Monday, April 25, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1565, April 25th, 2011

PHOTO INDEX: CONGRESSMAN LOU BARLETTA.

BARLETTA'S DELICATE BALANCE

Lou Barletta is the recipient of a type of dual envy. First off, he is a Congressman. It was a lifelong political goal that he pursued with zeal and persistence. As part of a new GOP majority in the House, Barletta has to tow the party line for his new leadership. Barletta could afford to be a tad moderate nationally since his candidacy was not solely based on the influence of the Tea Party. That said, he is replacing long time Democrats that unabashedly brought money into this district. Because the population of seniors is second only to Florida, Barletta has to be tread carefully on issues like Medicare. Recently the Congressman was presenting a slide show about the Republican plan for Medicare. Never mind that it will not adversely effect people over 55, the perception was that he, as a new representative was tinkering with something dear to the hearts of his core constituents. Last week the Times Leader reported a conversation he had with a senior named Linda Christian Rose, "You seem to think that because I’m not affected, I won’t care if my niece, my grandson, my child is affected. I do care," she said. "You said nothing in the campaign about ’I’m going to change Medicare.’ Now you voted for a plan that will destroy Medicare." "I won’t destroy Medicare," Barletta replied. "Medicare is going to be destroyed by itself." Christman Rose talked over the congressman, telling him to pay for Medicare by taxing the wealthy. The town meeting, which Barletta so championed during his 2010 campaign might be a potential mind field for him. Baletta is in the unenviable position of balancing the wishes of his district with what his national party is selling. There will be some days when people will welcome his message and other days when they won't, witness this incident. The honeymoon has ended for Barletta and the eggshells are accumulating. To garner another term, he has to step lightly and gingerly.

PLYMOUTH ACTION COMMITTEE

The Plymouth Action Committee has fired up the video waves and have taken it to the streets. Here’s their latest video effort.


BORTHWICK RALLY

Rally to Support Tom Borthwick for Scranton School Board!
Sunday, May 1 at 4:00pm
Location: Ballina Pub and Eatery.


8 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lou Barletta should call Jim Nelligan and ask how he handled being a one term COngressman. Let's think back to the Congressional campaign. Barletta insisted that his origianl plan to dismantle Medicare was a hoax and he never supported that idea. Then, the first thing he did was vote to kill Medicare stsating the illusion that people under 55 will have plenty of time to make arrangements to handle their own health care. Yeah, right! Working class or I should say unemployed working class can't even save enough to relax during their retirement years and now, the hope of those under 55 is that WalMart will continue to employ seniors to be greeters at their stores. Retirement now means leaving your regular job and going to work at WalMart to put food on your table. At ny age, I hate to see time flies but to be honest, all I wait for now is the chance to vote agaisnt Lou Barletta.

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

Barletta's toast, pure and simple. He is aligned with his party and in order to win another term he would have to break with them. He is in the same situation that his predecessor from the early 80's Jim Nelligan was in. Nelligan made a statement at one time that Social Security would have to be cut, we're living in different time now, we have to tighten our belts. He lost the election to Frank Harrison on that issue and it would be a generation until the GOP held the seat again.
What I really would like is for mr. Barletta to tell us what is going to happen when all the baby boomers get their Medicare voucher and run out of money when they are in the throes of a serious illness. Where do they go Lou??? And if their family can't afford to help them who????
Talk about death panels.

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is it communist like Linda Christian Rose and Bruce Simpson desire for people to work for the benefit of others, instead of working for the benefit of themselves. I say gut medicare, medicaid and social security. It is time for America to re-embrace its founding principles. That of the rugged individual taking care of themselves and their own families. I have had it with being over taxed to take care of those who will not provide for themselves.
Simpson and Rose desire the Collective States of Amerika. I want the United States of America.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3:14 I wish you well in your quest for finding America but I wonder if you grow your own food, shoe your own horse and tend to your own medical needs? I think you're a phony looking to bash ac ouple of people your jelous of. Thanks for putting me onto Simpson, I wasn't sure if I was going to vote for him but now I hae no doubt. Thank you.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!! A communist?? OMG, you are off your meds again, arn'tcha? I'll be at the Blogger fest. Come up to me and call me that to my face if you have the balls.

Lou Barletta must go at the end of THIS term if I have to run against him.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anon 3:14 PM said...

I do take care of myself. I don't desire no do I need the government to take care of me. I know this isn't in line with the NEPA give me a hand out mentality. If you desire others to take care of you, you are weak. If you rely on others to take care of you; you are weak. If you expect others to work for your benefit you are a collectivist.

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of "you are", I have use all my strength to refrain from completing the statement, You are ........., yes, you certainly are. And one more thing, I guarantee you will be the first one in line to sign up for Medicare and Social Security. As an alternative, you can lead by example and refuse Medicare and call a press conference so that others can witness what a great American you are ........ but in the mean time, I will take out my crayons and simply color you "phony!"

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait until the attorneys fees in the big lawsuit come due.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home