Friday, May 06, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1581, May 6th 2011









PHOTO INDEX: 5 IS THE NUMBER OF YEARS WE ARE DOING THE LULAC POLITICAL LETTER, AND OUR ANNIVERSARY STAPLE, JOHN WEBSTER (ONE OF OUR FIRST TECHNICAL ADVISERS IN MAY OF '06) AND YOUR BLOG EDITOR.


5 YEARS ON

Today marks the fifth anniversary of The Lu Lac Political Letter. I began writing it on my lunch hour at a previous job because I could not believe how bad some of the political content was on the Internet. I hope we’ve added to the political discourse in both counties since we began.
Actually, Mrs. LuLac suggested I do a blog when my first book “A Radio Story” came out but even my ego wouldn’t allow me to just talk about one subject.
I lifted the name LuLac from an old commercial I heard on the radio when I was a kid for a company called the LuLac Oil company. Through the years we have interviewed and met some very good people. We’ve also branched out into areas that I thought impossible when I began writing this. A few by products of this blog are the following; it made me a more disciplined writer, rekindled a segment of a career I thought I had left behind (broadcasting) and gave me an opportunity to be part of the public debate.
I’d like to thank the local media for taking what I do seriously, some more so than others. (Local newspaper reporters must know you don’t need a PHD to opine on a political topic but I digress). We have branched out in areas that I thought unimaginable when we started. To Mark Cour, Scott Cannon and Regis Rugemanshuro, many thanks for your tutorials on You Tube. To John Webster, thank you for taking a frantic novice under your blogging wing in 2006. To my small cadre of volunteers who have helped with my forums (especially Pat Fadden) many thanks. Many thanks to the people at Office Max at the Mall in Wilkes Barre and the UPS Store in Edwardsville for some pretty good signage through the years.
To both Joe Valenti and Gort 42, thanks for letting me get into that Blogfest deal. It has grown by leaps and bounds and that wouldn’t happen if there were only one of us doing this.
Through the years we have taken polls, covered trials, arraignments, losses and wins. We’ve put together an on line presence where a reader will hopefully find something they like. We’ve had features that have come and gone and some we’ve even tried to kill off but our readers thought otherwise. In five years we have reached about 300,000 people. There are some sites that claim that in a month but I won’t hire a guy to sit and click LuLac thousands of times a week just for bragging rights. We’ve posted thousands of opinions that were funny, informative insightful and to the chagrin of some edited. We have published nearly 1600 Editions of LuLac. With the grace of God or whoever is in charge of our destiny, we hope to continue this project until the computer blows up. Then we’ll look into that smoke signal thing the native Americans tried a few hundred years ago.
One of the things I have personally strived for is to be here every day in a consistent manner. It is ironic since politics is the most inconsistent art form there is. Horatio Smith wrote, “Inconsistency is the only thing in which men are consistent.” He must have had LuLac politics in mind when he wrote that one.
On to year 6. Come along for the ride.

12 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Happy blogiversary!

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Joe Leonardi said...

Happy anniversary and congratulations. Thank you for including me as a contributor on your blog.... Many more...
Joe

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 years. What an accomplishment. And every day is something different. Nice job.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Yonk! This is lasting 5-times longer than most radio careers!

Shadoe Steele

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Congrats Yonk! This is lasting 5-times longer than most radio careers!
Shadoe Steele
IT LASTED LONGER THAN MY BROADCAST CAREER IN THE 70s!

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Yonki, congrats on being there every day! 5 years........that's longer than Carter and Herbert Walker Bush served as President!

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job, keep it up!

Congrats Dave!

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 Years!!!

Almost as long as it took me to get my BA!

M.D.
88.5

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Joe Valenti said...

Dave - CONGRATS! and thanx for all your help with the blogfest
Joe V

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I tend to take what you do for granted. Thanks, I may not agree all the time but I really enjoy your writing.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger artbythelake said...

Congrats David....

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on FIVE years of the blog. Don't always agree with you and sometimes think you're an ass, but you do a damn good column and are fair in your comments. And we all know you're not really a Baby killing, commie pinko, liberal, rat bastard that some of your readers think you are. Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home