Friday, May 17, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2424, May 17th, 2013

Our "Interview" logo.
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. (Photo: Wikipedia.com) 
Dr. Joe Leonardi. (Photo: LuLac archives)

INTERVIEW 


CHRIS CHRISTIE'S REVELATION 


New Jersey Governor Chris Christie recently revealed he was having la band surgery. We took the opportunity to speak to Dr. Joe Leonardi on his thoughts regarding this story. 
In our previous conversations about Governor Chris Christie, you seemed impatient with his public stance on weight loss. Is that accurate? 
First off, I just want to be clear that my answers are based on the presumption, that besides being morbidly obese, Governor Christie is in relatively good health and has no underlying metabolic, hormonal or medical conditions that are either causing or contributing to his obesity.  With that in mind; impatient? Not with the Governor, I was vocal about Mayor Bloomberg and his proposed nanny state policies. I have said that if Governor Christie were going to run for President that he needed to take better care of his health; because the strain of running for and being president ages physically fit people and I didn’t think he could take it in his current physical state. Both President George W. Bush and President Obama have shown outward strains of the office, and both were above average in fitness when they took the office. As a person who has had weight issues, like me, what are your thoughts on his recent coming out regarding the lap band procedure? 
My opinions about any bariatric procedures are consistent, I don’t care for them. I don’t speak in my role as a Chiropractor, but as a Physical Culturist and educator; I have some serious concerns about bypassing, constraining or making any other type of alterations to a structurally sound and physiologically healthy body organ or organ system. Is the lap band procedure the least risk but the least effective? The least risky and most effective is a good sound diet, combined with a physical fitness protocol that includes some type of progressive resistance and endurance exercise program. I’m not sure of all the associated risks with the procedure, but of the handful of people I have known who have had some type of bariatric procedure, post surgical malabsorption syndrome is prevalent. 
You have done an incredible job remaking yourself but you’ve done it through diet and exercise. Is it possible that there are some people who can’t keep the weight off? 
Sure. Recidivism is high; hell it happened to me and I am pretty pissed off at myself for allowing it to occur; after more than 3 and half years of keeping the weight off and being physically fit, I recently backslid to the tune of 80 pounds. I have taken sole responsibility for allowing it to happen, which I am talking about on my blog and YouTube channel. I have caught it and I am now back on track. Once obese, one must be vigilant for a lifetime. There is no magic cure; not in a bottle nor at the end of a surgeon’s scalpel. There are people who have had some type of invasive bariatric procedure, who have gained back weight. Out of the dozen or so people I have met who have had some type of procedure, only one person kept it off for the long term, another binged so heavily that a very serious medical complication occurred. I think there are those that believe this procedure is a panacea, and it will make up for a poor diet and lack of an effective exercise plan. It is not an easy path; I would argue that it is actually a much more difficult option, because as the digestive tract is altered, there are other issues that arise. If the base problem of why one, who is otherwise healthy, does not take care of themselves isn’t addressed, recidivism, even after the surgery is almost a certainty. I did some serious soul searching on my recent weight gain, which I discuss here: http://fatthenfitnow.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/the-introspection-triology/. It was only after I came to terms with the fact that I allowed certain stressors to trigger my gluttony and sloth, that I was able to correct my mental energy and tackle my recidivism head on, with full force and vigor. It is my hope that I have learned from this failure, and don’t repeat it --- but I am very well aware of the fact that I may, so I must remain both vigilant and responsible. 
If you were Chris Christie’s coach, Doctor, what would you have done differently with him? That is difficult to answer because I don’t know his overall history. However, I can say that if I were his friend, I would have advised against the surgery and to start properly eating and exercising. It takes a strong will and hard work to get to be the Governor of a state; I would have shown him how to tap into his better qualities to improve his physical fitness level. I would try to sway him to think differently. Instead of focusing on weight loss, I would push him to bring his attention to improving his overall physical fitness. Being slender, slim or thin is not a guarantee of good physical health or conditioning. There are plenty of folks out there who are not overweight, but eat a crappy diet, and the most movement they do is tracking a mouse of pressing the buttons of a remote control --- and you want to know something? They too are at risk of serious health issues. The idea that simply losing weight is the answer is profoundly misguided. Weight loss is a side effect of fitness; fitness is not the end result of weight loss. 
In your view, is Christie waving a white flag to all those who want to lose weight and just take this approach as an out? 
A white flag? God no. Any type of surgical procedure carries serious risks and complications; I think this was a move he made because many are now convinced that this is a viable treatment option for obesity. I hope that he is not under the false perception that the surgery will cure what ails him; because it won’t. He can backslide, and whatever may have led to his issues can return. It is kind of sad, because as I said earlier, the focus should not be on strictly losing weight, the emphasis needs to be on improving overall physical conditioning. 
Would you be inclined to vote for Chris Christie regardless of his weight? 
I’m not sure. There is both good and bad about him as a leader and politician. Politics aside, my concern about voting for him would have little to do with his weight and/or appearance, but with the concern that if elected, he would remain healthy enough to serve effectively. 
Any message you’d like to send to people who might want to contact you regarding this subject? 
There are plenty of ways to reach me; email docjoeleonardi@betterlifeseminars.com, web site www.obesityundone.com, blog www.fatthenfitnow.wordpress.com, YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BetterLifeSeminars, Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BetterLifeSeminars?ref=tn_tnmn, and I am on twitter https://twitter.com/FatThenFitNow. I give a lot of information on both my blog and YouTube channel, and my book “Obesity Undone,” is still available through Amazon in both paperback and kindle. Additionally, I am in the process of writing a series of short kindle books discussing my recidivism. Dr. Joe Leonardi, D.C. is the president and CEO of Leonardi Chiropractic Wellness Office, PC and BetterLife Seminars by Fat Then Fit Now, INC. He is the author of the life-changing book Obesity Undone, Fat Then Fit Now 2nd edition. He has a B.S. from University of the State of New York and his Doctor of Chiropractic from New York Chiropractic College. He is an adjunct faculty at Luzerne County Community College teaching Anatomy and Physiology. He has acted as the team chiropractor for the Arena Football League 2’s Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers, the semi-professional football teams the Scranton Eagles and the NEPA Miners, the women’s roller derby Coal City Rollers and has provided chiropractic care at powerlifting and strong man events. He has made numerous television, radio and internet appearances to discuss the topics of fitness, wellness, obesity, childhood obesity and how childhood obesity relates to bullying.

11 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Professor Milburn Cleaver, OPA said...

Good morning students,

For those of you who showed up and found the door locked these past few days, I am sorry. I received a call from a dear friend from Texas who invited me to spend a few days at his ranch as well as undertake a tour of his various oil fields. I must say after being there for several days it was quite an interesting experience. If you ingrates could see the work and devotion that goes into filling your gas tanks (via your parents cash) you would be less down on the industry and more appreciative. I also received an invitation to attend this year’s Preakness today from a colleague, yet , decided to decline. There are many parts of the country and world where I love to travel…..Maryland is not one of them. It is hard enough living in this God forsaken commonwealth.

The work of this classroom moves forward………
Students, can anyone in this classroom explain to me what on Earth is going on with our President!!??!! Is he suffering from a breakdown of some sort???? Or has he just simply lost his ability to follow along with his teleprompter??? Give me your answer!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cringed last Thursday when I watched the President during his rose garden press meet up (w/ the Turkish PM). Suddenly a small drizzle of rain appeared (does this administration not do simple research of weather conditions???? Why so moronic to hold a gathering outdoors during threatening meteorological conditions?????). The Commander In Chief summoned two U.S. Marine corporals to do “umbrella duty”. As I looked into the eyes of the Marine holding the President’s umbrella, I could see sheer disgust. The look on his face told all. I can imagine him thinking, “What the hell am I doing here playing Mary Poppins when I should be with the grunts in Afghanistan. This is not why I joined the Corps.!!!”.
It seems that after all the scandals (too many to mention here) occurring this week that the President must have a wish for disaster with this silly notion. I recall a 15 degree day on January 20, 1961 when on the Capitol steps John F. Kennedy took the oath of office. Prior to approaching the dais to greet Chief Justice Warren, he removed his overcoat. Kennedy stood for nearly twenty minutes without a coat in bitter cold. Say what you want about the man’s short tenure in office, but he knew the proper way to use symbolism.
I equally recall Ronald Reagan delivering a speech during a rainstorm. What I don’t recall is a Marine holding an umbrella over the President’s head. I can still see the Gipper smiling, his dark hair deflecting the rain drops, whilst that powerful voice echoed conservative values of freedom, heart and home.
So, here we are. This is what we have been left with as far as the Presidency is concerned. A first lady who unlike a Mamie Eisenhower or a Nancy Reagan, does not care to act dignified. Instead of hosting teas at the White House she does immoral dances with ingrate comedians on late night television. Instead of a burning of the late night oil (think JFK during the Cuban crisis, or Reagan during the economic disaster he inherited) we now have late night elitist White House parties.
Again, I take you back to that Marines eyes and face from the other day. He does duty at the White House each day. He has been witness to all of this. You need not wonder what he is thinking. It’s as clear as the nose on your face, or the water hitting your umbrella.
Something to think about this morning……..
Class Dismissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Professor Is An Ahole said...

Perhaps professor you should have submitted that for write on wed, because it had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
You are a fool for posting it, but Yonki who stifles genuine debate about Walter and the attention of his bormance affection Steve Corbett, should not have posted it here.
Dr Leonard gave a very insightful, thoughtful interview and you ranted on without even mentioning the topic.
WTF is your problem? and Yonki WTF is yours? This professor is barely tolerable when he is on topic, but jesus christ, this had nothing at all to do with the topic.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Airbag probably caused the tornado in Texas! What a fantasy world this poor "ingrate" lives in.
I imagine posting etc is good therapy along with basket making and finger painting. Hey ass____,
most of us just don't read your bullshit! Its worse than the once abandoned, lengthy return of the INTERVIEW section of Lulac.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, I like the interview segment. At least its better than it was. It has something to do about something in the news. I could imagine Yonki going up to random people lie Raymond Babbitt trying to get some angle. Yonk, will this segment be a daily bill of fare but just on an as needed basis?

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

It's a well-known fact that the U.S. Marines stationed at the WH are in the occupation of guards/valets serving at the pleasure of the President.
Pres. Obama is not the first President to utilize Marines in this way.
I have seen other Presidents with Marines or other armed servicemen shielding them with an umbrella.
Those Marines are from the military district of Washington....they are stationed at Arlington. It is one of the most elite units in the armed forces and not just anyone gets in. It is there job to preside over cermonial events, from military funerals to parades to guard duty at the Tomb of the Unknowns.
The right will protest anything this president does, which only makes them look more and more ridiculous.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Observation: Since you open the comments ostensibly to leave one or read one "on topic" why don't you?

Why read or respond to the Prof's posting? It's not like he catches us unawares. His intro and format are signature. No matter WHAT he says you manage to work up some rage and spew hate and profanity at HIM - not his ideas.

Its like a turrets clinic of uncontrollable 13-year-olds on speed.

He establishes his premise and supports it with example. My God - he pulled Kennedy's and Reagan's inauguration out of his hat. The least anyone can do is meet him with equal (or better) rebuttal. That is IF you have a thought to express or a point to make.

Don't like the interview section? Start your own and compete with Yonk. Better yet: pass on it.

The interview today was solid. Doc knows his stuff. You don't HAVE to buy into it totally but pick up enough info that's attractive to YOU and you just might get something started you never expected.

To agree in total with anything you read, hear or see is just being intellectually lazy.

Don't agree with or understand something the Doc or Prof says? Try asking a question seeking clarification and go from there.

You just might find you get transported out of the locker room and into the living room.

BTW: You are clueless when it comes to your claim about Yonk's stifling Corbett criticism. He left more media understanding on the operating table than you can ever hope to experience. I say he walks the professional line with grace. You have no idea the background and business savvy Yonk has in this media market. Until you do don't get all worked up when your post gets "sixed". It wasn't worth it - didn't make the cut.

Note the absence of any profanity - its really not that hard.

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to remember "H" getting a ration of grief for having an umbrella held over him by a Marine.

Google results:

Apparently "Bubba" stayed out of the rain.

"W" held his own umbrella. Probably remembering what happened to his dad.

Personally I suspect the President's staff is preoccupied with other things than history.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since this blog is off topic already, Yonk, did you hear your girl Geena Davis on NPR this morning?

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and were you playing a little pocket pull? just posted about Geena!!!!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Since this blog is off topic already, Yonk, did you hear your girl Geena Davis on NPR this morning?
YES, SHE WAS FANTASTIC.
and were you playing a little pocket pull? just posted about Geena!!!!
THE ANSWER IS NO. I HAVEN'T HEARD THAT ONE SINCE 6th GRADE!

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great interview, it would have been better to have a clear break between the questions and answers. I thought Dr. Leonardi was rambling at times, but then I realized that there were questions he was answering.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home