Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The LuLac Edition #3669, December 13th, 2017

13 QUESTIONS

Our 13 Questions logo.

1. Why do you think middle class people who long term will get nailed by the Tax Cuts forgot about how the deficit ballooned?

Of course they will. When the Bush tax cuts came in 2001, we ended up getting a fence for the back yard to enclose it for the dog. But that was it.
Almost every economist says this will not work. When REPUBLICAN or Trump advisers are asked to name people in support of this, I mean budget analysts they can’t come up with one.
About 62% of the people in this country are against it because most know human nature. If you get a chance to get more money, you take it. Businesses will not invest in salaries or wages for people who haven’t had a break in two decades, they’ll invest in mergers.
Bank on that.

2. In your varied work career, did you ever have a workplace romance?

Yes. One. It was about a year and we both were pretty naïve thinking no one knew what was going on. But it was back in the day of Vispi’s, the 70s and everyone back then was pretty much flying blind. In my recollection, it never interfered with our work.
Other places though I worked at, (about a decade ago where riff with office romances. So much so that you needed a scorecard to keep up.

3. The WARM blog is certainly a lot of work. Where are you getting that rare video of those old broadcast giants?

That video came from our friend Joe Middleton and the team I have assembled are putting them together. Bobby Day of WARM fame also been a God send in providing very good sound.
Plus Joe Klapatch has been feeding us older articles from the Scranton Tribune and Times papers of the 40s and 50s.
I owe a great debt of gratitude to those helping and who have contributed.

4. As we approach Christmas, knowing you were a child of the media, what is your media memory of the holiday as a kid?

I remember having the radio on constantly. Listening to Christmas music while my mom and dad baked and fussed for the Holidays. At night I’d listen to Jones Evans on WBAX which was on Union Street back then. Some years they did a fund raiser for the unfortunate in the area.
Then before there was a Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph or anyone else, there was The Bell Telephone Hour programs.



5. How long does it take to do your year end features? When do you start and when is it in the hopper to go up?

I start thinking about them in August. Start outlining in September and October. Then after Election Day I start to figure out what direction they go in. The most Labor intensive are the Deaths and Women We Love which I start on after Thanksgiving. I work on them as we churn out other LuLac editions.

6. President Trump keeps talking about seven years. Do you think he is immune from running for re-election?

My feeling is that if he says it loud enough, he hopes people will believe it. I think he might be assuming that President’s automatically get re-elected. They don’t. Witness Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. “W” 43 nearly met the same fate as his father if not for Ohio. If he is in a two way race, he has to get beyond his current 32% approval rating.
All bets are off if there is a 3 way race. My friends who voted Third Party are the loudest complainers about him and I think to myself, “Yeah how did that Gail Stein or Gary Johnson thing work out for you?”

7. What is your reaction to the President’s words that this system is rigged and there is a sick from the inside?

Again, he is appealing to the ignorance and hate in people. He won’t tell you how it’s rigged unless he wants to blame Obama, Hillary or a Democrat. For an American President to raise doubts about our institutions that are unique to the world (there hasn’t been anything like it in world history) is in my opinion the empty words and promises of a demagogue.
For his base they believe.
For the rest of us, there is temptation to regard him as “white noise” but I’m calling him out whenever I can.

8. Did you get to the L.A. Tarone Estate Auction and if you made it, did you get anything?

I did not. I had a wake that morning (another one!) then Mrs. LuLac and I had a birthday celebration for my nephew Todd who is a master in fixing computers (message me if you need a pro to help with any issues you might have) then an event in Pittston and stopping in at a holiday party. But I contacted his good friend Mike Moran and made a successful bid one of the many watches he’d wear. There was a whole lot of stuff like power tools, books, tapes, etc. He was one of my best media friends and I was glad to get something of his to keep him with my every day. BTW, he’d love this, the watch is Russian made.

9. Why are you so hateful on Facebook?

I’m not. To quote Rocky Balboa “I don’t hate nobody” but I will call out people making statements not factual, putting up unoriginal thoughts and blaming everything that Trump does and encounters as someone else’s fault. It is so funny that REPUBLICAN facebook friends call me a “hater” when they defend the most hateful set of people ever to occupy the White House.
One guy even called me a bully! That’s what they resort to when they have no facts to back them up or admit that once in a while a party can screw up. Locally, I’ll certainly give my vote to a Republican. My God some of my boyhood political heroes were Republicans. Guys like Bill Scranton, his son, Dick Schweiker, John Heinz, and later on Arlen Specter. I voted for them all (except the Senior Scranton because I wasn’t old enough to vote then). Locally guys like Eugene Peters in Scranton and Judge Cory Stevens were people I admired. The same with Richard Hughes, Tom Burke, Stefanie Salavantis and Gene Kelleher. But given what the national party stands for, I can never vote for any of them when they lie to your face and you see the truth.

10. Thoughts on Aaron Boone as the new manager of the Yankees?

It will be interesting to see how he fares because the Yanks are going to be loaded this year with new acquisitions. He better be ready to win because he will certainly have the tools.

11. Christmas music, yeah or nay?

Yeah! I was a big fan when I was a kid, lost a little interest in it in my 30s and 40s but I’m back in the fold.
I do think though it should start later around December 15th and then have it continue until January 6th. My belief is there are 12 days of Christmas and it starts on the 25th.

12. How do you like the fact that now you can say Merry Christmas since Trump-Dump became President?

Another bullshit piece of fallacy from this jerk. We always said Merry Christmas in this country. We were never banned from saying it. But mark my words there might come a day when this country will have a government (I’m thinking they are setting the groundwork for it now) when you will b told what to say and think. Ironically enough it won’t come from the Liberals but the Conservative White wing that wants to send us back to 1929.

13. Gut feeling. I know it’s early but who will be in the Superbowl this year?

It is early but Pittsburgh seems to have all the breaks going their way. I feel horrible for the Eagles though. Their coach, Doug Pederson was a back up to Brett Favre on the Packers so I was rotting for him should The Pack not make the playoffs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home