Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2493, August 13th, 2013

Our “13 Questions” logo. 

13 QUESTIONS 

1. It’s been quiet politically. Is that a good or bad thing? 

Well the ballot this November is going to be pretty lean. With Walter Griffith out of the race for Luzerne County Controller and two tax and fee deadbeats running for Mayor of Scranton, it’s going to be dull. There is a race for the Wilkes Barre Area School Board but not much else going on. All the political hacks got their relatives jobs this summer so their bellies are full at least for the time being. It’ll be a light turnout. 

2. Did you play the Powerball when it got huge and do you play it often? 

When the Jackpot gets big, yes. I played at Sheild’s in Parsons on the way to work and at the Sanitary in Nanticoke on the way home. No luck. That gomer from Minnesota won it. 

3. If you won it, would your life change radically? 

I’d like to say no but it does. You have to be smart and discreet. I might buy a ’57 Chevy and gets some shoes I need fixed that no shoemaker seems to want to touch, but that’s it. If I gave it away to people, I’d put it in a trust so they wouldn’t blow it all on stupid crap. You’d have to give it away to some people. I go by the old adage of the late “Pidge” Watson of the Sunday Dispatch. He once told me that once you get past the two million mark, you get into dangerous territory like buying body parts and strange animals like Michael Jackson used to. “Pidge” said you can only have so many houses, so many cars, so many vacations. He was right. 

4. Best and worst part of summer? 

It’s ending. I hate the sun going down at 8PM. Best part is I lived through another one. 

5. With Walter Griffith out of the race for Controller, do the Democrats have an advantage? 

Depends on how the GOP handles his replacement and if Michelle Bednar mounts just as effective a campaign in the fall as she did in the spring against Steve Urban, Senior. Bet he’s wishing he stayed put as a Republican. 

6. Did you hear the new NBC Sports Network yet and do you like it? 

Yes and yes. There’s a few castoffs from ESPN but I like the way they cover things. Although I’m sick of hearing about Johnny Mizel which is one reason why I never followed college ball. Why should I care about a kid who has no clue on how to behave? I like my babies and criminals in the Pros. 
Radio seems to be going full circle. I remember as a kid local stations having the networks fill weekend programs. There was Gene Rayburn, Bill Cullen and a few others on NBC "Monitor" and CBS had a feed during the day too. So I guess you'll see more of that and way less local. I mean there are no newscasts on local radio during the weekend. Thank God for weekend crews from WBRE and WNEP.  L.A. Tarone is the only news local on the weekend on WILK.

7. Do you think there should be a state law that prohibits candidates who owe fees and back taxes from running? 

Absolutely! Why should these deadbeats hold office when the citizens who pay their salaries and do the right thing subsidize their laziness, shiftlessness, dishonesty or lack of respect for government (take your pick) when they run for our trust. 

8.  What are your thoughts on the movement among Conservative groups asking young people to burn an Obama Health Care card like anti war protesters did in the 60s? 

Ridiculous. 
First off, there are no Obama Health Care cards. These guys are making them for the protesters. 
Second, they are encouraging people who don’t have health care to not get it. How irresponsible. Will they pay the medical bills of the uninsured protesters if they got sick or injured? 
Of course not, they’re Republicans and you’re on your own kid. The medical bills would be incurred by ER treatment that would be paid by current policy holders doing the right thing. Something the Affordable Health Care Act is trying to prevent! 
Silly. 
These pieces of garbage would crap their pants if they ever had to put it on the line for a real cause like Vietnam or Civil Rights. 

9. Any future books in your future? 

Working on two but time is tight. Not enough time in the day. More to follow. 

10. Dave, it’s been a while……a little Banana Phone please? 

Maybe.

11. Best corn of the summer? 

Doran’s in Hanover Township. A few other local stands, one that is open on Sunday Mornings in Mountaintop. Golomb's in Plains is good too.

12. Ever try Jones Potato Pancakes out at the Lake? 

Yes. I thought they are overrated and horrible. But people seem to like them although I have no idea why. My opinion only but people seem to think they are the best.  Obviously they never had them from a Slovak or Polish grandma!

13. When can we expect to see some Topic A on LuLac? 

Very soon. We are a few editions away from making it happen.

6 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the banana phone!!!!!!!

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, this election is going to be a yawner if you ask me. Too bad Walter shot himself in the foot!

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind pancakes, get me some of Yonk's medications. Banana phone? Imagine watching that with Colorado weed.

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes dave I love the bakery
in Nanticoke the best you need
to get your books out sooner than later really need something good to read for once your other books were very good and a fantastic read
so lets roll lol......

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave-
In your experience have you ever seen a bigger jerk running for any office than former congressman Anthony, Carlos Danger, Weiner?
He is the gift that keeps on giving for comedians, but a terrible embarrassment for New Yorkers, politicians everywhere and decent people in general. I think Weiner is going to be hard to top, but easy to beat. Go away, Carlos, please! Please!

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the Republicans can get past being stupid and put up a candidate who has the right experience in auditing as well as management. If they do the right thing and get the right candidate, I will be voting for one of the few Republicans I've ever voted for. Bednar is a candidate but I just don't see her as a good Controller and for the life of me, I don't see her experience when I lok at her background. Looks to me like there is a lot of fuge on paper with no substance. Just saying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home