Friday, June 24, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1655, June 24th, 2011






PHOTO INDEX: "MAYBE I'M AMAZED" LOGO.




MAYBE I’M AMAZED

Maybe I’m Amazed……..that an airline pilot from SouthWest Airlines did a rant on the physical characteristics of his passengers. He did not stop until an Air Traffic Controller broke in on the frequency and told him to stop. An old lesson of broadcasting that I learned from Father Tom Carten is simply this, every microphone is live and be careful what you say.
Maybe I’m Amazed……that the House Republicans and Senate are screaming about the troop withdrawal the President proposed the other night. I guess if he had an “R” in front of his name that might be better. And by the way, aren’t these the guys that funded the diversion into Iraq?
Maybe I’m Amazed……that there is a rumor going around that O.J. Simpson is going to confess to the unofficial “Mother of the country” Oprah Winfrey. He supposedly is going to say he killed his ex wife and Ron Goldman in self defense. See they were trying to steal his Hall of Fame stuff and he had no choice. The only surprise here is that there is no surprise, he killed them. The courts say no but you’d have to be a fool to believe otherwise. And how about Oprah too, is she so desperate to save her silly network that she has to give this guy more fame or infamy?
Maybe I’m Amazed……that Broadway is one of the longest streets in the world spanning 150 miles long.
Maybe I’m Amazed……that Tom Greco is shutting down another fine eatery at the Old Grogge Shoppe building. He should do everyone a favor and just sell that thing because every restaurant chef, co owner, partner that went in there had creative differences.
Maybe I’m Amazed……..Maybe I’m Amazed that the Killer Bees Softball League Reunion I went to at PNC Field brought back so many memories. A few of us even brought our old uniform tops. A few even could fit in those old uniforms too. The operative word here being “few”.
Maybe I’m Amazed…….that Jack McKeon returned himself as Manager of the struggling Florida Marlins. McKeon stepped down from the GM’s office once before and won a World Series in 2003. But he’s 80. He’s the second oldest manager after Connie Mack to pilot in the bigs. But I guess if Joe Paterno could do it past 80, so could McKeon. Unlike Paterno, McKeon has no shortage of an ego.
Maybe I’m Amazed…….that the older I get, the more annoyed I get with TV commercials. The newest one is that Arby’s commercial where at the end someone bellows “it’s good mood food”. I already stopped going to Burger King because of that freaky King costume. I think the Progressive woman is horrible and I won't buy Jello Pudding or anything related to Jello because of that gross "pudding face" commercial. If only Crispy Kreme had a gross commercial but I guess not.
Maybe I’m Amazed………that there seems to be some progress in the NFL talks. A guy who called Rush yesterday (and I was just dialing by not really listening) made the point that no fans come out and watch and root for the owners. It’s the players they want to see.
Maybe I’m Amazed…….that the people in the Crestwood School District are trying to figure out what to save and what to cut. There are discussions about full day kindergarten and eliminating language classes for middle school students. But no one is talking about eliminating the good old football team are they?
Maybe I’m Amazed…..that the jury came back so soon for the Cordaro/Munchak verdict. Equally amazing is the 10 days the Chicago jury is out in the Rod Blagojevich re-trial.

7 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

It seems to me that the Grogg location is cursed. Ever since the 70's when it was built there has been nothing but failed after failed business occupying it.
Gotta agree with you on the Burger King puppet {?}; very very creepy. What the hack on Madison Ave. was smoking when he came up with that one I'll never know.
Last point: For me the Jello smiley face is tolerable, but the other commerical for Jello where the parents are basically scaring the bejesus out of their two tykes in order to keep them away from their "adult" Jello is plain offensive.

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No time to read Lulac this morning because I've got to get to the bookstore before Bristol Palins book sells out. I especially love autobiographies by teenagers. Mom claims to have read it so if Katie Couric has any more loaded questions she is prepared. I am amazed!
Gotta Go.

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE - Amazed about football ... Are you kidding? This area would rather do without any education at all than do away or cut back with football! But Music, art, social studies, geography and such, can go. No wonder our population is so stupid. They could all be candidates for Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" segment.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave: Maybe the food is just to good at the trial!!! 10 days of free meals. Just 1 more day!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger D.B. Echo said...

I must agree with His Holiness: the Grogg Shoppe / Bazookas / Hacienda / whatever spot is cursed. Dig under it and you'll find an old Indian burial ground. They should take a cue from the Disney parks and incorporate some element of the previous tenants into whatever the current location is. It would get crowded pretty fast, I think.

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's Rod Blagojevich?

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the old Grogg shop ....... good food and friendly folks.

Cutting cost in local schools, can you believe that Pittston Area does not have a debate team? Why do they insist on playing Friday night games under the lights and why does the football team and back need to practice under the lights? Back in our day, not only were there no lights for practice, there was no grass to play on.

The worst commercial for me is the guy selling insurance for Nationwide and the other insurance salesman who walks around with his hands in his pockets and starts every second phrase with "Is the ...... "

 

Post a Comment

<< Home