Monday, October 19, 2009

The LuLac Edition #979, Oct. 19th, 2009











PHOTO INDEX: SENATOR BOB MELLOW, LUZERNE COUNTY CONTROLLR CANDIDATES WALTER GRIFFITH JUNIOR, ROBERT MORGAN AND WIL TOOLE.

CONTROLLER'S FORUM

One week from Today The LuLac Political Letter will be hosting our Controller’s Forum. The event will be at Bentley’s, the old Kozy K in Ashley on the way to Mountaintop. I am pleased to report that all three candidates, Walter Giffith, Robert Morgan and Wil Toole have agreed to participate. The debate/forum format will be:
1. Opening statements.
2. 3 Lead off questions.
3. Questions on the job itself and how the candidate’s perceive their role in it.
4. Audience questions submitted on index cards.
It’s free and open to the public. Monday night, October 26th, 7 to 9PM, Bentley’s.

BUDGET RECAP

Senator Bob Mellow in case you might not have realized it was instrumental in getting this budget deal solved. It was Mellow on PCN that indicated the thing went on too long and many insiders in Harrisburg are crediting the Lackawanna County veteran Senator with getting this budget issue solved. Here are some highlights from the Senator's web page on what transpired:
This week, the funds started flowing once again to the many agencies impacted by the state budget impasse. The tough economic times and a resulting $3.2 billion shortfall in state revenue brought about some necessary cuts in funding in order to make up the multi-billion dollar gap. While there is no ideal budget in this economic climate, the final budget which was approved by the Senate and House of Representatives and signed by Governor Rendell did make some important commitments to areas that have been and continue to be important to us. It was a hard-fought battle, but this budget commits an additional $300 million to education. That is a 5.7% increase that should ensure that Pennsylvania’s schoolchildren remain competitive and property owners don’t see a tax hike on the local level.
Funding was restored for child care, autism, attendant care, and other social service programs. Hospitals saw more than $208 million restored in state and federal cuts. Funding for veterans’ homes was restored to the governor’s proposed level of $82 million in an effort to prevent those who served from having to be turned away and to help prevent jobs from being lost.
The state’s budget deficit could not have been predicted. Regardless of the dire circumstances and extreme challenges it created in crafting the 2009-2010 budget, finding a solution took too long. To those impacted by the budget logjam, I extend my apologies.
I think this plan, with more than a billion dollars in recurring revenue, is a sound agreement that will see us responsibly through this recession into better times.
Highlights:
$300 million increase in the Basic Subsidy for Education.
More than $1 billion in new recurring revenue is included to balance future budgets with NO broad-based tax increase and no arts tax.
Restores more than $60 million in community, economic, and job development programs.
Restores more than $50 million in funding for child care, autism, attendant care and other social service programs.
Funding kept at 2008-2009 levels for Pre-K Counts and Head Start. Supplemental Funding
PHEAA Grants to Students is funded at $403.6 million, a reduction of $3.9 from last year, but a significant increase from what was set forth in earlier spending proposals.

7 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looking forward to the debate yonk. too bad you're not a drinker, i'd buy you a cold tiff drink. but i don't think they serve tab.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morgan has hit the airways and started off with a not so subtle shot at Griffith being a mechanic.

Morgan directs listeners to visit his web site, and when reading his explanation of the Controller on his site, he states "The Controller has the responsibility to prescribe and maintain the accounting systems of the county". Bobby had better take another look at section 1705 of the county code which states clearly that if the Controller decides to implement a new system, he must have the approval of the Commissioners. Section 1701 of the County Code clearly gives the power to manage and administer the fiscal affairs of the county to the County Commissioners, not the Controller. Looks like the self proclaimed expert is anything but!

I was eager to read how he plans to fix county government but all he really says is that he is going to do it and then list all the things that needs doing. Good golly Elmer, we've got us another expert who knows what's wrong and offers no details about how to go about fixing it. Sounds like same ole' same ole' to me. Like the mans said, this isn't change, this is more of the same. What I can't understand is how did Petrilla get all the other Democrats out of the race so her poodle could have a seat on her lap?

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, say what you want, the above photo of Dartley looks a whole lot like we have our own Alaska Governor and I mean that in a good way. I hope she pickes out a stylish robe cause she will be a judge regardless of what that empty headed Corbett says.

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hell with all the politicians.
Go PHILLIES! Great Win tonight!!!

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope all those who have been grousing about the sorry state of affairs in Luzerne County show up at your forum and ask the candidates some tough questions. I will be there because I am tired of candidates and their empty-headed pronouncements. They make a big noise, but never give specific details about their ideas.

By the way, I hope people won't forget who the controller was when the debit scandal was evolving. Talk about re-inventing oneself!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with 12:17..

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Patrick Toole said...

I wanted to make a post in my fathers behalf. I really don't know these other fellows running for Controller but I know my dad, So I wanted to share a little history of my father's work ethic.

Growing up I didn't see my father a lot and the reason for that was he worked at least two jobs and sometimes more so as a child I thought we were rich because myself and my brothers as well never wanted for anything. He made things look and seem so easy that we may have taken many things for granted.I was still quite young when he became involved with politics and I basically grew up with him in City Hall. Since my father has left the city I have had several employees tell me how much they missed him. They mention that under him, the time the City was not only financially stable but had a surplus and still managed to have all the services plus the extras like parks in perfect shape and many activities for us youngsters.
As for his dedication to the City I can tell you that I brought him dinner to his office many nights because working many work hours is what it took to keep things running smoothly, late hours and most weekends.

I can say without a doubt that if my father is elected to the office of Controller he will be full time, and will be accessible and accountable to the taxpayers,. If you want proof just ask anyone who remembers when City Hall was open 24 hours, 7 days a week. They can attest to how my father would be walking out the door and someone would ask something of him and he never looked at the clock and said hey it's 7 or 8 O'Clock and I've got to go. He loved his City as he loves government. That's what we need in a Controller and that is what we will get if he is elected.

There are people taking issue of him deciding to change to an Independent and until he explained it I didn't understand either. He has gotten older and he thinks differently now than in his younger days. He simply does not want to carry a Party banner and make excuses for things he just isn't comfortable with. His intention is to go into this office beholding to nobody and that is the type of candidate who can get things done, no IOU's to cash, nothing but a clear idea and the knowledge to get the job done. On the other hand I see two party candidates running against him both getting donations from party people yet Morgan says he feels he is the independent and mentions that my father had old school party people sign his petition. Well I would love for anyone to try to get almost 1600 signatures and have not one of them be from the old guard, I found this shot very cheap considering Morgan had campaign contributions from at least two people that are being investigated and his biggest contributor is an attorney who has held several solicitorships in the county. As for Griffith the fact that he can't fill out a simple contribution finance report is quite scary to me. He even admits and I quote "I might get in there and realize I bit off more than I can chew" Does Mr Griffith think that he can have a trial run with this?

On a personal note, I would rather be spending time with my dad fishing and just enjoying him, but that would be selfish of me as he has way to much to offer the taxpayers of this county. I have to accept what he wants, and I think I speak for all of us that know my father when I say he is not the type to sit on the sidelines when there is a problem and lets face it, we have a major problem in our county.
So in closing I would like to say make sure you vote as this is the only way to make a change, and I would appreciate your vote for my dad, I feel very confident in saying you won't be sorry.

Thank you
Patrick Toole
Proud Son of Wil Toole Independent Candidate for Luzerne County Controller.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home