Friday, October 07, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1787, October 7th, 2011

PHOTO INDEX: "MAYBE I'M AMAZED" LOGO.

MAYBE I'M AMAZED

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……at the outpouring of sadness over the death of Steve Jobs. In this anti business climate (of which I am sometimes a part of) it is refreshing to see employees and consumers alike truly rocked hard by his death. It tells you something about the man and the company. Even the state of consumerism. If you give customers what they want at a fair price, you will be successful. If you improve on that product and give customers more convenience and options, they will stay loyal to your band. In this country we try and complicate things when they are all so cut and dried. Jobs had an idea, he implemented it, paid his workers a fair wage to get the product to the consumer, made the consumer happy with the product and made money. I came very late to the IPhone party but it is truly a thing of wonder. It is a shame sometimes that the Donald Trumps of the world, those who don’t make or produce anything but feed off the corporate vine get all the attention while guys who actually make a product, change things for the better are pretty much ignored. I know Trump built buildings and increased real estate in the city. But in the end if you contrast the two, you’ll see the Trump Towers but not the Jobs IPhone. You’ll see the Trump cologne and business seminars but not the Jobs Ipad or Jobs computer. Just a thought.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that Sarah Palin took so long to tell us all what we knew in our hearts for sure. She will not make a run for the Presidential nomination in 2012 . Palin was a media phenom who just didn’t have the discipline to learn basic facts about the world. There is no doubt she will be a draw on the Republican red meat circuit but as far as changing history, that ship pretty much sailed.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that I knew instinctively that with Alex Rodriquez at the plate last night with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, the Yanks were going home. Mr. Clutch is not any nickname we’ll be giving him soon. And folks, he’s 36 now and there are 6 more long years on that contract.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that Congressman Eric Cantor is concerned about protesters in the street regarding Wall Street. Cantor said the Occupy Wall Street protests, should be condemned by political leaders who are supporting them.
"This administration's failed policies have resulted in an assault on many of our nation's bedrock principles," he said. "If you read the newspapers today, I, for one, am increasingly concerned about the growing mobs occupying Wall Street and the other cities across the country. And believe it or not, some in this town, have actually condoned the pitting of Americans against Americans. This is rich. Cantor never said a word about the Tea Party people disrupting the Town Meetings in 2009. He never said a word as thousands of “good Americans” totally mischaraterized the health care bill as socialized medicine. This guy amazes me. He reminds me of the old slippery snake oil salesmen that used to roam the hillsides in the south. Except this guy gives a bad name to snake, oil and salesmen in one fell swoop.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that the number of applications for the County Manager position went from 55 to 70. There must have been a real flurry of activity on that final day.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that Iowa expects to hold its presidential caucuses on January 3, instead of February 6, according to a reporter for the Des Moines Register. This is an important step in getting the wrangled-over schedule of the GOP primaries -- which has, in recent weeks, been a source of tumult -- into focus.
If I’ve said it once, I’ll say it another thousand times. Iowa is a state that is not representative of the cross section and cultural makeup of this country. It is filled with conceited political know it alls who vote in paid caucuses as many times as they like and control the destiny of this country with their 90,000 voters that make the judgement on who might be Presidential timber. It is not surprising to me that they have moved their start up date to garner national attention for their pathetic dog and pony show that they masquerade as a civics lesson in democracy.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that there is almost no controversy over the ESPN Annual Body Issue where people are actually naked and that every winter Sports Illustrated gets heat for their swimsuit issue. Don’t understand that.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that this big orange thing in the sky has been around since Wednesday in LuLac land. Nice to see the sun out for a change. Hopefully that’ll dry out some damaged areas hit by the floods of September.

5 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your observation of Steve Job's business model is flawed. I admire Jobs, but he did NOT ask a fair price. What he did was basically create a monopoly for Apple brand. Unlike Gates who gave licensed his software to every computer maker who wanted it, Jobs kept everything in house; which meant that if you wanted mac software you had to buy apple computers. Because he did produce a superior product he was able to ask whatever he wanted and got it for his product. I was an avid apple user until my laptop crashed. For the price of a new one I was able to equip my office with a desktop and 4 other laptops. While one day I may purchase another mac for personal use, the simple fact is PCs were just as efficient for my needs and allowed me to reinvest my money.
Jobs was a great business man, innovator and he truly changed the world; but he was a capitalist in the model of Rockefeller.
P.S. funny thing how he had money and access to the best health care in the world and wow, he still died. Healthcare isn't a guarantee of living or being cured. I wonder how much longer someone else would have lived, someone without such an aggressive form of cancer, if they got the liver Jobs got?

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2:11 PM

You get what you pay for. Have fun with all of those viruses and malware!

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once spent several days in Iowa on business. DeMoines was the cleanest city I ever saw and the only city I saw. The people were somewhat laid back and decent. I remember driving from DeMoines to Fort Dodge and saw nothing in between but cornfields and silos. After taking care of business in Fort Dodge I offered to take the gentleman I visited and his wife out to dinner. Sadly I was informed that there was no restaurant in Fort Dodge! That was many years ago, but NY, Cleveland or Chicago it aint. Hell it made Scranton/WB look like a metropolis.
Representative of the rest of America it just aint!

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look closely and tell me what the difference is between the Wall Street kids and the drunken King's kids that tear up our neighborhood?

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally a Warden with balls! Let the union piss and moan all they want, these guys did not do one tenth of their job. Thank God the escapee didnt kill or injure anyone else. Corey OBrien found it easy to criticize, but hasnt done any better with the jail because its a quagmire. The previous two wardens were major losers who took advantage of situations and one demanded a pay raise for doing a lousy job and got it! She never should have had the job in the first place. Give the new guy a free hand and he'd most likely, with justification, fire half the COs. Its a GD cesspole and a good investigation would reveal much much more. I think they should all be fired and given the opportunity to apply for jobs.


Pete Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home