Saturday, April 17, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1153, Apr. 17th, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO

INTERVIEW

This week on Tax Day interested citizens met in public places to demonstrate their concern about where the country is headed. I had the opportunity to talk to one of them.
Q: Did you attend this year’s rally in Scranton?
A: Yes I stopped by. I believe that people should make a stand and come out and voice their opinion on what’s wrong with the country.
Q: And what in your estimation is wrong with the country?
A: We are losing control, our country is slipping away from us, we need to do something about that.
Q: How is the country slipping away?
A: The debt, my grand children will be paying this bill.
Q: We’ll be dead by then, we won’t know.
A: We are being irresponsible. Money is being wasted. The Stimulus package is a good example.
Q: People benefited from that. You know anyone unemployed?
A: Yeah.
Q: The Stimulus package helped those on unemployment buy health care coverage for a reasonable price. That helped them buy items to live while they were out of work. Some people still are using that.
A: Okay but there’s waste in government and that has to be stopped.
Q: I agree. But there was tremendous amount of wasted money prior to this, right?
A: Yes but it has to stop. Our freedoms are slipping away.
Q: How? I mean we can still go from state to state without check points, you can do whatever you like as long as it’s legal, you can go to a rally or not go to a rally, no one is stopping you. How are my freedoms and your freedoms slipping away?
A: It’s the money man. The spending. My taxes are just too high.
Q: But that doesn’t impede your freedom, except the freedom to have more discretionary income. But taxes don’t stop us from being free, right.
A: Wrong. Taxes take away our ability to do more things with our money. And that gives us less freedom.
Q: Less freedom to spend or save but no one is busting down your door in the middle of the night, that’s my point. Let me ask you this, what are you mad about and who are you angry at?
A: I’m mad because things are getting out of control and I’m mat at the government. I hate government.
Q: But government allows us to live. Without government we’d have no roads such as they are, no laws, you can’t get rid of government. You can improve it.
A: Yes that’s right improve it, that’s what I’m after.
Q: Good we can agree on that. How do you propose we fix government?
A: By making our voices heard.
Q: Where?
A: At rallies like the Tea Party gatherings.
Q: How about at the ballot box that’s where the real change happens.
A: You are right.
Q: Maybe Monday is a much more important day than the Tea Party day.
A: Why?
Q: That’s the last day to register to vote. You can make your noise with your feet and mind. I guarantee the politicians will pay attention to that.
A: Okay. Good idea.
Q: I think we care about the country in the same way but we are just taking different paths.
A: You think?
Q: Sure. You’re thinking, involved.
A: Thanks. I’m just trying to figure this all out.
Q: We all are. But ultimately you need to form your political belief system on your own and stay away from the vitriolic phrases like “taking away our freedom”.
A: But they are, our freedom is at risk.
Q: Uh yeah, we’ll keep working on that freedom issue you got going there.

12 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger PoorRichard said...

Maybe if people voted, politicians could be held accountable. Ten people go to a rally but thousands refuse to vote. DUH!

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Joe Leonardi said...

Well Dave, it seems that the subject of your interview has the feeling her just can't put it into words. So I did, actually I did a while back.

Joe

http://joeleonardi.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/how-liberalism-leads-to-slavery-2/

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with many voters is that they feel betrayed by all parties. Yet they don't want to put their faith in a third party since they pretty much go nowhere. At first I thought the interviewee was inarticulate and had no political clue. But you can tell the frustration in their answers because there are few answers. And Dave, despite your promptings, it is obvious that what you were saying wasn't reaching them or they just weren't buying it.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous older and wiser said...

Todays interview reminds me of a conversation I had whith an an old Irish immigrant some 38 years ago when I was a 15 year old know-it-all. After he explained to me what true freedom is, I realized that you cannot place a price tag on freedom. Thank you for reminding me of that day, the day when I became wiser, thanks to an immigrant who knew what true freedom is.

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Joe Leonardi and why should anyone be interested in what he has to say? I dont need this guy interpreting for me. It seems to me a major ego is at work here and he gets enough play already on this site. If I want to read his site, I'll find it.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Who is Joe Leonardi and why should anyone be interested in what he has to say?
JOE LEONARDI IS A FORMER CANDIDATE FOR CONGRESS AND WAS A POLITICAL COMMENTATOR ON WYOU TV.

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Leonardi taught an honors political science course. I was one of his students and he taught me more than all of my poli-sci professors combined. The man has one of the sharpest political minds around. Perhaps instead of having a closed, coal cracker heyna mind and you took the opprotunity to read his writings you would have discovered that Dr. Leonardi articulated the intervewee's thoughts more eloquently than that person was able.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,
Stop pressing republicians. You could get hurt.... Remember what happened to that circus worker & the GOP symbol....

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger PoorRichard said...

Excuse me but if Dr Leonardi were one of the sharpesst political minds around, we would now be calling him Congressman. He has an opinion and he knows how to express it so isn't that good enough to give him a place to preach? I would share a pizza with Doc anytime but I must first find a more healthy version of what I currently enjoy. As for those who say bad things about the good doctor ...... NO pizza for you!

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey pizza pete the greatest coaches werent always the greatest players. just because the doc wasnt the best at runnin for oddice doesnt mean he doesnt know how to win the game. ask the yonk

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger PoorRichard said...

Anon 11:27 A good pizza maker knows when the dough isn't right. Mea culpa, you're right! You get one free pizza, just put it on my bill.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The teabaggers will have their first iota of credibility if, and when, they criticize our spending on our multiple pointless wars. I'm not holding my breath.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home