Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1331, Oct. 13th, 2010


PHOTO INDEX: 13 QUESTIONS LOGO.

13 QUESTIONS

1. THERE SEEMS TO ALMOST NO INTEREST IN THE HOME RULE DEBATE. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

THERE’S NO BUZZ ABOUT IT. NO OUTRAGE. THERE ARE THOSE WHO ARE GOING TO STAY WITH THE STATUS QUO AND OTHERS WHO WANT TO THROW EVERYONE OUT AND START ALL OVER. IT WILL BE A CLOSE DECISION BUT I’M AFRAID IF YOU PUT “I DON’T CARE” ON THE BALLOT, IT WOULD GET A MAJORITY. THERE IS NO PASSION THIS TIME AROUND. AND THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT IN 1975 AND IN 2003, ROW OFFICERS AND ELECTED OFFICIALS STEPPED FORWARD AND PROMOTED IT. YOU RARELY HEAR FROM THE CURRENT CROP OF OFFICIALS BECAUSE I THINK THEY WILL HAVE NO CREDIBILITY WITH THE PUBLIC. AND IF I WERE ADVISING THE CHARTER NO PEOPLE I’D HIDE AWAY ANYONE ELECTED RIGHT NOW FEARING THAT ANY STATEMENT THEY WOULD MAKE WOULD AWAKE SLEEPING DOGS.

2. DO YOU LIKE HALLOWEEN?

HATE IT.

3. HOW WILL THE TEA PARTY FARE AFTER THIS YEAR’S ELECTION?

IT DEPENDS ON HOW WELL THEIR CANDIDATES DO. THE TEA PARTY HAS WON CRUCIAL VICTORIES IN PRIMARIES BUT THE QUALITY OF THEIR CANDIDATES HAVE LEFT A LOT TO BE DESIRED. A NAZI REENACTOR? A PERSON PROCLAIMING “I’M NOT A WITCH?” THIS MOVEMENT HAS TO TRANSCEND THE CRAZINESS AND DORKINESS ASSOCIATED WITH IT. BUT ESTEEM FOR REGULAR POLITICIANS IS AT SUCH A NADIR AND THE BAR FOR WHO WE ELECT IS SO LOW, THESE PEOPLE JUST MIGHT PREVAIL.

4. THERE IS A LOT OF TALK ABOUT ANGRY VOTERS THIS YEAR. YONK, EVER VOTE MAD?

YEAH, IN 1980. I HAD JUST BEEN IN A GAS LINE AND PAID AN OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY (AT THE TIME) FOR GAS SO I JUST WENT IN AND VOTED FOR REAGAN.

5. MADONNA OR LADY GAGA?

UH, LESLEY GORE?

6. WHAT RACE IS THE MOST INTERESTING FOR THE STATE HOUSE?

THREE. THE 120th WITH MUNDY, MULLEN AND GOLDSWORTHY. MULLEN MIGHT HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE RACE TAKING VOTES AWAY FROM EITHER THE INCUMBENT OR THE CHALLENGER. IN THE 116TH TODD EACHUS IS FACING ATTORNEY TARA TOUHILL. TOUHILL HAS A COMPELLING STORY AND IT WOULD SEND SHOCKWAVES THROUGHOUT THE STATE IF SHE PULLED AN UPSET. PERSONALLY IN THE 121ST, I HAVE A DILEMMA. I REALLY THINK EDDIE DAY PASHINSKI TOOK THE BULL BY THE HORNS IN TAKING ON THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY WITH HIS HEALTH CARE PROPOSAL. BUT JIM O’MEARA SENIOR IS WORKING HIS ASS OFF AND WOULD BE A VERY GOOD CITIZEN LEGISLATOR. SO THOSE THREE ARE THE ONES I’M WATCHING. IN LACKAWANNA COUNTY, THE DEMS ARE CRUISING.

7. DO YOU EVER GET TIRED OF WATCHING POLITICAL ADS?

NO, I COULD WATCH THEM ALL DAY.

8. ANY NEWS YOU WANT TO SHARE WITH US ABOUT A NEW BOOK?

NOT YET. SOON.

9. DO YOU THINK BLOGS HAVE LOST THEIR STEAM?

NO I THINK THAT IT DEPENDS ON THE MOMENT, THE YEAR, THE EVENTS, THE TIME. I THINK PEOPLE ARE TOO EXHAUSTED TO EVEN THINK ABOUT THIS MID TERMS. I’VE HAD PEOPLE TELL ME TO LIGHTEN UP WITH SOME STUFF I’VE WRITTEN, I’VE HAD PEOPLE SAY LULAC IS GETTING STALE AND STILTED. I DON’T KNOW. I HAVE TO STEP BACK AND SEE IF THAT’S TRUE. BUT AS LONG AS PEOPLE ARE RUNNING, AND POLITICS IS JOB ONE HERE IN BOTH COUNTIES, BLOGS HAVE NOT LOST STEAM BUT MAYBE SOME INTEREST. COULD BE RIGHT, COULD BE WRONG.

10. ANY FAVORITES IN THE NEW FALL TV SCHEDULES?

I REALLY LIKE THE NEW HAWAII 5-0. I NEVER WATCHED THE ORIGINAL BUT I SEEM TO LIKE THIS ONE. BUT OTHER THAN THAT ONE, I’M NOT IMPRESSED.

11. BRISTOL PALIN OR HANNA MONTANA?


UH, SHELLY FABARES?

12. THE MOST MEMORABLE AND INTERESTING WORLD SERIES MOMENTS FOR YOU?

OH GOD, 1963 WHEN KOUFAX MANHANDLED THE YANKEES. 1996 WHEN THE YANKS WON AGAIN. ’78 WHEN MUNSON HAD HIS LAST RUN. ’95 AND ’97 WHEN MY INDIANS LOST. ’95 I DIDN’T MIND BUT ’97 WAS HORRIBLE. AND 1979 FOR TWO REASONS. THIS WAS MY DAD’S LAST SERIES AND WE WATCHED ALMOST EVERY INNING TOGETHER. ALSO I WAS SET UP ON A DATE WITH A YOUNG LADY AND WENT TO HER HOUSE IN HANOVER TO PICK HER UP. SHE WARNS ME NOT TO TALK POLITICS WITH HER DAD. SO I MEET HER FATHER AND WE MAKE SMALL TALK ABOUT THE WORLD SERIES. SAFE ENOUGH SUBJECT, RIGHT? HE TELLS ME HE HAS A BROTHER IN WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND I ASK HIM IF HE WAS FOR THE PIRATES. HE SAID, “I’M FOR BALTIMORE, THERE’S A LOT MORE WHITE GUYS ON THEIR TEAM”. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I NEVER TALKED POLITICS WITH HIM.

13. FIFTY YEARS AGO THIS MONTH, KENNEDY AND NIXON WERE FIGHTING IT OUT? ANY MEMORIES?

TWO. WE HAD A WEEKLY READER AND KENNEDY WAS ALL OVER IT. SECOND, I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER THESE ADS. LOOK AT THEM AND SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN STYLE.


17 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just told my instructor who suggests your blog that I am NOT voting. old people don't want to hear from younger people. I showed him my unedited comment and he didn't understand why you censored it. he thought I was harsh, but my opinion was valid. he is tryng to get my age group involved and considers your blog to be a great source of info and exchange of ideas. I told him you are a fasict who suppresses thoughts you disagree with. ten of my classmates and myself registered.to vote for the first time this year, much to our instructor's disappointment none of us will be voting. we all agree to protest because you demostrate that the system is controlled by old white men like you who only want to repress dissenting opinions. thank you for the eye opening lesson

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE TO 11:15AM
Hey don’t blame me for your irresponsibility and laziness. And don’t use me as an excuse not to get involved in the political process. How naïve you are to think that I’m a freaking power broker. Some old men might control the political process but to quote The Turtles “It Ain’t Me Babe”. And by the way wasn’t it your generation that elected the first man of color to office? So much for that old white man theory. My blog takes comments but I edit them. Why? Because its my site. And I edit out stuff that I deem harmful to one’s reputation. Just because you write it or say it doesn’t mean you instantly need to be heard or read. Start your own blog. Read and disagree with me all you want. Call me any name you want. But don’t lay your decision to not get involved in the process at my feet. If I were what you say I was I wouldn’t be working 50 plus hours a week at a bathtub company, I wouldn’t be driving a 12 year old car and I sure as hell wouldn’t be trying to give an opinion on the process we call politics. I’d be buying people like myself off. Until that time comes, don’t blame me for your decision to cut and run in this crucial election. Have the GOP overturn your health care so you won’t be on your parent’s plan until you’re out of school. Have the GOP cut services to colleges, libraries and research departments. Have the GOP start another undeclared war and see people your age killed not by a war of engagement but by terrorist assassination. Sit on your ass and let that happen if you like but don’t blame me, my blog or my decision not to print every breathless word you say on your decision.
All that said, thanks for reading and stay involved in the process.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger PoorRichard said...

It is the attitude displayed by this young man that has our country, state and county in the condition it is. I don't like you so I wont vote! WTF? With that kind of attitude, perhaps its best he and his buddies do stay home on election day. I've said time and again that the problem is with the voters, not the system of government and this young man makes my point very well. The empty heads insist that changing the form of government will be a good thing but the same people hate their school boards and the lack of control they the voters have over it. Well baby stand by for a ram! If Home Rule passes, there will truly be no need to vote because the appointed county manager will be an absolute mini king. They system that was supposed to be transparent is the darkest form of government I've ever seen. There is no transparency, the manager can hire, fire and make contracts behind closed doors and the people think this is good? God save us from ourselves.... PLEASE!

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent response to a misguided student who doesnt get it. The word Facist gets thrown around a lot by people who dont know the meaning. As for your status as a fat cat power broker, I wish you were so I could ask for a job and maybe get one as I have no other fat cat connections.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Your Bi-sexual, former, fan said...

Gee Mr. Yonki, for all you have been through you would think you would be thankful for what you now have. You really come off as an angry man. Not everyone survives cancer, not everyone has found employment. But you are angry because students, of which I am one, find your blog to have some influence. It obviously has influence with us. Don't you get why we are so upset? We turn to you, at someone else's recommendation, and we feel you let us down with very heavy handed editing.
You proudly tout that this is one of PA's top rated blog. If that is the case YOU DO have influence.
Instead of yelling at us students, who want to be involved, you would think you might actually encourage our interest.
We aren't lazy. We have all volunteered for campaigns.
We have all shown a deep commitment.
Our decision not to vote has to do with what is wrong with the system and those involved in the process. And whether you like it or not, you are part of it.
If you don't want to an exchange of ideas, get rid of the comment section.
If you don't want to accept that you are a political influence, take down your blog.

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bi-Sex former fan,
I predict you'll keep on reading because Yonk is like this exciting train wreck. You can never take your eyes away no matter how hard you try.
I took a few months off when he went off the rails but I'm back. Give him a chance. He made very good points. Remember the Stones, "You Can'T Always Get What You Want". I imagine no one ever told you that because I bet your hot.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bi-sexual former fan ..... I have some bad news for you so brace yourself. You commented that you and your fellow students won't vote because of how bad things are ..... do you think they will get better if you don't vote, if you don't do something about it? If you are ever so unfortunate to get hit with cancer, I hope that you have a change of attitude and don't ignore it because it's inherently bad. I don't understand this philosophy that leaving something that is bad to fix itself is like watching a flat tire fix itself. If it's broke, fix it! By the way, you use the term "all of us" way too often. I doubt very much that "all of you" have not been pro active in campaigns and I doubt that "all of you" have volunteered for anything.

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things, I think Yonki has enormous respect for young people. He reached many young people in the 90s with his employment stints at a few area colleges and schools as a part time instructor.
Also, gotta love the difference between the Nixon ad and the Kennedy ad. Jeez that JFK ad was great.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon 8:45 I think she meant all of us, as in the 10 students. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth; I get the impression and I'm not sure, that their (and with the old white man comment I'm guessing possibly minority women) response is more to the controlled media. How the system is designed to protect those in power and repress dissenting views and opinions. We see in both the traditional media, MSNBC and FOX lean their ways and they edit content to tell their story and now the non-traditional media, blogs, which at one time were pure democracy, blogs respected the first amendment and were a place for a free exchange of ideas. While I think they should vote, I can see the point of their "protest." The right to vote is very important as is the right NOT to vote to make a statement. I also agree with the students, except for profanity, and I'm not even sure about that; didn't Mr. Yonki mention something about getting ****ed in the ass with glass?; there is no real reason to edit some else's thoughts or opinions on a blog. Mr. Yonki reminds me of Charles Barkley stating athletes aren't role models with his claim of not having influence. He publishes a blog that is widely read by politicos and those in the media. He DOES have influence and he should accept the responsibility that goes with it.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
I also agree with the students, except for profanity, and I'm not even sure about that; didn't Mr. Yonki mention something about getting ****ed in the ass with glass?;
I DID PRINT THAT WITH THE "F" BOMB AND THE PROFANITY. THAT DAY I TOTALLY WENT OFF THE RAILS. I APOLOGIZED WHEN A PARENT WROTE ME THAT THEIR 12 YEAR OLD KID WHO WAS INTO POLITICS WAS READING MY BLOG. IT HAD NO PLACE THEN AS IT DOES NOW. YOU ARE CORRECT IN CALLING ME OUT ON THAT BECAUSE I WAS AS WRING AS WRONG CAN EVER BE.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Gee Mr. Yonki, for all you have been through you would think you would be thankful for what you now have. You really come off as an angry man. Not everyone survives cancer, not everyone has found employment.
I AM GRATEFUL. IN A GRUMPY OLD STRAIGHT CRIPPLED WHITE MAN KIND OF WAY.

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little bastards need a good spanking! They bitch that they're not going to vote. That'll show em' kiddies!!!! Bet they'd bitch even louder if their right to vote was taken from them too. You can't have it both ways kiddies. Get a few more years of hard knox life under your designer belt, and see through clearer specs. You all (if it is really more than one) sound like a bunch of spoiled little brats who don't know shit about life or how the system works. You're like a bunch of lemmings following one another, and saying whatever sounds cool or rebelious to make yourselves sound different from the current system. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.
... A child of the 60's

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Onle a nerd like you would love to watch politics 24/7.
Never ever changes.

YOUR KOMOTION DATE FROM DURYEA

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nixon's the One!

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Go ... you crippled, old, grumpy, white man you!!!!!

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To acknowledge not voting as a legitimate form of protest is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It is the fools who don't vote that have caused our government to be where it is. I don't care what level of government you're talking about. The one who benefits from a non vote is the candidate who should least be in office. So let me just thank the idiots who think not voting is a good and legitimate protest and lat me also thank the idiot who agrees with not voting as being a legitimate protest. ***holes one and all!

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the cane is sexy. Except when he drives off with it on his ragtop and the thing flies into oncoming traffic. Wilkes Barre has a texting and cell phone ban. Yonk better keep that cane off the roof of the auto.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home