Saturday, June 19, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1213, June 19th, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

The Luzerne County Courthouse decided to get rid of the Crossing Guards on River Street. The Crossings Guards have been a long time institution near the Dome. Various and sundry people have held those jobs through the years, some political appointees, some friends, some who legitimately applied for the position. I talked to a former Crossing Guard who was employed at the Courthouse.
Q: I remember you, do you remember me?
A: Oh yeah. I’m surprised you never wound up working at the Courthouse. I’d see you and your Uncle Timmy (Editor's note: Timmy Pribula, School Director at Wyoming Area and Field Assessor at the Courthouse) all the time crossing the street and at the dinners.
Q: Yeah I was very grateful for my uncle letting me tag along to these political things. Tell me when you went to these “dinners” were you forced to go?

A: No, never. I won’t lie to you it was suggested but I was never strong armed. I did it out of a gratitude for the job. And plus I was a party man going all the way back to Harry Truman.
Q: How many years were you a Crossing Guard?
A: Oh more than ten.
Q: What was your favorite part of it?
A: The people. Seeing them all dressed up for work. I worked in the mines and I had to get used to that.
Q: Worst part of it?
A: The winters. God awful. That little shack only kept you so warm.
Q: You know the Commissioners are getting rid of that service.
A: (Shrugging his shoulders) Same old same old.
Q: What do you mean?
A: Look these guys crossing people aren’t getting top wages. But to save money they are getting rid of the little guys.
Q: That happens all over. They never get rid of the big shots. In the last two jobs I got laid off from they kept the flunkies and the people that had nowhere near the passion I had for the company.
A: Hell no. How much they gonna save by getting rid of those guys? 30 grand tops!
Q: Do you think there will be a safety issue?
A: No (laughing) the paper and Penn Dot say there won’t be. But watch if somebody gets clipped.
Q: Having been there for a few years, but realizing it’s been a while since you worked there, do you think politicians are corrupt?
A: No I don’t. I think that sometimes when they get that office, that power, they have a type of temporary insanity.
Q: Are you saying they become crazy?
A: No not that. It’s like they lose all the common sense they ever learned. Makes you scratch your head.
Q: Any advice to the guys losing their jobs?
A: Enjoy the summer. Then good luck.
Q: Any advice to the people running the Courthouse?
A: Shut it down and start all over.
Q: I said that on TV a few years ago.
A: Well we’re obviously two smart fellas aren’t we?

3 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fire everybody and start over. True Christias. Like it was said in Nam, "Kill um all and let God sort out the good ones." Talk about an idiot thought and from a guy who has been jobless. Guess it felt good huh Yonk?

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nxt wks news from the Lac will be the tale of the Mellow Man and what the Hell is goin on there? Donovans' "Mellow Yellow" would be
a good musical choice. What developes here will be interesting.
Similiar situation in Luzerne. Do they wait till they retire to nail em or do they retire because they know they are about to be nailed?

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Junction said...

I almost was struck by an auto while crossing at the courthouse. Just so happens 2 state police in uniform were crossing along with me. The car almost ran them over. We need the crossing guard and than some, especially with older folks crossing from the handicap parking lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home