Saturday, August 06, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1704, August 6th, 2011

PHOTO INDEX: OUR "INTERVIEW" LOGO.

INTERVIEW


Today marks the 100th birth anniversary of the comedienne Lucille Ball. I had the chance to spoke with the wife of a college friend of mine who is a Lucy collector.
Q: You don’t hear about many Lucy collectors, how did it start with you?
A: I was in grade school when “I Love Lucy” first came on. I watched them every week. Then in the 60s when the reruns were on, I was in heaven. During the 60s Lucy had another show on CBS.
Q: Right, the Lucy show.
A: Yes, and I sent away for a photo. I never thought I’d get one but a few days later I got the beautiful color 8 by 10 in the mail.
Q: Was it signed?
A: Yes to Ruthie. She even personalized it saying “thanks for your kind words”. After that I was going to collect stuff.
Q: What else do you have?
A: A few drink trays, a beautiful portrait of her I got at an auction, she’s in a yellow gown and various newspaper articles. I also have scrap books by decade. In them I have TV Guide photos, stories and newspaper articles. Plus movie posters. I had her sign one for me once.
Q: Her body of work was incredible, it practically spanned the entire middle of the 20th century.
A: Yes and I’m proud to say I have a great deal of articles plus many dvds of the movies and TV shows she was on.
Q: How does your husband feel about your collection?
A: He’s fine with it. I have a “Lucy” room off my basement which is adjacent to his Mets/Islanders shrine.
Q: Have you ever met Lucy?
A: Yes four times. I used to get tickets to the New York talk shows. I saw her on David Frost, Merv Griffin in New York. I traveled to Philadelphia to see her co host on Mike Douglas. Then I saw her outside of the Met one day and had a photo with her. She was very nice.
Q: I think the Lucy, pre Desi was a gorgeous woman.
A: Oh yes.
Q: On her marriages, if you had to pick one, would you want Desi Arnez or Gary Morton?
A: My jets……
Q: You’re what?
A: Hormones, sex drive…..
Q: Oh, go on.
A: My jets say Desi but Gary Morton was the one that gave her stability.
Q: Was she a comedic genius?
A: I wouldn’t say that, I tend to give the genius category to inventors and research scientists who cure disease. But I think she knew how to make people laugh, put herself out there and give people a break from their mundane lives. And in her characters you saw her portray everything that resides in every one of our souls. Ambition, wanting, envy, jealousy the need for acceptance.
Q: How are you going to celebrate the 100th birthday?
A: I’m going out to dinner with my kids and hubbie. I’m also going to have a drink I invented at our favorite restaurant.
Q: What’s in it?
A: Sparkling water, triple sec, cranberry juice, vodka, fresh lime and a splash of gin.
Q: What’s it called?
A: The crazy redhead.
Q: I should have known.


3 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Junction said...

Dave, during the haydays of the Lucy sitcom many of the viewers would turn to another station when her program came on. I was told many believed that her and her husband Desi were of the communist party faction.
Have you ever heard of that and is there any truth to it?
Myself, I enjoyed the sitcom even on the rerun channels.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

31 dead!!!One Helicopter crash.
How about flying 15 each in two helicopters for security and safety. I'm not a General, but doesnt that make sense in a combat zone?

War, what is it good for?

Enough!!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Dave, during the haydays of the Lucy sitcom many of the viewers would turn to another station when her program came on. I was told many believed that her and her husband Desi were of the communist party faction.
DURING THAT TIME PERIOD THERE WAS A LOT OF RED HYSTERIA. I REMEMBER WHEN JACK PAAR INTERVIEWED CASTRO THERE WERE PEOPLE IN MY OWN FAMILY SAYING PAAR WAS IN "CAHOOTS" WITH CASTRO. I THINK THEY SAW DESI AS A CUBAN, THEY SAW CUBA AS COMMUNIST AND NEVER BOTHERED TO EXAMINE MORE FACTS. EVERYTHING WASN'T PERFECT IN THE LATE 50s AND 60s DESPITE WHAT I TELL YA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home