Saturday, June 12, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1207, June 12th, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

This week the World Cup started. I talked to a young man who grew up playing soccer. Now in his late twenties, here’s what he said about the Cup.
Q: You excited about the World Cup?
A: Yeah I’m going to watch it. Soccer is by definition football without the violence. I like the speed and agility of it all.
Q: When you played as a kid in the local leagues what attracted you to the sport?
A: The speed, the action, the fact that I wasn’t going to get pummeled by a guy ten times my size.
Q: Did you ever have an interest in baseball?
A: Not really. My dad would watch the Series and my high school had a really good team but I never got into it.
Q: Why?
A: The speed. It just went on and on. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the strategy, understand the countless debates about who was the best Center Fielder in 1950s New York baseball, Snider, Mantle or Mays. I get all that but baseball to me and my generation is like one big multiple person chess match. You appreciate the nuances but jeez it takes a long time to get from A to B.
Q: Any comments on the recent flap about the No Hitter?
A: You mean the guy on Mother’s Day?
Editor's Note: Oakland A's Dallas Braden Perfect Game May 9th.
Q: No the recent one with the player in Detroit and the botched call.
Editor's Note: Tigers Vs. Indians, June 2nd, 2010.
A: Wasn’t on my radar.
Q: Who are you rooting for in the World Cup?
A: Well being an American the U.S. of course. But other than that I have no vested interest, I just want to see an exciting match. Editor's Note: England 1, U.S. 1. Final.
Q: That’s what people who follow baseball and when the teams they normally root for aren’t in it, that’s what they say.
A: Oh. Some common ground between the Soccer and baseball world.
Q: Some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home