Thursday, September 25, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2738, September 25th, 2014

THE PEANUT GALLERY, COUPONS AND MAYOR LEIGHTON


The Mayor and I back at the Rooftop Party for the Library few years ago. If we had a coupon, we'd have used it. So there!!! (Photo: LuLac archives)
Facebook is a pretty useful tool that I use personally to get in touch with old friends and find out information for my job, my books as well as LuLac. I think photos of food are ridiculous and the crazy stuff the right wingers put up there make me laugh because of their infantile stupidity. Nothing pretty much offends me or gives me a problem.
But last week someone posted on Face book the observation that Mayor Tom Leighton walked into a Dunkin’ Donuts, ordered a coffee and muffin using an AARP card and a coupon. Then the comments were made by the hallelujah choir opining on how Leighton should watch the city of Wilkes Barre’s money as well as he watches his own.
Allow me a few thoughts.
First, if you are taking Mayor Leighton’s administration to task for his budgeting skills, look at the mess Hazleton and Scranton is in! It is so easy for these people who have never mounted a credible challenge to say things are not good financially in Wilkes Barre. You win elections by getting registrations committed to beating the incumbent. Hasn’t been done yet.
The second thing is that even as Mayor, can’t this guy get a break? Jesus, thank God he didn’t spill the coffee on himself and then you’d see the rumors flying. I’m sure not many people give a rat’s ass about how the Mayor pays for his Dunkin’ fix.
Except me.
Thanks to Mrs. LuLac, I have an app for Dunkin’ on my phone. I get free discount deals! I even use coupons in combination with them. I love getting that deal. I also use coupons from the company I work at. I also clip coupons because even though we aren’t starving, it's nice to get a deal.
I’m not as well known or important in my position as Mayor Leighton but I’d love to shout out in Dunkin’ when I get a deal that I did. But no one will care.
I have disagreed with the Mayor on a few things. But as 2015 draws closer, things like this silly comment about a guy grabbing a coffee will drive more people into this guy’s camp if he chooses to run.
Legitimate criticism is fair and my heavens important to a democracy. But childish comments on social media just say more about the poster and less about the frugal guy who is just trying to live his life and grab a cup of Joe.


LOL

I laughed out loud and then shook my head when I saw in the newspaper that County Manager Bob Lawton and the County Council were encouraging the public to make donations for saving or improving Moon Lake park. The park has fallen on hard times and the brain trust on Council has hatched a plan to accept donations. Who the hell is going to be in charge of that? Hey, let’s put a show on in the barn and have a hoagie sale to boot!!!
The thing that irks me is that a former City Administrator in the County sent the Council a plethora of ideas. At press time he has not received an answer. I even put the letter he sent to them on LuLac. Nothing.
http://lulacpoliticaletter.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-lulac-edition-2732-september-17th.html
I was strong for the charter but am amazed at how many caring citizens send legitimate ideas and get no response. I finally figured it out it was because it wasn’t the Council’s idea!
Let’s nix the idea of getting corporate sponsorship and have Harry Haas, Jim Bobeck and few of the others out there doing a coin drop some weekend. Yeah, I’ll stop!!!! 
EDITOR'S NOTE: I was informed that Harry Haas and Edd Brominski did acknowledge receipt of the ideas sent to all of our council. I did not have that information at the time of publication. 



MEDIA MATTERS


WAS THERE A GOVERNOR’S DEBATE MONDAY NIGHT???

First section of Tuesday's Times Leader.
I’m asking the question because on Tuesday morning I thought I was in a dream state. Having worked my regular job, attending Matt Cartwright’s event, then watching the Corbett/Wolf debate and then posting my thoughts on it on Monday, I was kind of groggy Tuesday morning when I arrived back at work. I picked up The Times Leader and eagerly wanted to see their take on the Corbett/Wolf debate. I went through the first section and saw nothing.
At lunch I looked at the paper again thinking I was missing something. Nothing.
Now the Times Leader has a cadre full of good local reporters who have broken wonderful stories that made this community better. The Editorial board is full of smart people. BUT the paper is then edited in Ohio. That’s what happens when you outsource.
Okay guys, a primer….this guy is your Governor. He had no debate Monday night.


Ohio Governor John Kasich. (Photo: CNN.com)
Governor Tom Corbett. (Photo: AP)
This guy is our Governor. He had a debate Monday night. Here in Pennsylvania!
I’ll go slower next time if you need me to.


SUNDAY MAGAZINE


This Week on Sunday Magazine
Part 2 of Brian Hughes' interview with judicial activist Bruce Levine & Lou
Jasikoff from the Wilkes Barre Independent Gazette about the problems that exist with the family court system.
Brian speaks with Dr. Jessica Spencer and Caroline Gold about genetic testing.
And a disturbing increase in heroin abuse in Pennsylvania, featuring State
Senator John Wozniak from Cambria County.
Sunday Magazine, Sunday morning at 5am on NASH-FM, 93.7, 5:30am on 97BHT, 6am on 97.9X, and 6:25am on Magic 93.


ECTV


ECTV Live host David DeCosmo
airs several times each day on Comcast Ch19 in Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties. Former WYOU Weather forecaster Barry Finn will Co host the program


BOLD GOLD COMMUNITY FORUM

SUE HENRY’S SPECIAL EDITION

Tune in to Sue Henry's "Special Edition" this week as Sue recaps the week's news. Special Edition is heard Saturdays and Sunday on these Entercom stations, WILK FM Saturday at 2pm Sunday at 6 am on Froggy 101 Sunday at 7 am on The Sports Hub 102.3 Sunday at 7 am on K R Z 98.5 Sunday at noon on WILK FM 103.1.


BUDDY RUMCHEK

Want to hear some great parodies on the news? Tune in to WILK Radio at 6:40 and 8:40 AM on Mondays. As Ralph Cramden used to say, “It’s a laugh riot!”


KAREL ON THE STREET

Tune in Wednesdays on WILK Radio for Karel on the Street. Hear some of the funniest and heartwarming comments on the issues of the day on Webster and Nancy with Karel Zubris.


CORBETT’S SOMEBODY’S WATCHING ME

Every Wednesday at 5PM, Steve Corbett shines the light on a Public official with his “Somebody’s Watching Me” segment. Corbett picks an alleged public servant to eye ball and observe. Batten down the lawn furniture in the driveway and that e mail machine. There is nowhere to hide when “somebody’s Watching”. Wednesdays at 5 on WILK’s Corbett program.


Our 1974 logo.

1974

BART begins regular transbay service, love that subway system in San Francisco.....Bob Dylan records Blood on the Tracks.....President Ford announces conditional amnesty for US Vietnam War deserters US General Haig becomes NATO supreme commander in Europe.....Many say the position was a way to get Haig who reportedly negotiated Richard Nixon's pardon out of the Ford administration.....
The late NATO Commander, Secretary of State and Presidential candidate Al Haig. (Photo: Time).
Courageous (US) beats Southern Cross (Aust) in 23rd America's Cup….Hurricane Fifi strikes Honduras with 110 mph winds, 5,000 die…Hurricane Fifi hits coast of Honduras; about 5,000 die US Mariner 10 makes 2nd fly-by of Mercury…."Gypsy" opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 120 performances….BBC Ceefax begins 1st teletext service…..Al Kaline, Detroit Tiger, is 12th to get 3,000 hits……in Pennsylvania former Governor William Scranton becomes a defacto advisor to the new President Gerald Ford…….in Luzerne County Congressman Dan Flood gears up for the fall campaign by touring little towns in his district in a white convertible and forty years ago this week the number one song in LuLac land and America was "Rock Me Gently" by Andy Kim.

2 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved out of Wilkes-Barre several years ago... and that man is STILL the mayor? I thought people hated him? How in the world does he keep getting re-elected?

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
I moved out of Wilkes-Barre several years ago... and that man is STILL the mayor? I thought people hated him? How in the world does he keep getting re-elected?
LOOK AT HIS RECORD.
THERE ARE HATERS BUT HE PREVAILS BECAUSE THE HATERS CAN'T, WON'T OR DON'T ORGANIZE OR ARTICULATE HOW THEY CAN DO BETTER.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home