Monday, April 29, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2410, April 29th, 2013

Wilkes Barre Area School Board candidate Jim O’Meara, Senior. (Photo: LuLac archives). 

WHY HE’S RUNNING-JIM O'MEARA, SR.


Hopefully there is reform in the air concerning the Wilkes Barre Area School District. One of the most sincere and hard working candidates running for a seat on the board is Jim O’Meara. Here’s why he’s in the race: 
I am running for School Director because I have two young grandchildren who will grow up in the Wilkes-Barre Area School District. I want them, and all young people in the Wilkes-Barre Area School District, to get the best possible education. 
I also want that investment in their education to be one that doesn't break the backs of taxpayers. To that end, I am making just two campaign promises. I will not waver on these. 
1) If elected, I will not vote for a single hire until Wilkes-Barre Area has enacted an effective policy against nepotism. It can't be a "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" policy. It has to have teeth. It won't matter to me what position is up for hire: Without a policy that sweeps nepotism into the dustbin of our school district's history my vote will always be no. 
2) I will never vote to raise property taxes. We have all heard campaign "promises" before. Frankly, you shouldn't take anything any candidate says at face value. I can only ask you to consider the following and make your own decision. 
I don't have a hidden agenda. I'm not looking to get family and friends jobs in the district. In fact, my family and friends would know better than to even ask. I am unconnected. I don't have relatives on the board or in local government. I have a reputation as one who tries to build bridges and will listen to and consider all points of view before making decisions. 
There will be those who say I will break one or both of those promises. They simply do not know me. I am making those promises not because they are easy, but precisely because they are difficult. 
All I ask is that you give me a chance. Thank you! 
James O'Meara Sr. Republican candidate for City School Director, Wilkes-Barre Area School Board
Matt Cartwright on Colbert. (Photo: Cartwright office). 

THE REVIEWS ARE IN 

Matt Cartwright’s appearance on the Colbert program on “Comedy Central” went well. Colbert interviewed the Congressman in his unique style and I have to say that the Congressman handled the ridiculous questions with cool and aplomb. One place where I cringed was when Colbert spoke Spanish and the subtitles said in Spanish “Get out of my neighborhood” seeming to paint the immigration reform Congressman as anything but that. But the laughs took care of that anxiety. Cartwright gave Colbert lessons in riding a bike and gave the show host a shove as he navigated a colorful two wheeler down the halls of Congress. Colbert crashed into the side of a wall. The Congressman did anything but crash in this latest exposure and adventure unique for a freshman Congressman from our area.
11th District Congressman Lou Barletta (Photo: Congressman Barletta’s office). 

BARLETTA PLAYS BALL 


As you may recall, Rep. Barletta plays in the Congressional baseball game each year. Here he is warming up in the bullpen in practice this week. He believes he can still gas it to up to 80, and can still snap off a curve or two. The proceeds of this event benefit the Boys and Girls Clubs. The game will be played June 13th at Nationals Park. 



LOOK FOR OUR TOP TEN TUESDAY/THURSDAY TWITTER TWEETS @8PM TUESDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHTS.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Professor Milburn Cleaver, OPA said...

Good morning, Students,

With all due respect Mr. Yonki…..young man, as much as I enjoyed your paper pertaining to the “brother” Congressmen, Mr. Cartwright and Mr. Barletta, you failed to point out one very important difference between the two. Here, we have Mr. Cartwright, exposing himself (whilst on the government payroll) to guest star status on a comedic program hosted by an inept and over the top hack, Mr. Colbert. And may I say all the best to Governor Sanford down in the great state of South Carolina!!! Who, made mincemeat of his female opponent in their debate, who happens to be this comedic hack’s sister.
Mr. Barletta is seen as participating in a charitable event, asking NO government funding to help the needy. I ask you all…..who is the better man between the two?????? Give me your answer!!!!

The work of this classroom moves forward……..
Students, speaking of comedy, the media has been all abuzz over these few days past over the stellar performance of President Obama at the White House Correspondents Dinner on Saturday evening. As a viewer of this event, I can attest that there is no doubt but that the President was both humorous/eloquent/ and displayed an enormous wit throughout his nearly 20 minute address. Now, before any of you ingrates faint at my praise I ask you to remember one very important point: The people of the United States did NOT elect a man to be Comedian in Chief but Commander In Chief!!!!
Watching the leader of the free world deliver his one liners to a deserved laughter and applause I could not help but hope that he could conduct himself in the everyday serious issues of the nation and the world in such a competent fashion. Alas, it is not to be. And at past Dinners one can easly recall that President George W. Bush was maligned for his inept performances at these dinners as being “wooden, not funny at all”. Well, perhaps the man from Midland was more concerned with fighting global terror, keeping our economy thriving (as it was under his tutelage) and dealing with all of the other problems facing the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I make these points, class, because it seems to me that the Steven Colberts and John Stewarts of the world seem to be taken more seriously as pontificators of politics as opposed to real journalists. And the President has set a very dangerous precedent by becoming a willing participant. Did you see that ridiculous video of the President portraying the actor Daniel Day Lewis portraying him???? How disrespectful and degrading to the office!!!! And this is the man we twice elected to be President??? No wonder our economy remains in the tank and investment is at a standstill. It is in times like these that I once again say, I miss Mitt Romney.
ON the personal side, the work on my book is progressing at a very brisk pace. I am hoping to have it on shelves by next Fall. However, unless you slackers are familiar with works such as Aristotle’s The Politics or War and Peace, you had best skip the book signing and head down to your local comic book establishment. Just a suggestion…….
Something to think about this morning……
Class Dismissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I would have never guessed, but it seems the Prof. and Little Stevie Corbett are in agreement

 

Post a Comment

<< Home