Saturday, October 17, 2009

The LuLac Edition #977, Oct. 17th, 2009

PHOTO INDEX: INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

This week I had the opportunity to talk with a young professional who immigrated to this country from the Soviet Union in the late 1990s. Her thoughts on America were interesting.
Q: When you moved here where was your first stop?
A: Florida. There were plenty of opportunities in real estate. I got my citizenship there and did well. But then the market fell apart and I needed to make a career change. I went into the medical field and have been satisfied with that part of my life.
Q: How did you get here in Wilkes Barre/Scranton?
A: My wife and I looked on the internet. We saw this area as being close to New York city. So we just picked a place on the map and here we are.
Q: My ancestors did the same thing except without the internet. They picked a place on the map. Do you like it here?
A: Yes it’s very sedate compared to Florida. The cold isn’t as bad as Russia. Plus it’s not a bad place to raise kids.
Q: What do you think of the politics here?
A: Well obviously people are more outspoken here. People use terms here that I think they don’t understand or if they do, they use them in the wrong sense.
Q: Like what?
A: Well the word freedom. During the summer everyone was talking about this health care debate. The people at the town meetings were saying “they’re freedom was taken away” by the government. I mean they don’t understand what they’re saying.
Q: How so?
A: Well in Russia a few years back if you had a house, if someone more powerful than you wanted it, they just took it. We drove from Florida through a few states to get here in Pennsylvania. We crossed the borders with no problem. In Russia, not the case. If those people think health care reform is taking away their government, and their freedom, then they don’t understand what freedom, real freedom means.
Q: Are you familiar with conservative commentators like Glenn Beck?
A: Yes he’s passionate. But that’s okay here.
Q: Could a Glenn Beck exist in Russia?
A: Only in a jail cell.
Q: Even now?
A: As my neighbor with the big pick up truck says, “Hell yes!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home