Sunday, April 16, 2017

The LuLac Edition #3471, April 16th, 2017

MAYBE I’M AMAZED

Our "Maybe I'm Amazed" logo.

(EASTER EDITION)

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……. that the tallest chocolate Easter egg ever was made in Italy in 2011. At 10.39 meters in height and 7,200 kg in weight, it was taller than a giraffe and heavier than an elephant! And unlike the giraffe, it didn’t give birth on You Tube or Cable News outlets.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……the Easter Bunny tradition made its way to the US in the 18th century. It is believed to have originated in Europe where it was actually the Easter Hare. Other Easter traditions include wearing Easter bonnets, making Easter baskets and having Easter egg hunts.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that despite the best efforts of organizers of Easter Egg Hunts, where they set limits on how many eggs a child could get, there is always some lamebrain parent or kid who will break the rules.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that Jelly Beans were the product of a war effort to help sweet tooth of Civil War soldiers. The beans were first made in America by Boston candy maker William Schrafft, who ran advertisements urging people to send jellybeans to soldiers fighting in the Civil War.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……but not so much that the date of Passover is variable as it is dependent on the phases of the moon, and thus Easter is a movable feast. This year the two overlap each other. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….. The name Easter owes its origin from Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess who symbolizes hare and egg.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that back in the day pretzels were associated with Easter because the twists of the pretzel were thought to resemble arms crossing in prayer. Plus let us never forget the tradition of hot cross buns.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….. that in medieval times, a festival of ‘egg-throwing’ was held in church. The priest would throw a hard-boiled egg to one of the choir boys, and then tossed from one choir boy to the next. When the clock struck 12, whoever held the egg, was the winner and got to keep the egg. In some of the churches I’ve been in most people wouldn’t notice because they would be too busy yacking to their neighbors instead of concentrating on the service.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that in Hazleton an Easter Egg Hunt was held in a cemetery. There are parks, fire halls, they had to have it there?
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….. Americans buy more than 700 million marshmallow peeps during the Easter holiday, which makes Peeps the most popular non-chocolate Easter candy.
I used to buy them and my “go to” was to open them up and let them harden. But it’s been a few years since I had them. As a matter of fact the last Easter I had peeps was 2013 when I was having my Myasthenia Gravis crisis and could not chew or eat. They went down smooth.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….. Half of the states in the United States have banned the practice of dyeing chicks for Easter. However, Florida recently overturned the 45-year-old law of preventing the dyeing of animals. Florida, yeah that’s a shocker!
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that for all of the faults we all have, a majority of us realize that today is the celebration of the resurrection of Christ three days after his death. It is the oldest Christian holiday and the most important day of the church year. 
The church service I went to last night at my parish was inspiring and well done. 
Easter blessings to all.
(Source: MSN.com, LuLac) 

5 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, by reading your list, it is obvious you would have been one to cynically deny Christ in his time.
Can't you even just enjoy the celebration of the resurrection without being such a curmudgeon?
Your wife really needs to kick your miserable ass to the curb and spend her golden years with someone a bit more pleasant.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Well, by reading your list, it is obvious you would have been one to cynically deny Christ in his time.

IN RESPONSE

Wow!
Deny Christ? Where did I deny Christ? I went to a service last night that was uplifting and inspiring.
My Catholic faith is extremely important to me. I just don't sit on my ass at home, not participate and then be a couch Catholic sitting on the sidelines.
While I welcome your post, your message is so far off base it is astounding.
Where in the post was I curmudgeon?
Deny Christ?
Not happening.
BTW, I am extremely pleasant to and around Mrs. LuLac and if she hasn't kicked me to the curb yet.......that won't be happening either.
See like us, our faith is intertwined in our lives.
And there's no denying that.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Well, by reading your list, it is obvious you would have been one to cynically deny Christ in his time.

IN RESPONSE

LuLac reaches an audience of more than Christians. That list was secular in nature because this is a political site and we take separation of chuck and state seriously.
I was even hesitating doing it because I thought it might be misconstrued.
I guess I violated rule number 1 in writing, go with your gut.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Chuck. You don't have to separate me from state. Happy Easter!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Stephen Albert said...

Per "Anonymous", "... is obvious you would have been one to cynically deny Christ in his time."

I'll note that my good Catholic high school education included learning about the Gospels, including Matthew, Chapter 7, verses 1 to 3.

As always, I enjoy your posting, especially those inspired by McCartney songs.

- Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home