Sunday, March 16, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2619, March 16th, 2014

NOT HANGIN’ IN THERE!

John Hanger thought this might be the year to make a serious run for Governor of Pennsylvania. After all, John Hanger is a serious man and is serious about the issuers he cares about. During one of the Gubernatorial debates John Hanger showed people just how serious he could be. But his wonkish candidacy was buried by money. Alas, 2014 isn’t John Hanger’s year.
His exit from the race is not the first one. Prior to Hanger’s announcement this past week, three others dropped their bid. Lebanon County Commissioner Jo Ellen Litz, minister Max Myer and Allentown Mayor Ed Pawloski quit when they saw the handwriting on the wall.

THE FINAL FIVE

So the Governor’s race is now down to a final five. The front runner Tom Wolf has spent millions on introductory TV ads. Hanger attributed Wolf’s media blitz to his inability to raise donor money. State Treasurer Rob McCord has been crossing the state and has made inroads especially getting a huge union endorsement from the state teacher’s union. But that could be a double edged sword considering how some people feel about the state of Education in the Commonwealth.
U.S. Representative Allyson Schwartz who is giving up a Congressional seat to make this run was supposed to be the front runner but Wolf took care of that. The entrance of former Rendell Environmental Protection Agency Secretary Katie McGinty has turned out to be a sure fire guarantee to split the women’s vote.
That leaves former Auditor General Jack Wagner. Wagner is totally underfunded in this campaign and there are many who think he started too late. All that said, Wagner is a known name in the State. He has a very good reputation as Auditor General. Plus the Western part of the states tends to coalesce around a Western candidate. 
Here’s a scenario to look at. While Wolf has spent money on media, in primaries the ground game counts big time. Wolf needs to translate those good polling numbers into real votes cast for him. McCord needs to make clear he is more than the Union candidate. If these two fail at those deficits, and Schwartz and McGinty split the vote, Jack Wagner just might wind up as the Democratic nominee for Governor.
Hanger’s exit might seem like a mere footnote to this campaign but if Wagner adopts some of Hanger’s supporters as well as his issues, you might see that the West might prevail in the Democratic primary.


6 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only chink I can find in Wolfs armor is a turn in the Peace Corps at the height of the Vietnam War.
The Peace Corps was a great idea, but it did provide a dodge for many draft eligible patriots. I would like to see this question put directly to the candidate.

RGB
Peace Corps Volunteer

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I think you are spot on about the Guv's race. The only impediment I see with Wagner is money. I see this as a winner maybe getting 30$ of the vote.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who looks for an excuse to not vote for Wolfe deserves exactly what they get. The man is for real and he has a real track record that anyone would be ;proud to run on. He has my vote and quite frankly, I don't care what any man thought back in the 60's or 70's... I was a Vietnam hawk and I'm ashamed of myself. It was a wrong war and I was wrong for supporting it. I wish now I had the intelligence to see it for what it was and the courage to do something about it. I can't go back but I can do what I think is right this time around so I have no doubt that Wolfe will get my vote and every vote I can muster for him. I want to live in the today, not the yesterday. What I ate yesterday soes not sustain me today so let's move on and get the right man elected.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont care what you ate yesterday, or what you were worried about politically in the past, but
since you are such a big WOLF supporter you ought to spell his name right. And I didnt say I wouldnt vote for him, I just asked a question. No need to get in defense mode unless you know something I dont.

RGB

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Corbett id against Tom Wolfe, so he must not be a good candidate.

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Prof.Wilburn notsoClever said...

I think we should waterboard Musto until he fesses up and names his coconspirators then we should hang him and put him out of his misery as a mercy killing then quarter him and bury him in four corners of the state.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home