Monday, September 21, 2009

The LuLac Edition #949, Sept. 21st, 2009




PHOTO INDEX: BLOG EDITOR AND PHILLIES PITCHER ART MAHAFFEY 1984, WALTER GRIFFITH CARD AND WIL TOOLE SIGN. GRIFFITH IS THE GOP CANDIDATE FOR LUZERNE COUNTY CONTROLLER WHILE TOOLE IS LAUNCHING AN INDEPENDENT EFFORT.

SIGNAGE

Mrs. LuLac and I went around the Valley yesterday because of the beautiocity of the fall weather. Bowing to her wishes that we rid ourselves of the music of the late 50s and early 60s, I popped in some music of the 80s and we drove through the little towns of LuLac land. On the way we spotted Amesbury for Judge signs along with the Tina Polachek Gartley signs. Walter Griffith for Controller signs adorned most of Luzerne County, Walter going with the blue and white persuasion this time. Independent Controller candidate Wil Toole’s signs also dotted the landscape. His are black and yellow and Mrs. LuLac pointed out that those colors are known to be the most visually noticeable. Toole’s signs also have his name inside what appears to be an oval. Mrs. LuLac saw a football shape in Toole’s signs but she might have got that from my stressing over the Packers as we had the dulcet tones of Merrill Reese on doing the Eagles play by play. The power of suggestion is great when you live with me, at least I’m told. Dottie Stankovic signs also were up in strategic areas. Do signs work? Well it gets your name out there, indicates that you’re serious about your intentions, gives a barometer of your campaign organization and volunteer depth as well as the signaling to those uninterested or uninformed that another election is bearing down on them.

45 YEARS AGO: THE COLLAPSE

Sept. 21rst: ’64 PHILLIES

On this day the Phillies were 6 and ½ games ahead in the National League. Art Mahaffey pitched and lasted 6 innings. The turning point in that September 21 game was when Chico Ruiz otherwise known as “bench me or trade me”(?) stole home, with Robinson at bat, in the bottom of the 6th inning. The game ended with a Reds victory – 1-0. Mahaffey lost the game making his record 12-9. This performance , giving up only 6 hits with one run would be considered a million dollar performance by most managers today. Not so in 1964. This began the Phillies 10 game slide. 21 – The Phillies were about to go on a ten game losing streak, and the Cincinatti Reds was going to win nine in a row.



4 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the status of Yonk for jury comish?

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the Lac. I have been watching campaign signs for years.
Of course my efforts are non scientific, but I have been able to correctly call several races based on what you and Mrs LuLac did yesterday. Its not just number of signs although thats important, but also placement. Whos on Whos turf? Bet you folks could hazard a couple guesses based on what you saw. In the end I watch to see if the bastards clean em up when its all over!

LacLander

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger PoorRichard said...

Just a note, from what I experienced today, I may not have to worry about "cleaning up" my signs. Clean up has already begun. I replaced three signs today that were in place on Saturday evening. They say that signs don't vote but they sure must annoy some people!

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed the (Wii) TOOLE signs all around and I have to say it appears to me that the word Wil looks like the popular game name Wii... maybe that will help WIL with the younger generations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home