Saturday, July 26, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2702, July 26th, 2014

Our Maybe I’m Amazed” logo

MAYBE I’M AMAZED

MAYBE I'M AMAZED...that the good people of Cape Cod, Massachusetts are concerned that an invitation to house border children will wreck their culture. As Maynard J. Crebbs would say, "Oh come now!!" Culture in some parts of Massachusetts is an oxymoron.
MAYBE I'M AMAZED...that Scranton is trying to revive the Commuter Tax. Maybe the city should just get all the people who owe garbage fees and other taxes to pay.
MAYBE I'M AMAZED..that even with their injuries, half the pitching staff in rehab and spotty hitting, the New York Yankees are in second place in the AL East.
MAYBE I'M AMAZED..that the latest reincarnation of the Pierce Street Bridge in between Kingston and Wilkes Barre is a real pleasure to drive over. The construction period was taxing at times but well worth the wait. Just like Coal Street in Wilkes Barre.
MAYBE I'M AMAZED..but not that L.A. Tarone's night time show on WILK is going gangbusters. When you have a ton of calls in your last hour and you are getting a decent rating, you know something is going well. I’m not privy to the latest ratings numbers but I’m told Tarone’s program performed exceptionally well
MAYBE I'M AMAZED…that the Soviet Union, (Uh I mean Russia, Mr. Putin is giving me flashbacks of the Cold War of the 60s) is suing McDonald’s Hamburger joints because they are selling food with higher levels of fats and carbohydrates than is legally sanctioned by the government. So they’ll allow the Ukraine stuff to slide and get pissy about labeling? They are not listing the correct nutrition facts on their labeling.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..at how truly ignorant people who claim to be news watchers really are these days. I’m in an eatery, won’t say where but this guy is mouthing off wondering how so many people from The Netherlands were on that Air Malaysia Flight that was shot down. If they stayed where they were supposed to he reasoned, they’d be alive. Normally I’d let this pass but I put my two cents in. I explained that n the U.S. there is an Air Jamaica and a Korean Air Lines. I said that if American tourists were traveling to Jamaica on Air Jamaica they were using that country’s Airline to get there, saying they would not be out of place. So too with U.S. residents taking Korean Air lines to the Pacific. The flight manifests and their passports would put them “in the right place” As an added note I also said that a segment of the people on that Air Malaysian Jet were experts traveling from The Netherlands to contribute to an important conference on Aids Research. He looked at me dubiously and said, “I didn’t see that on Hannitty”. That’s when I left.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that a pineapple is not an apple or a pine but in reality a large berry. Speaking of pineapples, can it be eight years since WARM personality Terry McNulty passed away? Here he is with Mrs. LuLac and a friend Mary Carrano with the ubiquitous pineapple. McNulty ran "The Pineapple Feature" on the Mighty 590.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that two local authors seems to be making quite the splash these days. The first is Bryan Kollar who wrote “The Memory Machine” which is a very quick but interesting read about how a Luzerne County Judge, two detectives and a computer geek drop the crime rate by many percentage points and find true love in the end. 
The other book is a 28 page essay/manifesto/diatribe/novella by Dr. Joe Leonardi called "If God were here, I would ask him _______? and then punch him in the face!" In his no holds barred style, Doc Joe decides to go one on one with the Almighty himself. He asks some tough questions, and comes to some interesting revelations. Kollar’s book is available at his website,
http://www.bryankollar.com/ and Leonardi’s book can be accessed at https://www.createspace.com/4917696?ref=1147694&utm_id=6026 or on Amazon Kindle. But Dr. Joe, what if God were a woman? Would you still clock her?
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………..that just the day after I had dinner with the college radio buddies from King’s, one of the subjects we were conversing about came to reality the next day for me and Mrs. LuLac. My friends and I were discussing Gas Station scams and how someone would come up to us at a gas pump and give a sob story and ask for money. We each had a tale to tell. The next night Mrs. LuLac and I went to TGIF’s and on the way home I got gas at the Turkey Hill in Plains because it was the less expensive option. I’m filling up and I see a car pull up next to me with a sun roof and two fishing poles sticking out. Not to be judgmental but I thought it odd to see fishing poles at 7pm on a Friday night sticking out of car. The woman goes into the Turkey Hill and the guy starts canvassing all of us for cash because his girl friend’s purse was robbed. I was tired, felt a cold coming on (a manifestation of a low immune system from Myasthenia Gravis can wreck havoc, but it was my own fault because this week I didn’t portion out my rest the right way) and was in no mood to chat. The next guy, an older gentleman said, “I just filled my truck up with seventy bucks, do I look like I have anything left?” Mrs. LuLac said someone should have told him to report the “crime” to the police. It’s getting to the point where you can’t even get quietly screwed by the gas companies without being hassled. My friend Pat Fadden who was one of the guys I dined with can tell you all about avoiding hassles of all kind.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that when watching the movie “Poldergeist” there is a scene where you see a TV station signing off with the National Anthem. Believe it or not that is something I had to explain to a few younger people I know who never saw a TV sign off in their lives. Speaking of that, how many of you remember hearing this when WBRE TV used to sign off the air pre 1980? This was played right before The National Anthem.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todays Scranton Times carries an article stating that the Lacka Historical Society will be undertaking a review of the monuments on courthouse square regarding accuracy etc. This is a great opportunity to ask why the statue of Phil Sheridan is there in the first place. He has according to my research no connection to the area. He was not a hero serving mostly as Grants hatchet man in the Shenandoah Valley burning farms and crops, not fighting the Confederates. He was also later a killer of Indians on the plains and the "man " credited with the phrase "the only good Indian is a dead Indian". In this era of political correctness where the Washington Redskins and the Cleveland Indians are under fire, the Indians were in fact named in honor of an American Indian ballplayer, I think its time Little Phil came down from his big horse! This was once Indian Country and as a lifetime resident with Lenape and Delaware blood I say we organize a statue destruction party or do it legally and tear the damn offensive statue down! There is no place for Little Phil on the square. Frankly I'm amazed he is there in the first place. We Indians are not too happy about Christopher Columbus either, but are willing to give him a pass since misguided history has chosen to honor him. In the end he got his anyway.

the Chief

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chief
The only reason I can come up with for Sheridan is that he was Irish.
John Mitchell is the only one who deserves the honor due to local history. Courthouse Square has never looked right since Cordaro/Munchak screwed it all up with dedications to words they didnt understand like Honor!

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that Israel claims not to be responsible for deaths which occurred during strikes in Gaza.
Right or wrong, good or bad guys it happens. We claimed surgical strikes in Iraq and Afghanistan were not harming civilians. As far back as Vietnam or earlier we made similiar ridiculous claims. War is a bitch and weapons no matter how sophisticated cause collateral damage. Whether or not Israel is in the right, dont insult the rest of us with these claims. Its war and civilians and children suffer everyday it goes on!

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merli and Sarnoski belong on the square. Real Congressional Medal of Honor recipients are worthy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home