Saturday, July 31, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1251, July 31st, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

Today Chelsea Clinton gets married to the son of Marjorie Margolles Mezvinsky. The mother in law of Ms. Clinton and mother of the bridge groom was a popular TV anchor in Philadelphia in the late 70s and 80s. In 1992 she was elected to Congress and served one term. She was the 1998 nominee for Lt. Governor in 1998 in Pennsylvania but the ticket headed by Ivan Itken lost to Tom Ridge. I talked to a person who has had some contact with the mother in law through the years.
Q: Are you going to the wedding?

A: No, I don’t have that type of firepower.
Q: How do you know Mrs. Mezvinksy?
A: When I was in school I volunteered for her campaign for Congress. She beat a popular incumbent (editor’s note: Lawrence Coughlin) and did a very heroic thing by being the lone vote in passing a financial budget bill in Congress.
Q: So she did the right thing for the country, wrong thing politically. As a supporter how did that make you feel?
A: I had dual emotions. I was so proud of her stance but knew that politically she doomed a career that could have been so much more.
Q: Did you volunteer in the ’98 effort?
A: No but I was proud to give her a check. By that time I was out of law school and was just getting established.
Q: So you never kept in touch, I mean she doesn’t know you to see you?
A: I don’t think so.
Q: What is she doing now?
A: Well besides planning this wedding for her son, she is the Chair person of a group called “Women’s Campaign International”.
Q: What do they do?
A: It is a group that works in democracies that are challenged or just starting out. They provide leadership opportunities for women in foreign countries to become part of the government there.
Q: It’s a type of training ground for nations that are trying democracy for the first time and the plan is to have women get a seat at the political table?
A: Exactly.
Q: So did you send the happy couple a card?
A: (Laughing) No, you are crazy.
Q: But you do wish them the best right?
A: Of course. I mean do you want me to wish them the worst?
Q: No.
A: Can I go now?
Q: Yeah.


2 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yawn.

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That someone took the time to type in "yawn" speaks volumes!
Somethimg finally did happen in
'66. Charlie Whitman went to the tower! What a shock that was
at the time and now it seems almost commonplace somewhere in the world every month or so.
Damn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home