Sunday, December 13, 2015

The LuLac Edition #3089, December 13th, 2015

13 QUESTIONS

Our “13 Questions” logo.

1. What are your thoughts on the State Budget process?

Like many I am very distressed and disappointed. I understand why Governor Wolf is standing firm. If he doesn’t in his first year, he will be continually rolled by the GOP. Even Tom Corbett could not get everything he wanted from the GOP gang. On the other hand there has to some reason demonstrated by the Legislature. The other day I was watching PCN and they had this debate as to the advertising for the state and whether the tag line, Paid For by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania should be part of the fiscal bill. These people are getting paid and non profit agencies are literally scraping to get by. Personal home care givers are working for free in some cases. Layoffs are coming. I like my friend Sue Henry’s idea that each Legislator should face some kind of opposition either in a primary or a general. In some cases these reps run without opposition and waltz in.
The Governor and the Senate reached a deal. Then the House Republicans started to screw around. Now they say there will be a delay. If you want to know why people are so polarized it is because of Republican state reps that won’t compromise. People like me, who in the past voted for Statewide Republicans like Arlen Specter, John Heinz, Dick Thornburgh, Tom Ridge, yes even Tom Corbett when he was Attorney General and guys like Joe Peters, are shutting down and voting straight party. Why reward the bad behavior of what amounts to Legislative thuggery? No less an authority than Ed Rendell told the Pennsylvania Society last night that if the Legislature did not fund early childhood education, maybe next year they shouldn’t be funded. He was right! That’s a long answer but in a few words, disappointing and frustrating.

2. Have you ever considered writing a book about Luzerne County and Lackawanna county politics?

Yes I have. My friend Gort 42 brought that up a few years ago. It would be a daunting task and even developing an outline is something I’m still trying to figure out.

3. Why do you hate Donald Trump?

To quote Rocky Balboa, “I don’t hate anybody”. Well okay maybe some of the deep South. But not Trump. I think he has forced debate on many issues. I love his rapid fire style. I would just feel a little more comfortable if I knew he was studying the issues, getting advice from those “very best people” who he says will help him solve the issues. I cannot believe anyone in the national press has not asked him questions about what President, if any he’d model his administration on.
How can I hate a guy who has a 24 year age gap in his marriage? As we said in yesterday’s LuLac on Sinatra, we keep records on that type of thing!

4. Are you dropping the top during this great weather?

I am so tempted to, especially today but with the Myasthenia Gravis, I have to watch my immune system. So I’m wavering but will probably side with not doing it. But man I might.

5. Yonk in your career where were the best Christmas parties you attended?

Hands down the Media parties. Thank God there were no cell phone cameras during that time. I also enjoyed the WVIA , United Way and Blue Cross employee events. They were always on site and you got to meet people from other departments that you might not have interacted with on a daily basis.
Another favorite party of mine was in 1991. At that time four of my friends along with me were unemployed. So we went to a bar in the Poconos and had an “Unemployment Christmas Party”. That was fun. It was actually the night Mario Cuomo decided not to run for President. Thank God at the end of ’92 we did not have to have another one of those.

6. In the upcoming McGinty-Sestak race, who do you think will prevail?

Sestak is running an unorthodox campaign. I’m impressed by his stamina and his heart. McGinty has the support of the Democratic party in the State however Pennsylvania Democrats sometimes dance to the beat of their own drummer in a primary. Just ask Rob McCord and Bob Casey Junior who were backed to the hilt in 2002 and 2014 for Governor. Speaking of dancing here was McGinty cutting the rug last night in New York. Sestak stayed home and did volunteer service work. Just saying.  (Photo: PCN)
7. In the next few years do you see a return to the three Commissioner form of government and a rejection of the Council in Luzerne County?

No I do not. I do see a revision of the Charter, maybe a downsizing of the number of people on Council. I think it would take a tremendous shift in public opinion for it to go back to the three person form. Every time I’m tempted to think this new form is not working, I remember how the various trios got us into this mess in the first place.

8. Favorite holiday drink?

A glass of Riesling wine. But with the Myasthenia I only have a half glass. So I guess we’ll go with the 8 ounce Coke as a treat and Diet Snapple as a staple. Definitely Aquafina for the football games!

9. As a kid at Christmas when did you open presents and for you what is the most significant day, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

We opened Christmas presents the day before at my Grandfather’s home. All the cousins got together then. The next morning we opened up presents at home.
As an adult the tradition continued, opening them up at my Mother in-Law's the night before, then going up to my mom’s right after and the next day at home.
Now we are at the age that where being with family and just being above ground are more important than any gift. To be truthful, even if I won the lottery, I have pretty much everything I need or want. As long as I have my health, I’ll keep moving.

10. I saw your segment on WBRE regarding Christmas gifts for political junkies. You and Valerie seemed to be having a lot of fun. Will there ever be a Yonk/LuLac bobblehead?

I love working with Dave Kuharchik and Valerie Tysaner. Both seem to get my style and delivery and it is great fun to be on that show. As for the bobble head, uh….no!!!  But for those who missed it, here’s that segment.



11. Snow guy or rain guy for Christmas?

Rain!!!! One of my most memorable Christmas Eves was in 1964 when it was 60 degrees and raining. My grandfather’s house had a coal stove and it was roasting. We had the front door opened and windows too. Glorious.

12. What do you think of the Time Person of the Year Choice?

Better than Trump or Sanders. Or God forbid a terrorist leader.

13. Where did you get those snazzy yellow glasses?

You mean these? 


Engle Eyewear. After the eye surgery I was talked into them by Mrs. LuLac and one of the owners. They are great to alternate once in a while. No one notices at work so I guess they aren’t that outrageous. Thanks for asking and stop by their shop near Leggio’s. You won’t be disappointed.

5 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

snazzy yellow glasses

Maybe they look better in person Yonk 'cause they don't translate well in your stills. Sorta Sally Jessie Raphael meets Truman Capote. Frames are tough call under the best of circumstances, perhaps you should involve Mrs. LuLac who is credited with good taste in such matters.
I noticed you went back to a more conservative frame with Valerie (who you have good chemistry with). How tall is she?

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duh! Reread. Mrs. LuLac approved them. Maybe its ME that needs new glasses.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Maybe they look better in person Yonk 'cause they don't translate well in your stills. Sorta Sally Jessie Raphael meets Truman Capote.

IN RESPONSE

As the guy from Lenahan and Dempsey cries out, "OH NO!!!". Sally and Truman, yikes.

IN RESPONSE

I noticed you went back to a more conservative frame with Valerie (who you have good chemistry with).

We do. She's a political junkie.

How tall is she?

A few inches under the "danger danger Will Robinson" threshold.

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the glasses need a hat to pull "The LuLac Look" together. Que Roxette Mr Producer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home