Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2646, April 30th, 2014

Our “Write On Wednesday” logo

WRITE ON WEDNESDAY

MAYOR NAMEY REMEMBERED
The late Mayor of Wilkes Barre Lee Namey. (Photo: Times Tribune.com). 
We came across this letter last week on the WRKC FM Radio Home Visitor hosted by Sue Henry and other volunteers and students associated with King’s College. This letter appeared in the Citizen’s Voice and was penned by Wilkes Barre City Controller Kathy Kane. Kane who has been a political warrior for as long as anyone can remember worked side by side with the late Mayor. Here is her tribute in words to Namey who passed away earlier this spring.
Editor:
It took me a while to write this letter about a man who has passed away, but has left an indelible mark on my life and that of many others.
I had known Lee Namey for quite a while before I really became a friend in 2000.
(Although Lee might tell you otherwise.)
We had teased each other for years about many things, but I never truly knew him personally until I asked him to chair my campaign for Wilkes-Barre City Council in 1999. Lee had a unique knowledge about many things, but as he took me through my first campaign, I realized that he was an incredible master of the political world.
He was also an excellent teacher of so many things and had so many ideas that I cannot possibly list them here. We continued on for 14 years with him as my chairman, but more importantly, my friend and confidante.
Together, we chaired the Luzerne County Democratic Party and although our techniques were different, we were able to work together and enjoy each other at the same time.
We resigned together, but still maintained a friendship that was never broken.
We were not only political allies, but we went out to dinner with his wife, Juanita, and my husband, Marty.
It gave us time to relax and talk about everything, not only politics, but family life and how much it meant to all of us.
I will always miss Lee and the many talks we had through the years. Even though when we chastised each other for just about any reason, we always knew that we could count on one another. I would have liked to have one more conversation with him, but through his family, he will always be a part of my life.
Thank you once again, Lee.
"Many people walk in and out of your life, but only love will leave footprints in your heart." Rest in peace, Lee.
Kathy Kane
Wilkes-Barre

Wilkes Barre City Controller Kathy Kane. (Photo: Times Leader).

1 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Coal Cracker said...

I love reading fiction, that's why I enjoyed your defense of the ACA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home