The LuLac Edition #3468, April 13th, 2017
1. Easter is late this year, any favorite Easter memories you’d like to share?
Mostly family get togethers. When you had a mother with 12 other brothers and sisters and a father with 6, there was always something big happening.
We’d go to church on Holy Thursday at St. John the Baptist, then afterwards walk to all of the surrounding churches on William Street to visit.
We would go to church for the whole three hours on Good Friday as well as Holy Saturday.
My Godmother would get us chocolate airplanes or automobiles and we blessed a basket with paska and the iconic Easter Cheese called Cirak, or Cydek.
Only one Aunt remains out of all my parent’s generation and that makes it bittersweet. Plus this year the family homestead on Cliff Street in the Junction was sold. But yeah, great memories.
2. How did you fare with that big bad blizzard?
Not bad. Our friend and neighbor Jerry up the street shoveled through the night and cleared it the next day. Another friend bulldozed the driveway. My car was buried until the Sunday after.
I did get violently ill from something I ate and was feeling very unwell for the week.
Mrs. LuLac took me to work and for a short while it was a pain, but we all got by.Thanks for asking.
3. Thoughts on Donald Trump’s incursion into Syria?
Well he did send a message and I hope that it took. This is a Civil War he warned against rightly on the campaign trail. I hope this is not an incursion into another Mideast conflict.
Two things bother me. He changed his mind because he saw the photos of the dead children. There have been countless dead children for years and he even said he would not accept refugees. What I’m concerned about is that if he gets moved by an image and reverses himself on something, it seems like it’s a Foreign Policy by reaction and not planning.
Second, I don’t know why he didn’t take out the runways. In any war movie, they always take out the bridge.
4. I saw your presentation on Casino Gambling. You do realize your boy Ed Rendell sold you and us a bill of goods right?
Ed was enthusiastic and promised tax relief. He’ll tell you to this day that the promise was kept. For low income seniors but not you or me.
I love Ed, but yeah he oversold this one a bit.
5. I loved Valerie Tysanner and thought that out of all the co hosts at Pa Live (excepting Dave, because you guys worked together for years) she interacted with you the best. Why can’t we keep talent like that in this market?
Valerie’s decision was a personal one concerning her fiancé’s new job prospects. But as soon as I saw her and then had a chance to appear with her, I knew she was not long for this market. NEPA is a TV market where some people stop and then move on to more exposure via bigger stations and cities. Monica Madeja is a prime example as was the infamous Bill O’Reilly. I’m sure Candice Kelly could have gone further if she wanted to.
The other side of the market coin here is that people carve out lives for themselves here. Dave Bohman came from a larger area and was a News Director. He is one of the finest Investigative Reporters WNEP has. Andy Mehalshick has had other offers I’m sure through the years but chose to stay. Broadcasting, especially news is fluid. If you enjoy a particular reporter or on air host, enjoy them while you can.
6. Do you think the Democrats in the Senate picked the wrong fight with the nomination of Judge Gorsuch?
No I think they showed Mitch McConnell for the craven manipulator and petty man that he is. Essentially it was done as a reminder that the REPUBLICAN party stole a Supreme Court seat just like they helped steal the election of 2000. I just hope when the Democrats get the Senate back, they crush these unprincipled and unpatriotic REPUBLICAN leaders that tell you how much they love America but screw it at every turn.
In any other lifetime, I’d think Gorsuch would be a suitable pick. But I have been driven into the partisan corner by the REPUBLICAN party of this era.
7. You had a lot of comments on your defense of Steve Corbett. How many did you edit and how many did you not publish?
I had to edit about 4 which pissed people off and hurt their feelings. I had to delete 11 because they were ignorant, scatological and hateful in nature to both me and Corbett.
Just another day at work here on the blog.
8. Here’s what I don’t understand. The Republicans accuse “the left” of being anti citizen yet it seems the right does everything they can do screw the people in the middle class. Why?
They have perfected the method of lying. They’ll lie about everything and everybody. They’ll lie about things big and small. Then when you call them on it, they lie again saying you are lying.
They refuse to answer questions and then when they are exposed, they get mean.
This all started with the Swift boating of John Kerry in 2004. It worked because people are too freaking dumb to understand their need to vote for their own interests.
The irony here is they picked the biggest liar of all in President Trump and he has emboldened and enabled them.
9. Alexis P. Suter. Who is she and where did she come from?
Alexis P. Suter is a soul and blues singer and songwriter, best known for her nomination in the 'Koko Taylor Award' category at the 33rd Blues Music Awards in 2015. She and her backing band have released six albums to date. Her band has played here about three times at The Kirby and at Richard Briggs’ farm. Her version of “Let It Be” is incredible. She has been nominated for Best Contemporary Blues Female at the Blues Music Awards this year in Memphis.
Our late friend Mary Carrano was a big fan and this year Mrs. LuLac and I went to see Suter and toasted a drink in her honor at the concert.
10. I heard your buddy Tarone last Friday telling Kurt Shotko that the Left in this country is more totalitarian than anyone on the far right. Was he kidding or what?
Yeah that was last Friday after I got off Pa Live. I’m driving up Coal Street and my good buddy went down that rabbit hole that Duke from Dallas refers to. I just turned on the flash drive in the car.
11. There seems to be a lot of local elections going on. When will we hear about them on LuLac?
We’ll be ramping up our reports shortly. Meanwhile if you know a candidate needing exposure, send him my info or link.
12. When you were on WYLN TV with Tarone a few years back, what was that intro song on Friday they played on "Topic A"?
Oh that was “Friday On My Mind” by the Easybeats. You only beard a bit because the behind the scenes people were restricted by copyright issues. Here it is:
13. I’m watching “Scandal” and I think it’s jumping the shark. Yes or no?
Yeah they really are running out of story lines. And the ones that get compelling are interrupted by flashbacks and nonsense that few fans remember.
They should just end it as soon as possible.