Wednesday, June 15, 2022

The LuLac Edition #4, 767,June 15th, 2022

 WRITE ON WEDNESDAY

Our "Write On Wednesday" logo. 

This week we look at an agency that is committed to help the homeless. Take a look from this Editorial from The Times Leader written by guest columnist Billy Harrington.

DOWNTOWN REBOUND: KEYSTONE MISSION PROGRAMS WORK TO SOLVE HOMELESSNESS

I’m writing to you today because I am a former guest of Keystone Mission and I am living proof that Keystone Mission’s programs are effective in solving the challenge of homelessness in our community.

Many people are fearful of people who have nowhere to live except on the streets and assume that we are all alcoholics or drug addicts. That isn’t me and it isn’t most of the homeless people I know. I am a veteran of the United States Army and I found myself on the streets not because of drugs, alcohol, or any other reason except that I could not afford housing.

One day, I was sitting on a park bench on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre working on my college class and thinking about my predicament. I was approaching my final days in the local shelter and had no place to go. Two ladies approached me and asked if I would like to attend the Church on the Square, but I dismissed their invitation.

Later that same day, still without a workable solution to my lack of housing, I called a fellow veteran and told him, “I’m done.” Any veteran knows when another fellow brother or sister says they are done. It isn’t good. I had reached a personal crossroads and low point, and when I looked up from my phone call, I was looking at the door to the Church on the Square.

You will probably have some difficulty believing what happened next. I know I did, but amazingly the door appeared to me to be glowing, inviting me to come inside. So, I walked over, opened it, and entered to join their service. I found my way to the front row and sat down to watch and listen. I appreciated the opportunity to be there for church, and after the service, a current guest of Keystone Mission who happened to also be there approached me, talked with me, and invited me to come up to the mission and speak with an employee.

The next day, I grabbed my 30-pound backpack and made the trip to Keystone Mission. When I met with the employee, I was interviewed and then accepted into the nine-month Life Change program. From that day, my life drastically changed for the better.

Keystone Mission provided food and clothing but surprised me by not stopping with those essential but short-term interventions. In addition, Keystone Mission guides its guests through a proven program that includes educational and housing opportunities. They don’t merely clean us up and send us back out onto the streets. Instead, they teach their guests skills to help us gain employment and succeed in everyday life.

Keystone Mission teaches us how to be productive, contributing citizens, helping us regain our self-respect and confidence. It’s a big job and the Keystone Mission team does wonderful things for its guests and community. But they can’t do it alone. Keystone Mission, Diamond City Partnership, government, and many other agencies and organizations are pulling together to help us. I’ve seen Diamond City Partnership’s Clean and Safe team members at work each day picking up and cleaning Public Square and the surrounding streets, and it makes me take some pride and ownership to do my part to make Downtown Wilkes-Barre inviting to visitors. And I know the Keystone Mission’s services firsthand.

With the Mission’s well-planned help, I found housing, got a job, and am giving back to the community. Currently, I rent a room and am employed through the Luzerne County Mature Workers Program. I also work at the Keystone Mission.

I am living proof that life transformation is possible. Keystone Mission is in the business of building relationships. It’s not an overnight process, and it took me nine months to see actual change happen in my life. It works for other people, too.

The Mission’s Transformation Center is a wonderful facility, and I am happy zoning approval was granted for the Mission to convert the Thomas C. Thomas building on East Union Street in the City to further its offerings, including facilities to keep homeless families together.

When more homeless people get their lives back together, it’s better for our whole community.

I close by saying thank you to Keystone Mission, Diamond City Partnership, and everyone else involved in solving homelessness. I appreciate it and know many others who do, too.

Transformational change does happen. Thanks again for helping make it possible.

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home