Sunday, July 13, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2695, July 13th, 2014

Our “13 Questions” logo.

13 QUESTIONS

1. Why do you think Tom Corbett is so unlikeable?

I’m not sure why he doesn’t connect with people. Could be the Prosecutor in him or maybe just a misconception. As I stated earlier this week, perhaps the Governor should embrace that perception. He’s done it in his ads saying he didn’t become Governor to make friends. Maybe he can work with that. But as we all know from High School elections, it’s all about likability and popularity. Remember the Gore/Bush question in 2000? Who’d you rather have a beer with? Tom Wolf is very wealthy but he presents himself as a genuine guy who you’d believe drives a Jeep. Corbett doesn’t need a makeover because that would be perceived as fake. He just needs to be who he is and hope for the best.

2. What are your thoughts on the Moon Lake Park situation in Luzerne County?

Well Moon Lake was once a gem but has fallen into disrepair and neglect because of money. The County Council has to make some hard decisions about it. In the 80s there was a County employee who lived on the grounds and ran it. It would be nice to bring it back but right now with the County trying to come out of the hole, sadly I’d regard that as a luxury. Now if there is a private business person out there that can turn a profit without County funds, (Fast Eddies or Thommie types need not apply please) that might be another matter.

3. The All Star game. Do you watch? Do you care? Also, what do you think of Lebron James coming back to Cleveland?

I do watch. Love the introductions. To a point I care but not as much as my buddies do.
As far as LeBron goes, I think his move is refreshing in this era of big name athletes. What I like about James, who was hammered when he turned pro at a very young age is that he seems to have a moral compass. Unlike many athletes, he takes the long view regarding his life and career. Not only is he a gifted talent but seems like a sensible man. As for Cleveland, it will be a major boost.

4. The government is really screwed up. The Republicans say the government has enough money but spending is the problem. The Democrats say that the Middle Class needs help. Who is right?

Both. The GOP has a point that spending is an issue but they seem to want to spend revenue on enhancing the business community. The Dems meanwhile are correct when they say the Middle Class is shrinking. The problem stems from the fact that no one has the balls to say no. The GOP has to keep their interest groups in check and so do the Demos. But they won’t because no one is working together. No one trusts the other party to do the right thing. The GOP rails against regulations but the Demos have seen what happens when private industry gets unregulated. They go after their own profits and screw the middle class. We are in an era right now where any successful legislation is made by building a multi coalition of like minded legislators. But that is time consuming and doesn’t get big media attention. The game will change when the next administrations gets a majority and unlike President Obama, uses it to get an entire sweep of legislation, good or bad, however you perceive it, passed. As the late Governor Bob Casey used to say, “What did you do when you had the power?”

5. What are your thoughts on The Arena Board situation regarding the called for resignation of a Board member?

Here’s what I think. The Arena Board has become an embarrassment. It is an insult to the hard work that State Representative Kevin Blaum did to make The Arena a reality. I think there should be better vetting of Board members as well as staff too. This recent situation is a case where everybody’s wrong and nobody’s right. And for it to boil over from an internal staff e mail exchange with a board member really tells me that the staff and the board can’t handle their responsibilities. I feel bad for new board members who have to put up with this stuff.

6. The President played pool instead of visiting the border? Can you defend him?

Absolutely not. What a tone deaf move. He is drinking beer and playing pool and then goes to Texas and doesn’t go the border! At the Press Conference he says it’s not a photo op. But then what the hell was Denver? I think two things are going on here and I can’t tell which one is correct. The guy has the worst staff in the world that have no common sense or the President has decided, “You know what, I’m done. I got re-elected twice, no one will work with me so I’m going to do what I want”, Jesus, if Matt Cartwright can go meet striking nurses, Obama could have visited a health clinic with some of those kids. Tone deaf and very disappointing.

7. I noticed in the local media last month that there was a lot of news about Myasthenia Gravis, a condition you revealed to us in May on your 8th anniversary. I heard Mrs. LuLac on the radio several times. Why weren’t you involved in front of the microphone?

The MG support group asked me to help them with media. There are about 30 people in it who are articulate and can speak to the symptoms and treatment of MG. That support group was a lifeline for me in my darkest days of this disease. I found that others could not chew, eat or breath and that I was not alone. Mrs. LuLac spoke in the role of a caregiver. The group felt that more outreach was needed. Quite frankly I’m so grateful in the place I’m in now, I’d have gone in a dunk tank if they wanted me to. I helped set up the interviews but felt that my presence would mix the message. For the last 7 years when people see me on TV or hear me on the radio, it is about politics. I did not want the message of what MG is to be diluted by LuLac and its political bent. The people who did the TV and Radio were wonderful and accomplished the goal of making people more aware of MG.

8. The NFL is coming up very soon. You looking forward to it?

Man I never realized the NFL went away. It seems like every sports station leads with the NFL. I guess I’m looking forward to it but I really don’t get into football until mid season. Go Pack.

9. What is your take on “The Inn At the Abingtons” turning down a wedding reception for a same sex couple?

Personally I think the couple dodged a bullet. I’ve been there on three occasions and the wait staff really left something to be desired and the roast beef was as tough as my JCrew boots I bought in the winter of ’95. Throwing Brittany Sweeney out of there showed what type of person the owner really is. You make a stand on something, you should have the stones to back it up.

10. I’ve been a reader of blogs for a long period of time going back to the Blog Father and the venerable Mr. Mark Cour. Is it my imagination or are there fewer blogs out there? And what do you attribute your longevity to? Also would you ever consider giving it up?

I think there are more blogs around than ever before. The thing is they are more diverse in topic. Most newspapers have a designated person to do a political blog. They are very informative. My favorites used to be Jon Micek when he was with The Allentown Morning Call. For live event coverage you can’t find anyone better than the Times Tribune’s Borys Krawczenuk. And I do check in on Corbett’s stuff on the WILK website. So they’re out there. And very good.
I attribute the success of Lulac to the fact that I treat it like a job. I show up every day when possible and work the craft so to speak. I never imagined writing this would bring me the good things (in terms of sales for my other projects) it has engendered. More importantly though doing LuLac has forged some very good friendships from people across all political aisles.
I enjoy doing LuLac, and the only way I might stop is if a health issues develops or I’m offered a position somewhere that might conflict with this effort.

11. Love following you on Face book. Actually that’s how I found out about LuLac. Do you go to the movies a lot and what did you think of Jersey Boys?

I don’t go to the movies often. The last movie I saw before “Jersey Boys” was “Lincoln”. On the movie about the Four Seasons, let me just say I thought it was a good portrayal of the group. It was somewhat formulmatic as the group started their rise. However it all rang true. I belong to a Four Seasons on line discussion group. I contribute but never get a response because it is pretty cliquish. But I enjoy seeing the various takes on the movie. These are hard core Seasons fans and know every nuance so some were disappointed because this nugget wasn’t included or this song should have been added. Clint Eastwood did a good job and I thought it was hysterical he was being second guessed. But look, a consumer has a right to do that. The music was good, I thought the killer portrayals though were from Erich Bergen who played Bob Gaudio and Michael Lomenda who played Nick Massi. I was a little put off by the constant reference to Jersey loyalty and pride. I don’t think it is a source of pride to say that fidelity to Jersey mob thugs is a good thing. To insinuate that the only way out of Jersey is to be a mob member or singer is an insult to anyone who attended a college in the Garden State. I was around as a fan when the group dispatched Tommy DeVito because of differences. The movie made it seem that this guy should be celebrated because he was a Jersey boy and Jersey boys always are loyal if not on the straight and narrow. For me that was the only clunker. Loved the music, loved the story and the ending. I’d recommend it to anyone.

12. When you go on PA Live who picks your ties?

I do. But because it is an afternoon, informal deal I might go tie less one of these days.

13. Well June 30th came and went and I was bracing myself for a diatribe against Jesus, the Bishop and the universe because they closed St. John the Baptist Church in Pittston that day. Have you finally made your peace?

Well I don’t think that’s anything a lot of people will get over. I feel that the monument on the site has helped ease the angst. At least mine anyway. I’m also glad I had the wherewithal to help with that very beautiful memorial. Monsignor Bendik went above and beyond with it. By the way, anyone want to see the video again.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to recent events, we forwarded a few questions to the front of the line plus we combined a few others in one query The other questions we received will be in our August 13th Edition. As for the requests for Raffi’s “Banana Phone” (we got three this month on 13Qs,) we’ll run that sometime this week.

16 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you planning on covering the huge discrimination case in Pittston where a senior citizen was kicked out of pool for her ethnicity?

Where are liberals like you when we need them? Get on the case, Yonk!

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no...to number 13, we do not want to see that video again. spare us please.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That monument is beautiful Yonk, but no, we've seen that video enough.

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonks-

Have ya checked the price on those Jeeps lately? Sticker shock!

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,
My cousin always like your ties. We don't wear many in our family except when the men go to the box.

K Girl.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you on TV with the Morning Crew on WBRE as well as on Pa. Live saying that Tom Corbett still has a chance. People around here forget about that big T in the center of the state that goes heavily GOP. It will break your heart because I know you're a Wolf man but you might be right.
It also shows that even though you support someone, you are realistic and clear headed.

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look out!
Tom might be a Wolf in Sheeps clothing and I'd bet he only drives the Jeep in photo ops. Still anything to knock King Corbett off his throne! One day it will be a Scranton dame named Kane.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, so glad your health is better. Great stuff every day.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki, have some real nit pickers on this board heyna?

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to go to Moon Lake as a kid. What wonderful memories. What administration do you think protected that great facility the most?

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They go after their own profits and screw the middle class.

Both sides screw the middle class Yonk! Admit it.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
I used to go to Moon Lake as a kid. What wonderful memories. What administration do you think protected that great facility the most?
THE COUNTY ADMINISTRATION THAT TOOK MOON LAKE MOST SERIOUSLY WAS THE TRINISEWSKI/PHILLIPS REGIME. THE COUNTY CLERK WAS GENE KLEIN AND THE MANAGER AT MOON LAKE WAS BOB PITCAVAGE. THEY WERE HANDS ON FUNDING IT AND TAKING CARE OF IT.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSEDave,
My cousin always like your ties.
I'M SO GLAD.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Yonki, have some real nit pickers on this board heyna?
YEAH YOU CAN MAKE THE MOST BRILLIANT POINT IN THE WORLD AS MOST OF MY POSTERS DO....BUT AS MY SISTER IN LAW SAYS MANY TIMES..."WHATEVER".

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As to question 13 ... NO! We do not want to see it again!
And please stop beating me, I've had quite enough.
Respectfully,
The Dead Horse

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see in the news where SGT Bergdahl is back on active duty and assigned to a security desk job.
This doesnt seem to me like the best spot for him if in fact there is a spot. How about we finish the investigation? Whats the hurry here?
This begs the Question, What the Hell is going on?

Col Elby True Ret.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home