Saturday, September 04, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1288, Sept. 4h, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

Labor Day weekend is upon us and I had a chance to strike up a conversation with a person who recently gained employment this summer.
Q: How long were you out of work?

A: 23 months.
Q: Nearly two years.
A: Yeah.
Q: How did you get this job?
A: I kept on pestering them. I applied about four times.
Q: What was the worst thing you found when you were looking for a job?
A: The sheer dismissive attitude employers had. No one wanted to give you a break. I had very rude people in interviews.
Q: Me too.
A: Really?
Q: Yeah, the worst was Cigna Health Care. They showed no respect at all for people looking for work.
A: I never went there but I made the rounds of the job fairs.
Q: How did that work out?
A: Okay but they felt like cattle calls. And some of the jobs were not full time and had no benefits.
Q: That’s the game they play now. Come into the area, offer jobs, pay little or no benefits and get tax breaks.
A: You are correct.
Q: So, this new job, any complaints?
A: Are you kidding, I’m putting my head down and doing what they tell me. Learning as much as I can.
Q: Do you find that more people are fearful about losing their jobs?
A: Some. There might be false bravado by some but I’m thinking you’d be crazy to try to tempt fate.
Q: How did you lose your last job?
A: Laid off.
Q: Me too.
A: Yeah, was there for 13 years.
Q: Do you think the economy is turning around?
A: Not as fast as people think but yeah, I think so.
Q: You’re a Republican, the Obama Stimulus plan, what do you think?
A: I can’t knock it because I got my Cobra health care for a reduced price and had my benefits extended. I mean at least I could live.
Q: What did you think of people who said you were taking “funemployment”?
A: Those people are ***holes. It was tough. We had a lot of hamburger helper meals at dinner.
Q: How did the kids handle it?
A: Never said much but I think they started to wonder “what’s wrong with dad”. Never said it but I’m sure they were thinking about it. Hell, I was constantly.
Q: You working Labor Day?
A: Yes.
Q: Me too. Are you complaining about it?
A: Are you? (Laughing)
Q: **** No!
A: Me too.
Q: Any goals in this new job?
A: To stay out of meetings.
Q: Right. Especially if you’re the subject matter.
A: Yes. Hey, Happy Labor Day!
Q: Back at ya.

5 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Stephen Albert said...

Great interview.

The CIGNA thing is kind of disconcerting, as they should know better.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really want to get steamed..read about some of the subsidies that are given to companies like Bass Pro and Cabelas to put a store in a community with $10 an hour jobs. We are told that we are in a global economy,yet what does our government do to make us more competitive in this environment, cap & trade? Deficit spending? Let's have some real solutions...starting in November!

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post has very interesting matter. It’s providing very nice information. It is showing great thinking power. Since a long time I was looking for such post. All aspects of this post are perfect. It’s nice experience to read it. All matter of this post is unique. I got any information and some important tips after reading it. I would like to visit again. It’s really fine. In future, such kind of posts should go on.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cigna guaranteed 1200 jobs! They have never provided that many. They
brought people from Columbus Ohio for the supervisory and management positions. They dont own the building and when their tax break is used up, they are gone! I remember Don Sherwood cutting the ribbon on that one.
Good timely interview. Happy Labor Day (celebrated this year as Glad To Have A Job Day!).

NEPA Worker

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All politics is about pimps, prostitutes and their johns.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/09/major-democratic-donors-shift-donations/

and it is all about pleasing someone..

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/41777.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home