Thursday, June 23, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1654, June 23rd, 2011

PHOTO INDEX: GOP LOGO.

WANT TO BE COMMISSIONER?

I received some information the the Republican Party Chair Lance Stange regarding the process of filling the seat on the Lackawanna County Board of Commissioners. Here’s what he wrote:
The Executive Board of the Republican Party of Lackawanna County will be interviewing candidates to fill the vacant position of Lackawanna County Commissioner. Qualified candidates should be registered Republican electors of Lackawanna County. They shall be at least 18 years of age, a citizen of the United States, and a resident of Lackawanna County at for at least one year. They must be free of conviction of a felony of any degree and/or a conviction of a violation of the Pennsylvania Election Code. The position of County Commissioner is considered a full-time position. A candidate for this position is expected to devote the time and effort to official County business as is required for full time employees of the County Government generally. Please note, a County Commissioner is prohibited from holding any other County Office or County employment for compensation, any other elective public office, any other political employment for compensation during their term of office. Interested candidates that meet the above criteria should forward a letter of intent to lackawannagop@gmail.com or call the Republican Party office to make their intentions known at 570-346-7729. Candidates should present themselves for interview by the Executive Board of the Republican Party of Lackawanna County on: Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:00 AM Ramada Inn Northern Blvd, Clarks Summit, PA 18411

Lance Stange Chairman Republican Party of Lackawanna County
http://www.lackawannagop.com/2011/06/vacancy-notice.html

MASTRI A GO

Scranton Attorney Dominic Mastri sent a note this evening indicating he was going to apply for the position. The Scranton Attorney e mailed me a copy of his letter of intent:
Dear Fellow Republicans:
I am writing to express my interest in serving as interim county commissioner to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of A.J. Munchak. Attached to this e-mail, please find this letter of intent and my curriculum vitae.
This is a critical time for Lackawanna County and for its Republican Party. There are less than five months remaining until the general election. In this period of time, the person you choose as the next commissioner will need to work hard to restore the faith of citizens of Lackawanna County in both their government and our beloved GOP. The task ahead is daunting, but it is y firm belief that I have the skills required to do the job.
Because I am not a candidate (nor have I ever run for a political office), I have never accepted a campaign contribution from anyone who is, or may be, doing business with Lackawanna County. This will be an important distinction which will enable me to have the credibility to introduce a more comprehensive ethics code. A new ethics code will be my first priority if I am selected to serve the people of Lackawanna County. I believe the new ethics code must mandate that all commissioners shall disclose any contribution or communication from a county vendor before a contract is considered for a vote.
Fiscal responsibility is a core Republican value. The budget for 2012 will be adopted during these next few months. Since true leaders set the example for others to follow, I will take an immediate 20% reduction in my salary. In the next budget, I will insist on a 5% reduction in the compensation of all department heads and significantly reduce the cost of middle management.
Many of my friends and relatives have been forced to leave our county because there are not enough family-sustaining jobs. I will convene a weekend-long jobs summit in late September or early October. Every elected official in the county, our national and state representatives, as well as key representatives from the non-profit sector will meet with business leaders from around the world to come up with an actionable plan to increase job creation in Lackawanna County. In a county where Republicans are in the extreme minority, it is essential that we take the leadership role in improving life in Lackawanna County.
I view this appointment as opportunity to extend my public service. I have served in two different county administrations as an assistant public defender in the Lackawanna County Public Defender’s Office. In this position, I worked ceaselessly to represent the interests of those who have not enjoyed the same blessings and opportunities that I have had. This position has also provided me with a wealth of knowledge about the inner workings of county government. This real life experience will make these ambitious goals achievable in the next few months.
I have been a life-long Republican. My family held fundraisers for Luger and Pettinato in the 1970’s. In 1984 at age ten, I was the classroom standard bearer for the Reagan/Bush ticket. On the local level, I have supported the candidacies of George Seig, Frank Castellano and many other GOP candidates. Standing on the sidelines at this critical juncture is abhorrent to my values.
We must restore faith in our party on the local level. We need to send a clear message that backroom, corrupt politics holds no place in Lackawanna County’s future. We, the Republican Party of Lackawanna County, must remove the stain of this corruption by acting courageously and swiftly. Nothing would be bolder than placing a hard-working public servant without any political baggage in the office of Commissioner of Lackawanna County.
The reoccurring theme in my life is that I have overcome what many have termed “insurmountable odds.” When I was diagnosed with cerebral palsy, many said I would never walk. With perseverance, I did walk. Some years later, many said that I would never learn to read. Eight years ago, I graduated in the top third of my law school class. In the aftermath of the Cordaro/Munchak verdict, many may say that it is “insurmountable odds” for the Republican Party to again become viable in Lackawanna County politics. I would be humbled if you give me the chance to beat those odds.
Sincerely,
Dominic J. Mastri, III, Esquire

8 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should make for an interesting casting call. I hope they are able to come up with a solid citizen, but whoever it is according to tradition wont have much if anything to say about county government. At the least I hope the new commissioner gets better treatment than Mike Washo got. Those televised commissioners meetings wer a first glimpse for many of Bob Cordaro and his arrogance. Then the whole thing went off the rails. I wonder if the GOP will ever rule in Lackawanna County again after this sad episode.

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave: I think you should put your name in the Munchak job!! You have my vote!!!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Dave: I think you should put your name in the Munchak job!! You have my vote!!!
I DON'T LIVE IN THE LAC.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't believe that the Republican Chair when on the Sue Henry show and had to make the point that the Republican Party is against theft - kick backs - illegal shenanigans ... WTF? Was that really necessary and did Sue Henry have to go ga ga over the jerk? God she annoys me and second to her is that high pitched LA Tarone. Who the hell hires these people? It's a long time from 9 AM to 3 PM when Corbett comes on. But thanks to those clowns, I found some great music at 104.9 ......... Thanks WILK, if it wasn't for your casting goof-ups, I would not have found such good music.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
God she annoys me and second to her is that high pitched LA Tarone.
SUE AND L.A. ARE TWO OF THE FINEST TALK SHOW PEOPLE IN THE STATE. GET PAST YOUR ANNOYANCE AND TUNE IN. I LIKE 104.9 BUT THE FREQUENCY IN WILKES BARRE IS TOUGH TO PULL IN SOME TIME.

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue and LA two of the worst talk show hosts ever. Obviously the poster was not aware of the one great Lulac fault, no criticsm of WILK will be accepted! I know you are not a fool so I write it off to your being gracious.
Another new Lulac problem is the
so called professor, but hes not your fault.
Otherwise I am a real fan of Lulac.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Hey 11:46PM, thanks for your comments.....but we love Sue, L.A. and especially the professor whoever he might be.

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no bad mouthing the wilkers... yesh don't your readers ever learn? how many comments didn't get posted?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home