Friday, July 06, 2012

The LuLac Edition #2116, July 6th, 2012

“Maybe I’m Amazed” logo. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that people who went to the fireworks at Kirby Park on Wednesday night loutishly pulled onto the grounds on the River Common. County officials are peeved and they should be. The grounds are their responsibility. You would think that the city of Wilkes Barre would have had someone stationed there to deter the parkers who cruised right in from Union Street. Wilkes Barre meter maids are happy to ticket just about anyone including commuter college students but didn’t touch these people. The County has a myriad of places to park but as usual people took the path of least resistance. And with the huge number of slobs who live in this area, I bet there was a lot of garbage to clean up on Thursday morning. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that people in Northeastern Pennsylvania never heard of the word “saw”. Every person I saw (get it) on TV this week as an eyewitness said, “I seen them pulling the body” or “I seen him just last night”. The word saw used in the context, “I saw them pulling the body” or “I saw him just last night is a verb. The tool, “saw” (the tool that cuts wood) is a noun which is a thing. I’m not the king of grammar but could at least one TV reporter find someone who can speak English. And they bitch about the illegals! Jesus. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……at the sheer hatred so many people in our area have for the Vice President. He was a home town boy who made good but the vitriol I heard on talk radio was obscene with one dunderhead on WILK questioning Biden’s behavior after his wife and kids died in a 1973 auto accident. But we are the Valley with the heart, right? 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that Wilkes Barre Mayor Tom Leighton can be interviewed by a reporter and play with a knife he cuts fruit with. If Tom McGroarty did that, someone would put him before a psych evaluation. I like the Mayor personally, but is he just trying to antagonize people for sport? Show them your sunny side sir. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that there are serious people in the media who are comparing Nathan’s Hot Dog eating champ Joey Chestnut’s 6 titles at Coney Island to Michael Jordan’s 6 NBA titles. I love a Nathan’s dog most likely more than the next guy but c’mon. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that the sport of dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties involved are blood donors. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that the Washington Nationals have 3 players starting on the All Star Team. And equally amazing, my Indians are in second in their division and my Pirates are leading their division by more than a game!!! 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that road maps are becoming a thing of the past with the popularity of GPS systems. It all started with MapQuest and has now all but eliminated the need for a map. They were a real bitch to fold too. Only show offs used to fold them the correct way. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that after a world class smack down for a Senate seat in Connecticut Linda McMahon is going to try again. This time she is going after Democrat Richard Blumenthal. The seat was held by that world class wiener/whiner and supporter of John McCain in 2008 Senator Joe Lieberman. Yeah he was a great Democrat! Best of luck to the lady. It would be sweet justice to see her take over for the waffle king of New England. See, I bet you’re amazed I don’t like all Democrats!

11 Comments:

At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this segment. It really demonstrates a lot of funny happenings. And the "I seen" thing is really big in this area, heyna or no?????

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous The Unassuming Roving Reporter said...

Valley with a Heart is nothing but a PR slogan (began after the 72 flood [?]).
Travel anywhere outside of SWB and you will find "real" people with "big" hearts who will go out of their way to assist you.
Even in NYC I have encountered very nice people who have been happy to provide directions to a certain venue.
People here in SWB are, as the Professor would say "ingrates" who only care about themselves and damn everyone else. You talk/write a lot about our local churches, Dave. Take a walk sometime around some of our local graveyards. There is a section of St. John's in Pittston full of beer cans and discarded garbage bags, cigarettes (at least the last time I was there). Parts of the Pittston Cemetery also display such carnage.
Wouldn't it be nice if some of the so-called holier than thoust among us would chip in and clean it up? I have done my best, but I am only one person.
Don't even ask about the amount of times I have seen idiots fail to hold doors for other people upon entering a building.
As Dennis Miller would say, I don't want to go on a rant, but finally all I suggest again is to take a trip out of town. You will find real people with real hearts. Not self absorbed white trash of which the majority resides here.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does annoy me that we find fault with the gramer of the area, especially when local oddities in other parts of the country are thought to be cute and simply the way people talk. Boston's famous drop of the letter "r" and the south "ya all" and how many versions there are of "ya all". I've heard, all ya all and the shortened yal and other such expressions. As a good ol boy Yonk, you need to embrace our ability to be understood while not using proper gramer. Heyna ya all?

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

RE: Biden hatred:

Maybe the hatred of VP Biden is a bit over-rated. As for these local radio talk shows, most of the people who call in are conservatives. As a liberal, I have tried to listen but I find it distasteful. Especially Sue Henry and the smart aleck attitude in her tone of voice when she blatantly lies about the facts. Or, more seriously, allows a caller to. Problem with talk radio is that the hosts usually don't correct the callers on outrageous statements (like him or not--Corbett does correct people). BUt silliness is silliness. I could care less about what FOX news has to say. Last I heard Bill O"REilly is the network's highest rated prime time program and it gets whacked in the ratings by Sponge Bob on the cartoon network.
Much ado about nothing.
Nobody really listens except the converted.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Nobody really listens except the converted.
MAN DOES THAT STATEMENT SUM IT ALL UP!!!! THAT'S WHY YOU ARE THE POPE!!!

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A name change will solve all the AAA Baseball Team problems, right!
That said I have a great and accurate idea, The NEPA CORRUPTORS!


I like it.

Pete

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone else think that the Professor is a little short of his marbles?
Really, like the way he talks about us as if we really are in a classroom? Or our parents paying our tuition??
Maybe the dude is jsut plain crazy.
Just asking.

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3:28 PM
I don't think the Professor has lost his marbles. I think he is just trying to be another Rush Linbaugh wannabe. A person just trying to get a rise out of others. There is just one difference, Limbaugh makes millions. Since we are on the issue of the Professor I wonder why he responded to a post yesterday by pointing out a spelling error instead of replying to the persons comments? Has the Professor ever responded to a direct question asked of him with something other than an off topic insult? I guess we better not hold our breath waiting for him to answer.

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry folks but when it comes to the professor, I don't understand how anyone could possibly read his entire rants. Pope, I can't believe you actually got a negative comment about Sue Henry posted. If Yonk will allow another, I agree 100%. I have heard her time and again twist the truth and make outrageous political comments. Sue is one of these people who don't know she is one of the wee folk and not one of the privledged she so warmly protects.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
I have heard her time and again twist the truth and make outrageous political comments. Sue is one of these people who don't know she is one of the wee folk and not one of the privledged she so warmly protects.
OKAY, YOU HAVE TO KNOW THAT MY FRIEND SUE HAS A POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY THAT IS 100% OPPOSED TO MINE ON A NATIONAL BASIS. BUT ON LOCAL ISSUES, SHE IS SPOT ON. ESPECIALLY LOCAL SOCIAL ISSUES. I TAKE EXCEPTION TO HER CLASSIFICATION AS ONE OF THE WEE FOLKS, SHE IS A SHAPER OF OPINION AND REALLY CONTRIBUTES A GREAT DEAL TO THE DEBATE NO MATTER HOW YOU DISAGREE WITH HER. SHE DID IT TODAY TWICE. IN 15 MINUTES. AND SHE DOES CALL PEOPLE OUT. SO KEEP LISTENING, SHE IS ONE COOL TALK SHOW HOST.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
The Unassuming Roving Reporter said...
Valley with a Heart is nothing but a PR slogan (began after the 72 flood [?]).
THE VALLEY WITH THE HEART TERM WAS COINED BY RADIO PIONEER LITTLE BILL PHILIPS IN THE 1940. PHILIPS WOULD ROUTINELY RAISE MONEY FOR PEOPLE IN NEED. IT WAS THEN REVIVED AFTER THE FLOOD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home