Wednesday, June 10, 2020

The LuLac Edition #4,321, June 10th, 2020

WRITE ON WEDNESDAY

Our "Write On Wednesday" logo

This week we feature a post from a good friend, Jim O'Meara Senior. Jim and I met when my blog first started and we were both political junkies. But he was a Republican and I was a Democrat. That hasn't changed but the political climate that allowed us to be friends, joking around and enjoying hot wings while we tried to solve the problems of the world has shifted dramatically.
But we have endured checking in on one another as we continue our lives with challenges big and small. In a pre Trump era we never believed the party we chose was evil. We never thought of each other in that way. We were reasonable in the people we picked to support, party affiliation be damned. Recently we had a GOP candidate attacking another for get this....working for another Republican! I'm not sure Jim ever voted for a Democrat I was pitching to him but I voted for a few local Republicans and I never regretted it.
So against that backdrop, I thought it appropriate to run Jim's thoughts from Facebook the other day focusing in on Mitt Romney's joining the Black Lives Matter people in a march. I was pleased to see Jim including the photo of Mitt's dad George who along with the late Bill Scranton and Nelson Rockefeller were the great moderate Republicans of the 60s and 70s.
Check it out for this week's "Write On Wednesday.

JIM O'MEARA'S EXCEPTION

I don't do much politics anymore. I make an exception for Mitt Romney today. He is not popular among many Republicans right now. I have always liked him.
There was a little stir by some of my Twitter contacts on the left over the weekend because Mitt walked with BLM supporters. One saw a Republican walking in this protest and said "Hell Freezes Over."
I pointed out that it was no surprise to me that he did this. It is, you see, in his blood. George Romney also did his own marching in the 1960's.
 I wrote Mitt Romney in for President this year.
Maybe I'm the only one in Luzerne County who did so. I'm very likely the only former GOP district chair who has done so. These days, though, I'm just another voter. I'm not in the trenches as a part of the party machinery. Those days are in the rear view forever.
In my time away from organized politics, I have changed. I took some time away from the Republican party as an unaffiliated voter. I returned to the GOP to have a voice in the Primary Elections, and because I am still farther to the right of things than the left. I don't exclude anyone from my life because of their political beliefs. If there is someone whose views I don't agree with, I follow Lincoln's advice: "I don't like that fellow; I must get to know him better."
Be good to each other. We are all we have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home