Monday, June 07, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1203, June 7th, 2010


PHOTO INDEX: MR. AND MRS. RUSH LIMBAUGH.
THE TIPPING POINT?

My father always had an interest in politics. We’d talk about the issues of the day and had very lively discussions. But when I started passing out flyers for Ray Musto in 1971 and then became involved in the Hubert Humphrey campaign of ’68 he told me to stay away from the local polling places. “Don’t let them rope you into working for them” he said. When I pressed him as to why he related a story that when he was a young man, he and a friend worked at the polls. They were promised a few bucks. I got the impression my dad would have done it for free but he and his friend were paid less, by a 10 to 1 ratio by the local GOP wardheelers. (Yes this was when Pittston was very, very Democratic). He voted the rest of his life but never participated again. I thought of this incident during the week when it was revealed there was a tip jar out for paid poll workers at Lackawanna County polling places. Now despite the advice of my father, I spent a lot of time at polling places in my youth. I was a regular at the late Jerry Clapps’ garage (now a Uni Mart in Exeter) when my uncle Timmy Pribula made his various runs for Wyoming Area School Board. During the 1972 Pennsylvania primary Pittston Councilman Al Kridlo gave me access to polling places as long as I had my “observer” certificate. Along the way I have voted in many, many polling places. I have never missed an election of any kind in my life. In all that time, and in all those places I have never seen a tip jar. The fact that there were one or two of them in Lackawanna County polling places is a disgrace. People who work at the polls are paid a daily stipend. It’s not something that’ll get you to the Bahamas but it’s better than the average hourly rate the Wilkes Barre Chamber offers in some of its jobs. To have a tip jar, making voters who make the trek and have them feel obligated is just plain wrong. Every Election Day I hear about how soldiers gave their lives throughout our history for us to enjoy freedom and vote. Maybe we should remind these purveyors of wicker baskets that on the beaches of Normandy or at Lexington and Concord, there were no tip jars. Outfreakingragious.

RUSH WED

So Rush Limbaugh married again. The talk show icon married Kathryn Rogers, 33. Rogers is 26 years younger (Go Rush go) than her mate. You never see a thrice divorced guy marry an older woman do you? Just saying. Elton john sang into the night, and the guess list included Karl Rove; actor-politician Fred Thompson; former Kansas City Royals slugger George Brett; Fox News commentator Sean Hannity; former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani; New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft; former Clinton adviser James Carville and his wife, GOP analyst Mary Matalin;, golfer Tom Watson and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Rush met number 4 at a charity golf tournament. Wife number 3, Marta did a line of designer ties that were sold across the county. (Nope, out of the hundreds of ties I own I don’t own a Limbaugh. Look for this wife to start peddling golf shirts in conservative colors.
Although Mrs. LuLac and I were not invited, we had a "Rush Is Getting Hitched Party". Mr. and Mrs. Gort stopped by, the twins Tom Chipilewski and Another Monkey visited, Joe Vslenti and his lovely wife, Mr. and Mrs. Henry, Dr. Joe Leonardi, Bosco, Johnny L, Shadoe Steele and Mark Cour. We got out the Keystone Beer, some cheap summer sausage that the on line pagan travel company gave as a Christmas bonus a few years back, and passed a can of pineapple. Here's the band we hired.

5 Comments:

At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back at ya on the Tip Jars there, Mr Yonki! What a bullshit "low class is better than no class at all" political scene we have around here! I was astounded when I read of this going on in not one but two polling places! Anybody who couldnt figure out that what they were doing was wrong had no place working there in the first place! How about some sort of Supervisor or Official noticing that something was amiss!!!

Pistol Pete

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe Rush had Sir Elton there as the tune provider. Surprised he wasn't afraid of getting the homo kooties! If he and the ms. can afford Reggie for music, maybe they'll buy their own football team! Just thinking.

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope ElRushbo has lots of Viagara to keep his new chippie happy. Now he won't have to use those formerly nicotine stained fingers.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked the polls at a polling place in Wilkes-Barre and let me just tell you I will never work there again. There was a staffer from one of the office holders standing at the poll and he was very rude. The man removed signs, yelled things about other canidates, and kept walking in and out of the polls. When the numbers game out of the machines at the end of the night the poll worker pulled him aside first and showed him the numbers before even posting them on the doors. I will not vote for this mans boss in the upcoming election simply because if he has rude people working for him they are a mirror image of that person. A office holder resembles their staff and this man will not get my vote because of this. I will never stand at a poll again. Talking about turning people off from the political process thats why we have all the garbage going on in this area. Your dad was right Mr. Yonki and thats what so many other people who I respect told me stay away from the polls. I did not do it because of pay I volunteered my time I did it because we need people to stand up to the corruption in this area but it turns out its politics as usual.

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Joe V said...

Dave,
It was a GREAT time!! Thanx for the invite:-o
Joe V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home