENTS WHO ASSUME THE PRESIDENCY ARE LUCKIER THAN SITTING VICE PRESIDENTS WHO SUCCEED A PRESIDENT LEAVING OFFICE. IF THE GOP KEEPS PUSHING PEOPLE AWAY, CLINTON WILL HAVE A DECENT CHANCE. THANKS AS ALWAYS FOR YOUR HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE. IT IS REFRESHING TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T THINK HISTORY BEGAN ON THE DAY THEY WERE BORN.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THe Komotion program was the winter of '71. Jake and Marion wouldn't let you take the Caprice so you got a ride with Gene D. who wasn't my date! I have no idea why they opened the show with a song from 1969 but I do remember us playing Liz Damon's Orient Express "1900 Yesterday" on those little juke boxes the Skyliner had. All four of us went there after the show. I also remember you had this greasy hot sausage sandwich and red peppers with a scrambled egg. The next time I saw anyone eat that was Uncle June on the Sopranos. We also slow danced to Perry Como's "It's Impossible" and that was also a hit in '71. You loved that song and I was gagging all the way as they played that stupid thing.
Been reading but not responding to any of your stupid opinions because I've been dealing with relative's flood clean up. But I wanted to set your sorry ass straight on when you made your first TV appearance. And to think I was part of that God awful moment in TV history.

YOUR KOMOTION DATE FROM DURYEA

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

Re: Yonk: Thank you for the kind comments, my son.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home