Saturday, May 22, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1189, May 22nd, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

This week I ran into someone on Election day that called me on my frequent mantra that “taxes are the dues we pay for living in a civilized society.
Q: You don’t agree with that?
A: To an extent. Mind you I don’t mind paying taxes but why is government always raising the taxes.
Q: Things cost more money these days.
A: True. But my cost of living has to go up in things I buy. There will be higher costs but I don’t see any cutting going on. You lost a job right?
Q: Yes because they say of budget cuts.
A: Right but you never hear of the Courthouse cutting staff or the school district.
Q: I can’t argue the point. I think they should blow up the entire process under the dome and have everybody re-apply.
A: I like that idea. Look, I’m not a tax crazy. I benefited from programs but something has to give somewhere, sometime. It’s getting harder to live in the city. (Wilkes Barre).
Q: Did you hear the latest, the Wilkes Barre Area School Board is going to raise property taxes again?
A: Any words of layoffs? Cutting of the budget?
Q: No.
A: See this is what I mean. Sallie Mae just laid off 100 workers. They could not afford them. You mean to tell me that school district workers are more essential, that people couldn’t take up the slack?
Q: I can’t disagree.
A: Well if I’m getting nickeled and dimed here, I may not be as civil any more.
Q: You wouldn’t start a protest would you?
A: Nope, I’d go you one better, leave this stinking city like hundreds of others did. I might have to burn my own garbage but no one will care.
Q: They’ll care when they miss your money.
A: No they won’t, they’ll just raise your taxes more. We’ll see then how civil you’ll be.



2 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger McGruff said...

Just last year Kanjorski was running around announcing 2,000 jobs coming from overseas by Sallie Mae. By the end of the year their workers were circulating petitions to save 1,000 jobs and just this month they announced the layoff of 100 jobs. Maybe its Kanjorski's job that ought to be cut.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anybody that ever ran a business knows you can't raise taxes and create jobs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home