Monday, July 15, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2473, July 15th, 2013

Our “Maybe I’m Amazed” logo. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….at the Tunkhannock woman charged last week for providing multiple cases of beer for his son and friends so they could party inside the home. One of the kids drinking at the house was involved in a fatal accident. After the woman was charged, she said she tried to be more of a friend to her son than a mother. Turns out she was not only a pretty questionable mother but a pretty crappy friend too! 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that Hawaii is the only state in the union that actually grows coffee. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……….that President Obama is finally coming to the realization that the sooner we pull out of Afghanistan, the better. There have been numerous instances of President Karziai doing the old bob and weave with this administration. Last week’s statement by the President certainly sent a n overdue signal. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that the house in West Pittston had cash on hand of $750,000 and was the headquarters for illegal bath salt distribution and a gathering place for white supremacists. My question is where did the majority of the cash from, the drug entrepreneurs or the bigots? 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that life has now gone on here in LuLac land now that Derek Jeter has left town. On his first day back from rehab, “The Captain” pulled some quad muscles. It is fair to wonder if on his next rehab, wherever that might be, will Jeter be doing the restaurant tours or just sitting put? 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that when people are charged with violent crimes in the area, bail is set reasonably high. But then when a bondsman gets involved, money is made available for the get out of jail card. But when a suspect commits another crime, are they not skipping bail and violating those terms? Last week, there has been more discussion about bail in these parts than there has been for a long time. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that a Quartz Crystal in a wristwatch vibrates 32,768 times a second. 
MAYBE I'M AMAZED………that as I researched the Presidential election of 1976 for our LuLac feature year, Jerry Brown’s name keeps coming up very prominently. Brown was the wunderkind youth Governor who challenged Jimmy Carter for President and did well in some big states. Equally amazing s that Brown 37 years later is once more the Governor of California. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane said the ban against gay marriage in the state is unconstitutional. That’s one of those things that a more seasoned lawyer might think but not say publicly. This opens up all kinds of legal ramifications for this court battle in the state. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that everything Walter Griffith does now is getting major scrutiny because of his legal battles for wiretapping charges. Griffith named Patty Llewellyn as an emissary for him just in case he cannot serve in his office. Griffith was following the rules of the Home Rule Charter because his Deputy, Dan Chipeto resigned to take another position. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……….that Congressman Tom Marino wants to use Congressional powers to sue members of the Obama administration. He’s doing this because he feels the Attorney General Eric Holder is not enforcing the law. As least as Marino sees it. From Andrew Seder’s story in The Times Leader: “If the chief law enforcer of the country … will not enforce the law, and the president decides to break the law because he doesn’t like it, there has to be another mechanism by which we in Congress can kick into gear, pursue this, see if there are criminal charges we can file,” Marino said during an appearance on the David Madeira Show on “94.3 The Talker” in Scranton. But the GOP House aren’t obstructionists, right? 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that yesterday would have been the 100th birthday of one of the most underrated Presidents of the 20th century. Born Leslie King, he was adopted at a young age and became Gerald Ford. Lyndon Johnson said he wasn’t that smart and played football too long without a helmet. My die hard Democrat dad even derided him referring to him as “Henry Ford”. But Ford made a ballsy decision in pardoning Richard Nixon because he felt the country could not go through the trauma of a former President being led off to jail in a jump suit. That cost him the election along with the decision to jettison Nelson Rockefeller as his Vice President, Rocky I believe would have helped him carry New York. Ford lived to a ripe old age dying on December 26th, 2006. Before he died, his decision to pardon Nixon was vindicated when the Kennedy Library gave him the “Profiles In Courage Award” for that action.

7 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice mention of Gerry Ford. Met him in '86 when Marc Holtzman was running for Congress.

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

“If the chief law enforcer of the country … will not enforce the law, and the president decides to break the law because he doesn’t like it, there has to be another mechanism by which we in Congress can kick into gear, pursue this, see if there are criminal charges we can file,” Marino said ... But the GOP House aren’t obstructionists, right?

So someone who believes that a law is being broken and law enforcement refuses to respond is labeled "obstructionist"?

You have been an obstructionist re: drunken underage college students, questionable bail practices, mayoral financial practices, courthouse "shenanigans" and more.

Personally, I want the administrations feet held to the fire. Things stopped with Bush and the media is riding free and easy.

'I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.'

'I Eric Holder, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and
defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,
foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to
the same; that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.'

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

President Ford the most accomplished athlete ever in the White House developed a reputation as a clumsy clutz. Obama does have a sweet jump shot, but Ford was an All American Football Player. Part of Fords problem was Chevy Chase, who? of SNL. Funny how things work out aint it? Ford was OK in my book. He was handed a tough situation as the accidental president. Bush II threw out a nice first pitch on a couple of occasions and of course Kennedy excelled in bedroom sports! Washington was said to have a helluva an arm! So much for athletes in the White House although I'm sure I overlooked someone.

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Professor Milburn Cleaver, OPA said...

Good morning Students,

Surprisingly for an early Tuesday most of you look clear eyed and alert. Perhaps this past weekend, you decided to stay home, rise early and “hit the books”, drink some tomato juice (minus the vodka), and eat a few hearty meals before you turned in at 10 o’clock. Or perhaps Mommy did not leave any of her hard earned money in her purse this time around for you to steal, so you were left high and dry; forced to hide from your various dealers and bookies. I tend to lean on the latter. Nevertheless, it is a pleasure to deliver a lecture to a classroom that is at least non- comatose for a change. I myself enjoyed a quiet weekend, played a little morning golf before the heat became intense and spent my afternoons in quiet solitude researching my next publication. I understand that my present book has yet to hit the presses but it always does one good to keep ahead and concentrate on the future via RESEARCH!!!!!
The work of this classroom moves forward……….
Students, there are many moments in time when one recalls where they were when they were told of an event. The bombing of Pearl Harbor, FDR’s death, the Kennedy Assassination, the first man on the moon, etc. etc. These are events in which we use to date things in our life by. The George Zimmerman acquittal was no exception. I myself was just finishing up a debate amongst my brethren at the club (as to whether Lincoln or Reagan was the best Republican President-------I myself lean slightly towards honest Abe), when the word came of Mr. Zimmerman’s freedom.
President John F. Kennedy once remarked, “Americans are free to disagree with the law, but not to disobey it.” I refer to this remark in light of the many protests and pontificating of Monday morning quarterbacking journalists following the Zimmerman verdict. Let it be known that the system worked. You ingrates may believe that the jury was wrong, but they were the JURY!!! And the verdict they rendered is legitimate. It does you no good to waste your time protesting and crying foul. There was no foul. There is equally no question that it is quite possible that Zimmerman’s defense team was more prepared than the Prosecution and conducted their RESEARCH far more competently.
A trial verdict is much like the turnout of a sporting event……no result will ever win unanimous approval nor will it ever. I recall the O.J. Simpson verdict in 1995 (another one of those moments where one remembers where he was at the time). I was NOT happy with the not guilty verdict. I felt the Prosecution inept, the Defense savvy and RESEARCHED, and the jury to be a group of total morons-----not to mention the entire process being overseen by the incompetent publicity seeking Judge Ito. And still, the verdict was/is the LAW. Once more, I refer you to JFK’s words. I was not happy, but I did not run into the streets screaming or attending candlelight vigils. I did not like it. BUT I ACCEPTED IT.
Which is something everyone needs to do today regarding the Zimmerman verdict. We may never know the full story of what occurred that evening. But two things are a certainty. Travon Martin is gone and will not return. And God will ultimately pass the final judgment on this one, as he will on all others.
Something to think about this morning……..
Class Dismissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marino and his Republican cohorts voted 43 times to repeal Obamacare. Now he wants to arrest President Obama for delaying implementation of just one part of the Affordable Care Act. Is this guy for real? What an embarrassment it is to have Marino represent us in Congress.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Marino and his Republican cohorts voted 43 times to repeal Obamacare. Now he wants to arrest President Obama for delaying implementation of just one part of the Affordable Care Act. Is this guy for real? What an embarrassment it is to have Marino represent us in Congress.
I AGREE. WHEN I THINK ABOUT A GUY LIKE DAVID MADIERA OR DOC LEONARDI NOT BEING THE CONGRESSMAN AND THIS GUY THERE, IT REALLY UPSETS ME. GLAD I'M NOT IN HIS DISTRICT.

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe I am saying this, I agree with the guy who calls himself the Professor on this post. I hope I'm not hit by lightning saying this!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home