Friday, September 13, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2517, September 13th, 2013

Our “13 Questions” logo. 

13 QUESTIONS

1. Did the President make the right decision on Syria?

I think so but he took a long while to get to it. And you can argue the point as to who made the decision for him. The fact that he asked for a vote tells you he wanted political cover. If the Congress said no, he could step away. If the situation got worse, he could act unilaterally and repudiate Congress risking impeachment. But fate or John Kerry’s slip of the tongue and Vladimir Putin’s reaction saved this country, as well as the President some angst at least for a while. If this deal with Russia works, Obama can claim a victory saying he took the diplomatic route and also took the advice of the Russians thus bolstering our relationship. You’ll see how they spin this.

2. What are you thoughts on the recent teacher strikes?

A few things. First off, I know many good teachers. They are dedicated and really look out for the kids. They spend the summers refreshing themselves and getting ready for the new school year by keeping up on educational trends.
On the other hand, I’ve seen a lot of teachers in my day who are complete jokes. These are the people who moonlight during the year and have summer jobs. Think about this, you’re making over 70,000 grand a year and you need to take a summer job? In this area and in this job market, that is a travesty. That job could go to someone else trying to scrape by.
The School Boards are pretty much worthless because each Director is put there by a block of voters who want something. And those who don’t have blocks of voters can easily be threatened. Watch someone who is well liked and well known make a threat to run against a school board member and guess who gets a job? The wife, cousin, son or daughter of the guy or woman threatening to run.
The teachers have to enter the real world. I pay $112.80 every two weeks, or $225.60 a month. I have a $2500.00 deductible and make considerbly less than a teacher. I’m okay with paying because I know the value and responsibility of being insured. Always have since I was a kid. But what concerns me is the lack of regard the Unions have for the general public. Property taxes pay the salaries of the teachers. And for the teachers to complain about paying a $60.00 copay is a joke.
Teachers will say the kids don’t respect the teachers because the parents badmouth them at home because of their contract. I can’t defend parents who bash educators but I can’t defend teachers and their unions who will not acknowledge that they are part of the problem.
The teachers are fast becoming an entity like the national Republican Party. Once upon a time, Democrats like me would vote for a Republican. But the party has become so unreasonable that I’d vote for a dog rather than vote for another Republican running nationwide. The Teachers and their unions have become so self centered, selfish and uncompromising that to many, not all, but too many the profession is being portrayed not as honorable but as a bunch of self important money grabbers who don’t give a rat’s ass about anything but their salary. I will not live to see it but one day, if this keeps up, Pennsylvania will become Wisconsin and there will be a concerted attempt to not only decrease the power of the unions but eliminate them all together.

3. Yonk,  Yankees in the playoffs even without Jeter?

It can be possible and if it happens, you’d have to love A Rod playing under suspension and the Yanks manager Joe Girardi getting Manager of the Year. A Rod has a clause in his contract that if he hits 660 home runs, he gets another 6 million bucks. He is at 653. If the Yanks are not in contention and A Rod goes on a tear and get close, watch the Yanks sit him instead of coughing up more money.

4. What are your thoughts on Home Rule in Lackawanna County?

They are making the effort to adopt a charter. The last meeting floated a plan where Lackawanna County would divide itself into districts. I think that might make an interesting concept but we shall see.

5. Saw you on TV with Congressman Barletta and Tarone last week. What can you tell your readers about the Congressman that many of us who don’t know him might be interested in?

The guy is an NFL die hard. He loves the Fantasy Football Leagues and is an active participant. Barletta was quite the baseball player but really knows his NFL.

6. Luzerne County Controler’s race. Bednar or Medico Olenginski?

Too early to tell but it will all depend on who gets the more loyal hardcore supporters out. Right now, I’d give the edge to Carolee

7. Okay Yonk, you’re on desert island with this tall redhead. Her name is Kathy Griffin. What do you do?

Keeping in mind there is an exception to every rule……….I hide. Failing that, I slice my ears off.

8. Are you still not eating Subway because of their stand on Obama Care?

Yep. Buying my subs at Third Base, Safari Citgo in Drums and Primo’s.

9. Sorry about your girl Sharapova not making the U.S. Open this year. Is the end near?


Yeah, she should get a contract with Vogue or some other magazine. Or maybe TV. Her time is running out but I still love her.

10. I read on Facebook that you got rid of tee shirts. What are the oldest ones you salvaged?


From 1989, a Packers tee that literally has the design washed off and an Indians Tee not too far behind. Plus my Howard Dean for President shirt. That one was a keeper!

11. Will you be attending Blogfest?

I’ll try. Depends on what happens in Hazleton that night, how the week went and if the Red Mill is a dump or not. I don’t do dumps.

12. What did you think of Pope Francis firing the Italian Secretary of State?

I think he sent a message loud and clear and that will only be a good thing as far as the organization of the Church.

13. I saw your 1976 edition yesterday and could not help but noticed you featured the cover of Playboy. Read a lot of those magazines in college Yonk?

As John Webster’s character on Rock 107, Walter Nepasky used to say “Don’t laugh!” When I was in college, the three top men’s magazines vying for number one were Playboy, Penthouse and Larry Flynt’s Hustler. And I kid you not, there were a lot of people reading those magazines for the articles. Some of the classic in depth Playboy Interviews were big news like the Carter one. Penthouse had articles on the Trilateral Commission and broke several stories on human rights violations in Latin America. And Hustler, even though it was the most raunchy and degrading to women gave you a monthly chronicle of Larry Flynt’s obscenity trial complete with legal briefs. Playboy has been taken over by Hugh Hefner’s daughter, Penthouse is pretty much out of business and Larry Flynt is still causing mayhem across America. But when all three were vying for readers and advertising dollars, they also decided to throw in some investigative political reporting to add legitimacy to their efforts.

18 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki, ironic that out of all the photos you can find of Sharapova, you pick that one!
You can take the Catholic boy out of the school..........but you can never take the Catholic out of the boy. Or something like that!!!!

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, It astounds me how you can offer an opinion on something of which you know nothing. Have you ever been in the Red Mill? Have you been in it this past year since they remodeled the entire building? Do you know the crowd that frequents the Mill? My guess is NO to all of the above. Rob Johnson who operates the business is a quality guy and the people who favor the Red Mill over other such establishments are not of the "bum" crowd. You will find professionals as well as blue collor workers along with a few who are self emlployed. You reaaly need to do two things, first apologize to Rob Johnson and his patrons and then visit the Mill and gain some hands on experience before you shoot from the lip. Yes I'm a patron and as far as bars go, Rob operates a quality business and has zero tolerance for trouble makers. If one should slip in, it isn't long before being shown the door. In fact, you will often find state and local police officers there off duty. Shame Yonk, shame.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
You reaaly need to do two things, first apologize to Rob Johnson and his patrons and then visit the Mill and gain some hands on experience before you shoot from the lip. Yes I'm a patron and as far as bars go, Rob operates a quality business and has zero tolerance for trouble makers. If one should slip in, it isn't long before being shown the door. In fact, you will often find state and local police officers there off duty. Shame Yonk, shame.
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA. I NEVER SAID IT WAS A DUMP. I SAID I WANTED TO SEE IF IT WAS A DUMP OR NOT. BY YOUR RESPONSE YOU SEEM TO BE TELLING ME IT ISN'T. AND THAT'S FINE. TO MR. JOHNSON, I APOLOGIZE.
BUT THE FACT IS, JUDGING BY YOUR COMMENTS TO ME THAT PREFACED THE SHAME REMARK, REGARDING ZERO TOLERANCE IT SEEMS TO ME YOU ARE IMPLYING THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM BEFORE. I'M GLAD THEY HAVE THEIR ACT TOGETHER AND FROM THE OUTSIDE IT LOOKS FINE. BUT I'M AT A POINT IN MY LIFE WHERE I USE ALL OF MY OFF TIME JUDICIOUSLY. AND BEFORE I GO TO ANY PLACE, BAR, JOINT, RESTAURANT, I DON'T CARE IF THE POPE, JESUS AND BABE RUTH ARE THERE, I WANT TO KNOW I'M NOT GOING TO A DUMP. AS FAR AS YOU TELL ME, IT'S NOT A DUMP. THAT'S FINE.
MY ONLY STATEMENT WAS NOT TO DEMEAN THE RED MILL, BUT TO EXPRESS MY OPINION (WHICH I DO WITH MY NAME NEARLY EVERY DAY HERE!) ON MY PREFERENCES FOR PLACES TO SPEND MY TIME. IF BLOGFEST WERE BEING HELD AT TED'S EATERY AND BRAWLING ESTABLISHMENT OR PIERRE'S FINE CUISINE, I'D MAKE THE SAME STATEMENT. I'LL GO AS LONG AS IT'S NOT A DUMP. I REPEAT, I DON'T DO DUMPS!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki does 13 questions and I'm expecting the comments on the teachers to get him hassles and he gets crap about the Red Mill.
Look, I don't care where Blogfest is just as long as I can get a drink. I ate at Rooney's once and it was very good but it was a one on one situation on a Wednesday. In my two visits to Blogfest, I never could get a drink because they never had enough help to handle the crowd. I'm thirsty. Please note.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 1:02 AM......if you had read "A Radio Tale", Yonk's first book, you would completely understand the words tall, young, modest and blue dress with high collar.

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This might sound superficial.....but I saw the teachers striking on TV. And they were dressed like late night shoppers at WAlmart!!!
I mean really, you are supposed to be professionals and you look like you just rolled out of bed?
No wonder school districts have to impose dress codes on the kids. I used to think it was because the parents didn't give a shit but I'm thinking it might be the way teachers look these days.
Awful.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk's criteria about how he spends his free time is spot on.

At some point in life we decide the baseline for everything, like:
*no longer waiting in line for anything
*no longer going to concerts and events in venues that suck, acoustically and visually
*no longer accepting less than is stated on menus, contracts, etc.
*intolerant of having my expectations ignored, especially when money is involved

The flip side is respecting those that meet or exceed your criteria.

I get ya Yonk - enjoy your Red Mill "research".

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lackawanna county operates under Home Rule right now. They did eliminate and combine the ROW Offices and retained the 3 Commissioners to run the government. I wish Luzerne county had done that. Voters blame the form of government on the fact that they don't vote and when they do, they don't know squat about the candidates. Just go to a candidate debate and look at how few give a damn. The quality of our candidates is another indicator of how people really feel about government. LONG LIVE THE KING!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Junction said...

Dave, you are right on the mark with the teacher strike. Yes unions have been instrumental in shaping our work force but it may be time to re look the purpose of "some" of them.
We no longer have people working in sweat shops for long hours and at low wages thanks to "organized" labor. What we have today is what I would call "Dis" organized labor. Almost like the tail waging the dog syndrome. There is only so much taxpayers can afford to payout to support the school districts and their operations.
With the tax base shrinking instead of growing it falls back on the taxpayer. With new businesses getting a free ride given to them from the local chamber of commerce. When their years of free taxes has come to turn they pull up stakes and leave the valley.
These are only a few of the many reasons taxpayers are fed up with our local elected officials from local, school, county, state, federal entities. Maybe we should thank God for what we already have and not wanting more at someone else's expense. It seems we have become a society of ALWAYS having our cake and getting seconds and sometimes thirds. It's time to look for the common good in everything we do.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was tooling around town yesterday and heard Sue Henry's weekend show. (edited)
Sue really was at her best trying to see the both sides of the issues on the Wyoming Area School strike. I was very impressed with the way she asked John Dean the Board negotiator to explain the process.
What stunned me was that the teachers are getting 12% raises over 4 years (I'd take that in a heartbeat) and refused to negotiate in the summer.
We also demean school boards but Sue got out of Dean a point no one thinks about, a school director has to leave their job without pay to attend a meeting. The taxpayers pay the teachers.
Not fair. Thanks Sue for clarifying these issues and (edited)

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard Sue Henry's program yesterday on WILK and then this morning on KRZ. Wow, that represemntative from Wyoming Araa teachers was really pathetic. I wish I could "suggest" a health plan instead of having my boss jam it down my throat. Sue very exasperated and did not get a straight answer from this woman.
On another note, (edited)

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard Sue Henry's weekend program this morning. I was on the fence about the teachers until I heard this. Attorney Deann said that the teachers have Blue Cross Traditional Indemity. And they are complaining? Really? That is the top of the line, Cadillac plan. Plus they get to put their husbands and kids on it. I have no sympathy for any of them while I have a 5,000 deductible, pay like Yonk does hundreds of dollars a month out of my pay WHILE I PAY FOR THEM TO HAVE BLUE CROSS TRADITIONAL.
It is time to break these unions. And consider this, how many bad teachers are the unions protecting?
By the Sue, sounding good and I really hope you can go national one day. (edited).

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you please backup your claim Barletta was quite a baseball player. and please don't point to the fact he tried out for a pro team. Many people do that. He tried out ,they said go home. this ongoing story that he was some sort of baseball pheon has NO legs

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

10:49

I've narrowed my circle of acquaintances using the same philosophy. Now I got friends.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
10:49.....I've narrowed my circle of acquaintances using the same philosophy. Now I got friends.
NOW THAT IS SOMETHING I TRULY UNDERSTAND. AND AGAIN, I'M SORRY THE RED MILL GOT CAUGHT IN THIS CROSSFIRE.
BUT YOU KNOW, YOU ARE CORRECT. BOTH OF YOU. IN THE 80s AND EARLY 90s, I HAD A TON OF "FRIENDS". BUT WHEN THE CHIPS WERE DOWN, THEY WERE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. I'M BIG ON LOYALTY AND RIGHT NOW I CAN COUNT ON MAYBE 6 OR 7 PEOPLE THAT WOULD GO TO WAR WITH ME. WHAT I MEAN IS WHEN YOU ARE FIGHTING CANCER, LOSING LOVED ONES, DEALING WITH STUFF. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT WHEN THEY SAY THEY'D REPLACE YOUR PAIN FOR THEIRS, YOU BELIEVE IT BECAUSE YOU WOULD DO THE SAME FOR THEM. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT CHEER FOR YOU WHEN SOMETHING GOOD HAPPENS AND HAVE NO ENVY. THEY ARE ALSO THE PEOPLE THAT ARE THERE WHEN THERE ARE DISAPPOINTS. THEY ALSO TELL YOU TO WISE UP AND PUT THE BREAKS ON WHEN NEED BE.
SO YEAH, GREAT POINTS BOTH OF YOU.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Can you please backup your claim Barletta was quite a baseball player. and please don't point to the fact he tried out for a pro team. Many people do that. He tried out ,they said go home. this ongoing story that he was some sort of baseball pheon has NO legs.
FROM ROLL CALL, 2011
Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.) is a freshman on the House floor, but on the baseball field, he’s a veteran.
At age 21, Barletta was a good enough ballplayer to snag one of 65 spots to try out for the Cincinnati Reds, the fabled Big Red Machine of the 1970s. He didn’t make it.
But scouts were sufficiently impressed, suggesting he take a shot with one of the two expansion organizations getting started at the time — the Toronto Blue Jays or the Seattle Mariners.
Instead, he went home to Hazleton, Pa., to work for his family’s construction business, and he eventually opened his own business and served as mayor of his hometown.
“That’s one of the things I regret,” Barletta said of choosing to return home rather than pursue his baseball dreams. “Life took me in a different way. But I probably wouldn’t be in Congress today if I went there.”
Although he hasn’t played baseball since his tryout with the Reds, Barletta went on to play fast-pitch softball for almost 20 years on a team that won a state championship. He said that despite the toll time might have taken on his physical abilities, one thing that hasn’t changed is his desire to win.
“The problem I’ve found is that my mind is still 21 and my body’s 55, so it’s very easy to pull a muscle and get hurt,” he said. “But the competitive drive that I had, that’s here today, so [the game is] going to be a lot of fun.”
As a child, Barletta idolized Mickey Mantle and tried to model himself after the Yankee legend. Like Mantle, Barletta became a switch-hitter and played center field; like Mantle, he wore No. 7. He’ll again play center field for the GOP, and team coach Rep. Joe Barton (Texas) expects him to also spell Rep. John Shimkus (Ill.) on the mound.
IF THAT ISN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU, HOW ABOUT THIS? I BET YOU OR I NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO MAKE THE TOP 65 OF ANYTHING BASEBALL RELATED.

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

Nobody asked me, but I find it amusing that off-duty cops are allowed to drink in bars, let alone drink alcohol period.

Since secret service agents as well as FBI agents are not allowed to partake in alcohol off duty along w/airline pilots then why should police officers state or local be? One never knows when they may be called to duty.

The same can also be said for firefighters.

Finally, call me a cynic, but I highly doubt that when any of these officers leave the various pubs which they patronize, that they are NOT over the legal limit.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with your views on friendship. Most people as teh saying goes, are lucky to have 1 good friend.
with six you have a lot!
Seomtimes i think it best todepnd on ones self becuase in the end if we expect others who are so called freinds to chip in, we will be disappointed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home