Thursday, February 13, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2600, February 13th, 2014

Our “13 Questions” logo.

13 QUESTIONS

1. If the verdict, which is the final legal say on this, is accurate, and supports Ciavarella's contention, combined with his campaign commercial where he states something to the effect, that if a juvenile offender is brought in front of him, they will receive the maximum sentence, and also the well known fact that his sentencing from when he first took the bench, long before the scandal, until the end of his time was consistently maximum or near maximum... do you believe that the title of the movie, along with the news media and others, who continue to use the moniker "kids for cash," are now defaming and slandering Ciavarella? Also, is it possible that Ciavarella always believed that the initial money, and continued money received was for forcing through the construction of the juvenile detention center, and not filling it, since he was filling the old center anyway?

You bring up intriguing points but that moniker has stuck and will not go away. Any other legal action by Ciavarella would be pointless now in my opinion.

2. I saw a report on TV WNEP the other night where a family’s farm was destroyed by a Juvenile Ciavarella sent to jail. His record was expunged, he got a settlement and these people who were victims are still trying to put their lives together. Is that fair?

No, there were a lot of kids who got a free pass that maybe they didn’t deserve. I would like to see someone with more time and resources than I have do a case by case look at who stayed out of trouble and who achieved success despite this roadblock. The biggest crime in this case is that while Ciavarella’s action were unjust to many and deemed too harsh, there were some criminals who blatantly got away with major crimes. That more than anything is the sad legacy of this, Ciavarella as a Judge meted out unequal justice. The ramifications of his sentence is that there was undeserved reward for some.

3. What is the best concert you ever attended?

In my life I have been fortunate to see many performers up close. I interviewed Frankie Valli a few times, introduced Tony Bennett at the Kirby and saw people like Mott the Hoople, Barry Manilow, Kiss, Carole King and James Taylor, Diana Ross, and others. But the best concert ever by far was Simon and Garfunkel at the Arena. They were incredible and as a bonus they showcased the Everly Brothers. It was an incredible night with the duo of Simon and Garfunkel paying homage to the rockers who inspired them, the Everly Brothers. It was the same night that Aaron ****ing Boone hit the Home Run that put the Yanks in the Series against Boston. The concert started on October 15th, we got home just in time on October 16th to see Boone demolish that Tim Wakefield pitch.

4. Who was Franklin D. Coslett and did you ever meet him?

Franklin D. Coslett was one of the first anchormen in the Wilkes Barre Scranton market. He was a WWII Veteran and did the news on WBRE TV every night. At the end of each broadcast he saluted and smiled. It was the only time in the newscast he smiled. He did great work during the Flood of 1972 and retired I’m thinking in 1980. Met him twice, once at the station when I was interning. WBRE was a Union shop at the time and we were constantly told, “Don’t touch anything”. He was gracious and kind. He lived on Lee Park Avenue and during my Senior Dance at King’s I picked up my date who was staying with a girlfriend in the house next door to him. Franklin was coming home from doing the news and I was stuffing myself into my Camaro in my powder blue ruffled tuxedo. Recognizing me from the station, he smiled and said, “Where’s the rest of the orchestra?”
But there is more than my personal anecdote. Coslett enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942. He had been working at WBRE since the age of 16. By 1944 he was a Chief Navigator and flew missions all across Germany. In April of that year, his plane was shot down in a bombing raid on Berlin. He safely parachuted and wound up as a member of the Dutch underground evading the Nazis for eight months. Published reports said Coslett as a member of the Dutch underground really threw a monkey wrench into the Gestapo operations. So much so that he was wanted as a terrorist and marked for death. On Christmas Eve 1944 he was captured by the Gestapo, put in solitary confinement, and sentenced to death. As the war was winding down, Coslett waiting for his execution was rescued by Canadian forces. After that Coslett commanded intelligence operations until the end of the war. After the conflict he returned to WBRE TV becoming its Anchorman in 1952 and staying there until 1980. Still a military man, Coslett headed up the U.S. Air Force Reserve as a Colonel. To my e mailer who asked me this question, here is the kicker, Franklin D. Coslett, the man you never knew and asked about in your question passed away in 1992 at the age of 76. The date, February 13th. 13 Questions karma? 

Franklin Coslett at WBRE TV in the early 50s and a photo from his obituary in 1992. (Photos: Osterhout Free Library).

5. If you were advising Robert Lawton what would you tell him?

I’m not sure I couldn't tell him much but I’d advise him to rehire Piazza and Pribula, be his own Press Secretary and meet more with reporters to get his side of the story out and keep your friends close but your enemies closer. It was also a good move to block all the e mails except those of the Chairman because that is what the Council wanted in the first place. And I would definitely tell him about Engle Eye Wear.

6. Favorite Beatle?

McCartney.

7. Thoughts on Super Bowl 48?

The Seahawks kept Manning from being Manning. A good defense stops a good offense any day but people tended to romanticize the second Super Bowl win of Payton Manning. The Seahawks were having none of that. Reminded me of the first Giants/Patriots Super Bowl where Tom Brady was the favorite and Eli Manning was “the other Guy”. Russell Wilson became “the other Guy” in this game and made a name for himself.

8. Most vivid birthday memory?
Prandy, me and Chedrick then. 
Prandy, Chedrick and me in 2006.
February 19th, 1960. My class at Jefferson Kindergarten was cancelled and my friends Bruce Prandy and John Chedrick came to my house for an impromptu birthday party. At around 1230pm my sister came home screaming the school was burning and that she left her coat in the classroom. My mother said don’t worry about the coat. That is still ingrained in my mind. My birthday and the fire at St. John the Evangelist High School.

9. Were you a Jay Leno fan and sorry to see him go?

Yes and yes. I think he did a good job, was very good with big guests and became this generation’s Carson. I thought he was funny and charming. I like Letterman too but watch the shows on DVR if there was/is a guest I’d like to see. But yeah, I liked Leno.

10. You must love the Ralph Lauren uniforms being displayed by the Americans at the Olympics since you are a big Polo/Lauren man?

Actually I don’t. I think the uniforms or costumes or whatever you call them are too busy and gaudy. Very overstated if you ask me.

11. Target or Wal Mart?

Target. Last time I set foot in a Wal Mart the dog got sprayed by a skunk at 3am.That was 7 years ago.

12. Most memorable Valentine’s Day?

Okay, everyone I had with my wife for the good ones. The worst one was when I was single and I sent flowers to two women. They lived in the same town and the florist mixed up their addresses. To add insult to injury, a mother of one of the women actually exchanged the flowers. The two moms had quite the conversation. Never did that again. The Florist is also out of business.

13. When will be back on TV again on Pa. Homepage?

I’m slated to be on WBRE Pa  Live March 7th. With the Olympic coverage on the station, my crazy schedule and this God awful winter things have been a little hectic for all parties. But look for us on March 7th. 
 Your blog editor with Pa. Live Host Dave Kuharchik. (Photo: LuLac archives).

10 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki, Yonki, Yonki, It's EVERLY BROTHERS, EVERYLY BROTHERS, EVERLY BROTHERS, Not Evenly Brothers. Jezuz H. check your spelling if you're gonna write a column.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Not Evenly Brothers. Jezuz H. check your spelling if you're gonna write a column.
SPELL CHECK CRAPPED OUT ON ME. THANKS FOR BRINGING IT UP, GAVE ME A CHANCE TO ADD MORE.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a walk down memory lane with Franklin D. Coslett. I am blown away b his heroics. No wonder he rarely smiled on the air. He was all business.
As always Dave, great job in responding to these questions. This is the most entertaining part of your fine blog.
There is a reason why Coslett's generation was called the greatest.

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, Yonki you are hitting all the connections. Junction boys and St. John's.
The Everly Brothers singing a McCartney song, your favorite Beatle. Mine's John btw.
And glad you are back on TV. Miss you and Tarone on WYLN but enjoy him solo immensely.

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think those questions on Ciavarella were pretty thought provoking.
And I wonder what Franklin D. Coslett would think of the news today.

 
At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the opportunity to see so many acts during a long career in the Record and Music Business, but one of the most unforgettable was Simon and Garfunkle on the Bookends Tour in 1967 at Public Hall in Cleveland. Janis Ian was the opening act. It was one of our first dates and we are still together 47 years later. One of the perks of a low level job with Columbia records was free tickets to most Columbia artist concerts. Those were the days!

Pete

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Junction said...

Dave, I enyoyed your write up on Mr.Franklin Cosslett. I always enjoy learning about how our "valley's own" were involved during WWII. Never knew he was in the service.
Thanks again on remembering a fellow soldier.

Also I was wondering if we could do another "impromtu" birthday party someday soon.
I will always cherish our group photo of the "Junction Trio".
Sounds like the name of a musical group.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
I had the opportunity to see so many acts during a long career in the Record and Music Business, but one of the most unforgettable was Simon and Garfunkle on the Bookends
ISN'T SOMETHING THAT WHAT YOU SAW IN 1967 AND WHAT I SAW IN 2003 STOOD THE TEST OF TIME.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if lulac were to have a theme song what would be

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
if lulac were to have a theme song what would be
GREAT QUESTION. WAIT FOR THE ANSWER IN MARCH 13 QUESTIONS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home