Saturday, September 12, 2009

The LuLac Edition #938, Sept. 12th, 2009

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

This is a posthumous interview that I have kept in my files since Sept. 15th, 2001. The subject was related to me by marriage, was a proud native New Yorker plus an ex Marine to boot. Here were his thoughts on 911 from 8 years ago.
Q: Where were you when it happened?
A: I was working in my home office. I had just gotten settled.
Q: Dragging yourself out of bed?
A: Hell no, I’m not one of those. Working from home for me is just like when I was employed on Wall Street. I get up, shower, shave even if it’s the UPS guy coming to pick up something, I look professional.
Q: Sorry to get you off track there.
A: So I’m working in my home office and I hear this ungodly explosion. Then I see smoke billowing. After I turned on the TV, the first thing I did was call my wife who was at work in midtown. Then I started getting calls from my friends at the Armory.
Q: How were you connected with that?
A: My Marine Unit and the Fighting 69th is based there. We set that place up as a rescue, evacuation, comfort center, whatever people needed.
Q: Were there a lot of volunteers?
A:Yes, everyone bonded together. It was New York at its finest. I’d compare it to a baseball team where everyone picked each other up.
Q: Do you think it touched more people in New York?
A: Absolutely. I had co workers who lost their sons and daughters on Wall Street. Some people who are gone I worked with and had associations with.
Q: Comparable to Pearl Harbor?
A: Yes and even more. These were civilians. They weren’t engaged in policy or combat.
Q: So it is safe to say this will affect you and everyone in this nation the rest of your life?
A: Until the day I die, I will never forget the sick feeling I had and the determination that if I had anything to do with, we should never forget.
Editor’s Note: And until the day he died, he never did forget.

Fighting 69th website: http://www.sixtyninth.net/

3 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! An interview with a thoughtful
literate adult with something to say. Great improvement. Should keep the interview critics quiet for awhile. Got any other old ones on file. Personally I like the feature and hope it grows in this direction.

Regular Reader

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about more background on the interviewee, Will spend a lot of time with the 69th web site.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
How about more background on the interviewee, Will spend a lot of time with the 69th web site.
GO TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE LULAC PAGE WHERE IT SAYS ARCHIVES, GO TO APRIL 2007, SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU COME TO EDITION #191, APRIL 3rd, 2007.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home