The LuLac Edition #3303, September 21st, 2016
1. If Donald Trump has been telling so many lies, why can’t Hillary Clinton have a more commanding lead?
He has the advantage in the sense that people view him as being more candid. A "speak his mind" kind of guy even if his statements are "out there". But Trump resonates with many because his bad boy style is what people want to be but can’t or won’t. To a certain segment of the people, (and this is her own fault that is eerily Nixonion) whatever she says is a lie. Her challenge is to fight for the job in the upcoming days.
2. Who do you favor in the MLB playoffs?
Have to go with my Tribe but hope the Cubs can do it. I don’t want to see a Cubs/Indians series though, way too aggravating.
3. That guy Otto Voit who is running for State Treasurer seems to be all over the place. Just who is running for State Treasurer on the Democratic side?
It’s former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Torsella. He was a U.S. Representative to the United Nations for Management and Reform (with the rank of ambassador) from 2011 to 2014. He previously served as President and CEO of the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia from 1997 though 2003 and again from 2006 through 2008 and as the Chairman of the Pennsylvania State Board of Education from 2008 through 2011. He is a graduate of Wyoming Seminary and to my knowledge has not done a lot of campaigning at least in this area. My feeling is he’s looking to have the Philadelphia counties, which are heavily Democratic pull him through.
4. Do you think Mike Pence will be an acceptable President once Trump gets bored or thrown out?
I used to because he knew Congress and was a Governor. But his inability to answer an easy question just give me doubts. Plus I’m appalled at his feelings that as far as gays go, “You can pray the gay away”.
5. House Dems, can they re-take the Congress?
No but they can eat into that margin of 30 seats they need and become a force. Don’t forget that most of what John Boehner and Paul Ryan got passed was because of the 180 Democrats working with the GOP.
6. Any thoughts on Tom Wolf not going to the 911 events because of the death of his father?
I’m surprised I got the question. He didn’t attend the 911 event but sent his Lt. Governor. That’s what he's there for. His father died, he needed to be with his family. As a sidebar, I thought it was pretty ridiculous that Brett Favre played the night his father died too.
7. Matt Cartwright on the Appropriations Committee. Thoughts?
He is well regarded in the House. Has been since day one. Has potential to be a leader someday if he wants it. Or beyond.
8. Did you hear the one about how President Obama might be named to the Supreme Court if Hillary gets elected?
Personally I’d love it but the President has issues getting his own guy on the Court let alone himself.
9. Any thoughts on the final passage of the LGBT legislation in Wilkes Barre?
I think it was about time. Really glad that Tony Brooks, Beth Gilbert and the other Council members got this through. Also kudos to Mayor Tony George for his support.
10. First coach to be let go in the NFL?
I want it to be Rex Ryan of The Bills but I’m thinking at 0-2, Jay Gruden of the Redskins might be the one.
11. Are you an Oktober Fest fan?
No, not a beer guy. Love brats though.
12. Will you be Tweeting during the debates?
13. How come in 2000 Florida had 25 electoral votes, now they have 29?
Population growth. Just to give you an example a place like The Villages which is a retirement string of towns now has 134,000 people up from 29,000 or so at that time. When I was a kid, Pa. had 29 Electoral votes, Florida just 14. As you stated, Florida had 25, Pennsylvania had 23. Now we’re down to 20. It’s all about the peeps!
14. The New York Times has been calling out Donald Trump for lying. Unfair or about time?
About time. Trump has gotten a pass and has played the media. But his supporters don’t care.
15. When you were a kid who was your favorite weatherman?
Really? What a great question. I was a little kid when Channel 16 had a guy named Roy Goshorn. (I think I liked the name). Then there was Bill White with his Atlantic Gas Station uniform on WDAU. Plus who could ever forget Joe Scott on WBRE TV. I loved ‘em all. Thanks for the question.
16. What in the world happened to your Pirates?
They could not sustain a winning streak. Or as a Pirate fan who in scatological terms said, “Every time they aim for the toilet this year they missed”.
17. Did Donald Trump ruin you for reality shows?
No, I still love my Heidi Klum, Tim Gunn and “Project Runway”.
18. Best bit on the Emmy’s and how do you think Jimmy Kimmel did?
The opening with Jeb Bush. Did you catch the Jeb 2020 bumper sticker on the limo? Kimmel was great.
19. Do you think the Luzerne County leadership might be pushing hard for a prison?
They need it but again first things first. Let’s get the debt under more control.
20. Hey what did you think of those kids at Valley West moaning about going to school in hot classrooms and then protesting?
Unreal. But they sure as heck could go to a football game in heat.
21. I saw someone with tattoos on their knees. Ever date someone with a “tat?”
No. I am friends with many a woman who has them, but nope. Never.