Sunday, January 11, 2009

The LuLac Edition #691, Jan. 11h, 2009









PHOTO INDEX: BLOG EDITOR WITH BUFFALO BILLS CHEERLEADERS (CIRCA 2005), THREE PHILADELPIA EAGLE CHEERLEADERS WHO HAPPEN TO BE SISTERS FROM MEDIA, PAIGE, NIKKI AND DANNI-LYNN BELL, GOVERNOR ED (EAGLE FAN EXTRAORDINAIRE) WITH BLOG EDITOR AND THE BLOG EDITOR IN HIS PACKER GEAR. CLICK TO ENLARGE PHOTOS.

GO GREEN!!

A little break from politics. As many of you know, I have been a die hard Green Bay Packer fan since I was 6 and the Pack lost to the Eagles in the 1960 Championship game. In 2005, I adopted another team, the Bills by virtue of meeting their Cheerleaders, the Jills at a Bahama resort. (Mrs. LuLac spotted them and thought I might enjoy meeting them. What a sport!!!!) My first real respect for Governor Ed as a sports fan and speech maker came when he gave a eulogy at Richie Ashburn's funeral. This year, my adopted Bills got off to a good start but faltered. And my Packers had the drama with Brett Farve and are re-building. The playoffs loomed and no flag of the Packers hung among the Christmas lights during the holiday season. (Much to Mrs. LuLac's refief). So I had to pick a team. My dad was a Chicago Cardinals fan in the 40s but his enthusiasm for the team waned after varioius franchise moves. I followed the New York Giants but never had a great passion for them as did my uncles, cousins, one of my best friends Frank "MickMan" Martin and fellow blogger Mr. Wilkes Barre Online. So who do I root for? On the eve of Thanksgiving, I decided I'd ride the Eagles season to its logical conclusion. (I confess I thought the run would be over by now.) My reasons, strange. The Eagles were getting kicked around by everyone. And I never liked that in sports or in politics. Andy Reid was once a Packer coach so there was loyalty there. The cheerleaders were as fine looking as the Bills Jills, maybe with a little less frostbite scars. My first library book I ever took out was called "They Pay Me To Catch Footballs" by Tommy McDonald an Eagle pass catcher in the early 60s. And then there was my man, Governor Ed, pontificating on the post game show as if it was serious as a budget crisis. (Mrs. LuLac opined that Pennsylvania must be the only state in the Union with a Governor who doubled as a sports homer for his favorite team. I said that was true and even commented that Governor Ed sends us a Christmas card every year. All I got from her was a harumph. Those library cuts in 2003 still irk her but I digress). So there it was, defending an under dog team, supporting a taciturn protege coach from the Packers, the cheerleaders (Green Bay has none), my first library book and Governor Ed doing his best to prop up his team in good times and offer (ahem) constructive criticism in bad. So, Sunday at noon, I root for the EAGLES. GO EAGLES!

2 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were saved! The majority commissioners have a new slogan and logo for Lackawanna County. Hot on the heels of the green and pink "Some kind of wonderful" of the previous administartion we now have, at taxpayer expense, a new logo and catchphrase, "Innovation starts here." Can a new jingle be far behind? Could either slogan be more lame? Innovation most certainly starts somewhere, but not here! How about we pick colors and a logo and stay with it for a while and stop wasting time and money painting buses? By the way does the Lu have a clever position statement, colors or a logo for the future? Without one you're doomed. Possibly readers could suggest some ideas for the Lu and the Lac.

Taylor Jack

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Respect for Big Ed My ass! Yonk got a load of those cheerleaders sisters and said bye bye Bills, or Jills or whatever they are called1!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home