Wednesday, April 02, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2628, April 2nd, 2014

Our "Write On Wednesday" logo.

WRITE ON WEDNESDAY

CHAMBER MISSING THE BOAT


A few days ago the Wilkes Barre Chamber of Commerce presented an article on their "accomplishments." I will respond to that article in the future point by point. But a reader of the Citizen's Voice wrote a letter to the editor on his take on their "accomplishments."
Editor:
I'm compelled to disagree with your recent article claiming that our chamber has been doing a good job in our present and future growth in our area.
Most of the jobs that have come into our area are low-paying warehouse jobs with a trickle of a few management jobs that come with this industry.
Sure, there may be a minuscule number of companies with above average salaries, but they're outnumbered by thousands of low paying jobs brought in by the chamber.
Let's face it, the chamber missed the boat by not bringing in good high-paying technical jobs. The chamber made a mistake when they went for quantity while they should've gone for quality. Then the quantity would have followed.
I've lived in this area my whole life with my wife and four children; each child can't wait to leave the area.
Meanwhile, I'm only here because my mother still resides in the valley. I travel 50 miles one way to work every day to give my family a comfortable way of life.
I keep holding out hope that things will change, but every time I see our chamber tooting its own horn, it's the same old song.
Ed Amendola
Kingston

1 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Junction said...

Dave, sounds like the same old song all over in regards to how the local C of C operate. It is criminal that they still have that "Coal Miner" mentality. Maybe someday a future generation will not have to deal with that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home