Wednesday, March 02, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1495, March 2nd, 2011

PHOTO INDEX: "WRITE ON WEDNESDAY" LOGO.

WRITE ON WEDNESDAY

HOWARD FEDRICK

I first met Howard Fedrick in early 1975 when Luzerne County was planning its part of America's Bicentennial celebration. He was a wealth of knowledge and facts. His personality was commanding. Howard and I came across each other at various events through the years because we were smart enough to marry up. (We both married librarians). Through the years I'd see him at his flower shop or at the Fine Arts Fiesta commandeering stage acts or vendors to get in their proper places and keep the event moving. Even though he loved the floral business and community activism, his true love was education. And today we feature a note about his impact on his students at King's College.
Each of us probably is familiar with at least one movie or book about a lucky student who, in the course of his or her academic career, encounters a teacher who has a profound impact upon his or her life.
I am one of the lucky ones. I have had the honor and privilege of being a student of the late Howard Benjamin Fedrick, professor of history and American studies at King’s College, who passed away unexpectedly this month.
I believe it fitting that the community in which Mr. Fedrick lived and served should know exactly what kind of man, teacher and friend he was to those who were lucky enough to learn under his tutelage and to enjoy the boundless humor, vast intelligence, unwavering loyalty and encouragement, and sunny optimism that characterized his friendship.
I met Mr. Fedrick after I had arrived at King’s as a history and government major. He graciously took me under his wing and began guiding my study of history, my writing and my professional development.
Mr. Fedrick always remained true to his calling as an educator, as an individual who was born to pass on information, to excite the minds and arouse the passions of his students, to push them to explore the boundaries of their abilities and to propel them to achieve greatness and virtuosity in their public and personal lives. In doing so, Mr. Fedrick served as a model of a life well-lived. My friend and teacher, thank you for everything. You will be sorely missed but never forgotten; for we, your friends, are your living memorials, because in so many vital ways you have helped to make us who we are.
Joseph A. Scarcella II is a student at King’s College and is a member of the graduating Class of 2011.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home