Saturday, October 30, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1354, Oct. 30th, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

I talked to a person just a few years older than I about the night fifty years ago that John Kennedy came up the highway.
Q: Remember the night?

A: Oh my Goodness. It was incredible. One of the supermarkets closed at about 4pm in Pittston. He was late though but oh was it worth the wait.
Q: You try to explain to people what it was like, do we do it justice?
A: You can’t. It was a different time. Don’t forget we were only 16 years removed from the end of World War II and JFK was a vet. My dad was so proud that both Kennedy and Nixon were Navy men.
Q: Were we you on the route?
A: I was on a bike.
Q: Really?
A: Yeah I rode ahead and stopped right at the Triangle in Pittston. I saw him in Wilkes Barre then peddled like a madman through Plains. I had to ditch the bike right around the triangle where that Sunoco is in Pittston. And I stood there but thought I could get a better vantage point a few blocks up.
Q: Your reaction when you saw him?
A: It was bedlam. At first I couldn’t see much because the crowd was surging. I mean I felt myself (and I was a lanky kid) get lifted. It was an odd feeling.
Q: Obviously the draw was….
A: Oh everything. Catholic, Irish, movie star good looks. And he wasn’t Ike. I mean he was born in this century you know?
Q: I know. What do you remember the most after the event?
A: It was strange. It was pure joy. Pittston had its share of celebrities in town. Oral Roberts, Edie Adams, people like that making appearances. But this was special. I think every son of an immigrant felt a connection, every Catholic felt a connection, every vet.
Q: And then in just a few moments it was over, just like in a few years, everything for him was over.
A: Yeah. But let’s not talk about that today. Let me remember that glorious night.
Q: You’re right. It was a good night pal. We were in separate areas but it was a good night.
A: Indeed it was.



9 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

Kennedy drove by the Triangle Diner near the forks of the road (where the A Plus is now located)??? I was under the impression that his motorcade came up Wyoming Avenue and crossed the Water ST. bridge turning left on Main St. between the two banks.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Kennedy drove by the Triangle Diner near the forks of the road (where the A Plus is now located)??? I was under the impression that his motorcade came up Wyoming Avenue and crossed the Water ST. bridge turning left on Main St. between the two banks.
I THINK YOU ARE CORRECT. I'LL HAVE TO DOUBLE CHECK. MY FRIEND WAS VERY, VERY EMOTIONAL AND I WASN'T GOING TO CALL HIM ON IT. I SHOULD HAVE BUT WHEN SOMEONE GETS GOING WITH THE FLOW, YOU'RE TEMPTED NOT TO STOP THEM. I REMEMBER PEOPLE SAYING HE TOOK ROUTE 11 ALL THE WAY TO SCRANTON WHICH WOULD HAVE PUT HIM ON WYOMING AVENUE AND THEN THROUGH PITTSTON.

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there in Pittston and I remember him coming up by Borr and Caseys. My God what an event. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about that night.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Geeezzze!

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who is john Kennedy. was he on American idol?

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was an infielder for the Washington Senators in the mid 60s.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Kennedy was the QB for the Scranton Eagles. Jessh

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He was an infielder for the Washington Senators in the mid 60s."
And the Seattle Pilots in 1969. Batter and threw right.

 
At 3:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is the same event, I was a student at St John's and a member of the football team. We were on our way viz bus to the Exeter stadium where we layed our home games and sat in traffic waiting like a lot of others. We were late getting to the game and started with a delay of game penalty.
Your Lunch Buddy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home