Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The LuLac Edition #225, May 15th, 2007

ADVENTURES IN VOTING!!

So at lunch hour, I decide to go and vote. They (The Election Bureau) have changed my polling place three times in the last three elections. That was no big deal. But when my wife and I scoped out the location a few weeks ago (we do that now because of my accident, whether we are in town or away) we became concerned because it looked like the terrain might be rough at the new location, 666 North Main Street, the home of St. Stan's Church. I played phone tag with Bureau of Election Chief Len Piazza who did his best to get back to me. (Called me three times as a matter of fact). But we just kept missing each other.
This morning, I thought, "how bad can this be?" Well, it turned out that the polling place is all the way in the back of the church and another building type garage. Frank Matello Junior who was working for his dad saw me park across the street and yelled for me to go inside the long, deep driveway and park in a designated spot for handicap spaces. When I did, I was still a walk away downhill from where I parked. As I made my way to the voting place, the pavement was un-even and if you didn't watch yourself, you could trip. When I got to the actual polling place, there looked to be a makeshift ramp on both sides that made you climb up and then down. Again, uneven.
I voted, the people were nice and the machines ran well.
Then I made my return trek toward my car. It was an exercise in democracy. It was an exercise...period. I called Mrs. LuLac and told her to forget about "Curves" tonight.
Here's my point: I'm semi disabled. I'm relatively young and have practice "walking deliberately" the last few years because of an auto accident. So, being careful and watching where I stepped, it was an effort for me, but not one that was completely challenging. However, that said, I wonder how many elderly, other people worse off and less able than I physically and those wheelchair and walker bound fared in this new polling place. Let's hope for their sake, they make another change next time that is more "disabled friendly".

1 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,
You're right. THat place stinks. The concrete is so rutted but the pavement is colored the same so you can trip easily. Love the church, HATE it is a polling place. Who's BRIGHT IDEA WAS THIS???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home