Saturday, November 02, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2551, November 2nd, 2013

KEEPING A PROMISE!!!!

St. John the Baptist Church in Pittston. (Photo: LuLac archives).
Your blog editor who has been more than insufferable on this subject in front of the monument. (Photo:Mrs. LuLac).

IN MEMORY OF.......

Tomorrow afternoon there will be a dedication for a monument on the site of the Old St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church, School and Convent. When the Church closed in 2008 many people were angry. As you have read here many times, I was beside myself that the church of my immigrant ancestors was torn down.
At the closing Mass, Monsignor Bendik said there’d be some sort of recognition. I didn’t believe it because the older I get, the less I expect of people. I had lunch with a good friend recently and I said, “You think the best of people and get disappointed. I think the worst of them and get surprised”.
Much to my delight and surprise, there is a monument on the grounds of the church. My sister and her husband as well as my wife decided to go in on a contribution to have our parents name put on the stone.
It gets dedicated Sunday, November 3rd after the 12:15PM Mass. Monsignor Bendik will officiate.
I thank him for keeping his promise and undertaking this extraordinary tribute to all Slovak families that funded that church. I’d also like to thank the readers of this blog whose patience I tried through the years. Thanks for your indulgence. 
Here is a photo of the front of the monument. 
Here I am with Attorney Jerry Mecadon. Jerry was class of 1979 at St. John the Baptist, I was class of '68. 
Monsignor Bendik and me in front of the monument this afternoon.

5 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see ya got a plaque in front of the old school and church. Now can ya drop it?

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki, Yonki, Yonki, maybe NOW you can let it all Rest in Peace! Jezuz H. let it go already. You're holding on to this longer than any family member you may have lost. Personally I think it was all a big show, in your own little narcissistic way to promote yourself, but hey it's your blog and your right to do so. Who better a PR person than yourself, for yourself.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

9:11 AM...
What a stupid comment. You have a right to your opinion but that church closing was like a stab in the heart to many Pittston residents. People from all over the country are still smarting from that. David has the forum and God Bless him for using it.

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, I saw you guys, you and the Monsignr posing for the photo taken by your wife. I'm waiting for you and Bendik to have a cane race up William Street in Pittston next summer!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Dave, I saw you guys, you and the Monsignr posing for the photo taken by your wife. I'm waiting for you and Bendik to have a cane race up William Street in Pittston next summer!
HE'D WIN!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home