Monday, March 17, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2620, March 17th, 2014

BIDEN’S BOILER PLATE

Vice President Joe Biden at the Woods tonight for the Pittston Friendly Sons Dinner.
Vice President Joe Biden broke precedent with past speakers at the Pittston Friendly Sons of St. Patrick’s Day Dinner tonight at the Woodlands. He actually began his remarks early. In the past the Friendly Sons had to wait sometimes for Presidential candidates who were “en route” but tonight Biden , in town since this morning stepped to the plate early.
Biden gave a twenty minute speech that touched all the right notes for this Friendly Sons crowd. He spoke of his late mother, growing up in Scranton and outlined how important family was to him. Biden made many appearances here through the years but tonight was one The Friendly Sons of Pittston celebrating 100 years will long remember.
The Vice President called out the Pittston Mayor, joked with the crowd about the first St. Patrick’s Day in Pittston in decades and a few other quips. But he was earnest and connected with his remarks. Perhaps no American politician can connect with people like Biden can. He is unabashedly joyful and optimistic. It might have been his brush with the death from an aneurism or just the innate cheeriness that was a trademark of his youth in Scranton back in the 50s.
There are some who will say that Biden, on his way to Europe was just going through the motions and doing the standard boilerplate speech typical of politicos. But many in attendance will disagree. Like Biden’s remark to President Obama when the Health Care Law was passed, “This was a big ______deal!
Congrats to the Pittston Friendly Sons for an event that was well planned and orchestrated.

2 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Professor Milburn Cleaver, OPA said...

Good morning students,
I hope you are all nicely recovering from your St. Patrick’s weekend hangovers. As the classroom is once again sparse, I can only assume that the revelers of the class will most likely be absent for the remainder of the week. Leave it to the Irish to spread a one day event devoted to drinking into a several weeks event.
The work of this classroom goes forward…..
Students, as an attendee of the Greater Pittston St. Patrick’s Day dinner last evening (I had one glass of “good” beer) I must say I was impressed with the pageantry and decorum which went along with the appearance of the Vice President of the United States. “Uncle Joe” spoke briefly, and quite predictably of his Scranton based youth adding a few quips of humor. In view of the fact that a serious St. Patrick’s Day speech has probably not been made by a politician since the Truman days, I shall give Mr. Biden a pass on his lack of substance. Not that most of the audience would have understood had he actually been substantive.
As the Vice President exited, I shook his hand briefly and said “Good luck”. He, of course, thanked me. As I stated yesterday, I hold great reservations on this man, but you do not dress down a man in public.
For some reason, I had the impression that he believes he can be the next President. I am no fan of Secretary Clinton and she will forever be linked with three words: Monica, Whitewater and Benghazi. Still, it appears to me that if she wants her party’s nod, she will receive it in two years, despite all the efforts of Uncle Joe. Had I an opportunity to speak about this with Mr. Biden I would have counseled him to perhaps make history by being the first Vice President to serve under two Presidents. Of course, we all know that Mrs. Clinton will be the nominee, but Governor Brown will be the ultimate victor. Still, it would have been nice to make Ol’ Joe feel better for a little while---even if it was false security.
In closing, I would very much like to attend this year’s blogfest, however I feel I must pass for fear of my life. If I could be promised security I would no doubt enjoy seeing how the other half lives. I was even considering consulting with Mr. Yonki on the possibility of gathering an hour before with those interested to deliver a lecture. Regardless, reality has set in and I shall not be attending.

I wish that I could continue a bit longer today, however I am due in the doctor’s office within the hour and he does not wish to be kept waiting----he just prefers to see me waiting…you may laugh.
If I am unavailable for lectures over the course of the next week, I ask you all to complete your assignments, go easy on the booze and drugs, and please refrain from driving!!! The life you save may be mine or an awakening reveler from the St. Patrick’s Day parade.
Something to think about this morning…..
Class Dismissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand Steve, I only talk and never do anything about issues, hate Joe Biden.
If Corbett hates him, he must be bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home