Sunday, July 12, 2015

The LuLac Edition #2989, July 12th, 2015

MAYBE I’M AMAZED

Our “Maybe I’m Amazed” logo
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….at how so many people had no interest in a movie made by Paul Sorvino. It appears that Sorvino who always said he loved Scranton turned out to be nothing more than a friend of a friend to The Electric City. Plus, I’m told there were more plots to the movies they showed at the old Riverview Drive In back in Pittston during the 60s than in this film. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that Charlie Chaplin lost a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest. That won’t happen to Lackawanna County Commissioner Pat O’Malley and ABC's “Modern Family” cast member Eric Stonestreet because everyone knows they look nothing alike. 
 MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….at just how paralyzed the Republican candidates seem over the entry of Donald Trump into their Presidential playground. Normally tough guys aren’t going after some of his unusual positions and I think people are looking for a standard bearer that can engage and win.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that the year I was born a pack of cigarettes week twenty cents. Now they are considerably more.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that Queen Isabella I of Spain, the monarch who funded Christopher Columbus’ various voyages claimed to have only took a bath twice in her life. No wonder why Chris was out of town so often!
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that a manager at the Huntsville Golf Club said this regarding a lawsuit a former waitress had filed in Federal Court. Apparently one of the tipsy consumers advised the waitress that she had the figure for working in his strip club as he allegedly grazed her breast. He was cut off but not removed from the premises according to James Halpin’s story in the Citizen’s Voice. The manager of the Golf Club said, , ““These guys pay a lot of money to be members here,” a manager later informed her, according to the lawsuit. “I am not kicking them out and getting him even more fired up.” Must think he’s in a Mad Men episode. But the thing is this isn’t the main issue, she sued because she was harassed for wanting Sundays off for religious reasons. Two questions here, why apply for the job if you know you this is a deal breaker? Also there are many people I know who go to church on Sunday (did it myself for years) and work. On the other hand did the Club know this from her going in and if they did, why hire her?
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that the glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………..again with Israel, remember last summer the hue and cry because Israel was defending itself against invaders who were building tunnels into the country to kill their people? Not much happening today. Think the thugs got the message? The great and amazing thing about Israel’s Foreign policy is that they apologize for nothing. Too bad we can’t learn that.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that this administration continues to negotiate with Iran despite the country's supreme leader calling for the struggle against the U.S. to continue. He suggested that Tehran's distrust of Washington will persist no matter what the outcome of the talks. So why are we there? President Obama has fallen into the trap that every Democratic President seems to get trapped in. This nation cannot fix the Mideast. We can’t make them into our image. The best we can do is coexist. That’s it. Why don’t they ever learn?
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that Oysters can change from one gender to another and back again. There are Blue Point Oysters, Windowpane Oysters as well as Saddle Oysters. You wait, right or wrong, someday a smart ass Oyster Bar owner will introduce a Caitlin Oyster. 
MAYBE I'M AMAZED.....that in the last few days since the Fourth I have yet to encounter someone who harrumphed, "Well Summer is over!" Thank heavens, when I was a kid I heard that all the time. 


MAYBE I'M AMAZED........at my curiosity about this photo with State Representative Marty Flynn and Governor Tom Wolf. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall during that conversation. Meanwhile Representative Gerry Mullery can claim total innocence because he was nowhere near the exchange. Still it begs the question, was Marty showing the Governor his hitching skills or was he saying, "This guy couldn't have done it without me!" Flynn as well as the Jim and Evie McNulty of Scranton were the very first backers of Mr. Wolf in the '14 race. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home