Monday, July 27, 2015

The LuLac Edition #3002, July 27th, 2015

MAYBE I’M AMAZED

Our “Maybe I’m Amazed” logo.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that as we head into August there might be a glimmer of hope for the state budget. Unlike days past, at least members of the GOP and the Governor’s team are taking a look at the budget line by line at what they could live with and what they can’t.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that in 1895 24 rabbits were released in Australia. Within 6 years the population grew to 2 million.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….but not really that Dotty Martin has been named the new Managing Editor of The Times Leader. Dotty has been a mainstay in the newspaper business for a very long time. I knew her back when during her Sunday Dispatch years. I was proud to work with her and wish her the best in her new position. She deserves it and you’ll see a pop in the Leader.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that Poison Ivy and poison oak are not oak. They are part of the cashew family. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that on L.A. Tarone’s program tonight a caller corrected him on the Malaysian flight saying a Russian rocket shot it down and told Tarone to do his research. Said caller also was speaking of a country foreign to me, kept calling America Amurika.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…at 5 feet the whooping crane is the tallest bird in North America.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that Donald Trump just keeps on coming on. The guy is no dummy and seems to delight at having others unravel. The test of Trump‘s staying power is what type of organization he can put on the ground in the early nerd states like Iowa and New Hampshire.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that potatoes have more chromosomes than humans.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that Tony George seems to have some pretty hefty anonymous enemies. George’s advisers needed to handle the money, not him. He should have come out sooner but it has to burn you when a “leaker” who cowers in the safety of anonymity lights the fuse and walks away.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….an alligator can go through 3,000 teeth in a lifetime.
 St. Anne, mother of Mary. (Photo:  communityofhopeinc.org)
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that the beautiful traditional observance of St. Anne’s Novena in Scranton keeps its traditions. As a young boy I remember my aunts doing that walk into Scranton for the final feast day. Glad to see it is still going strong among the faithful.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….on the subject of 3,000, thanks to all who posted on our 3,000 editions. Also, on 3,000, how about A-Rod??? I know Yankee lovers are now rooting for the guy. Let’s hope he’s doing it clean now.

6 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have often wondered, what exactly is the maybe i'm amazed photo?

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

I have often wondered, what exactly is the maybe i'm amazed photo?

IN RESPONSE

It is the album cover of Paul McCartney’s first solo album. It was released in 1970 right after the Beatles broke up. Because there was still animosity by fans over the breakup of the Fab Four, the album was not well received. Plus critics panned most of the songs. The only one that stood out was “Maybe I’m Amazed” which was favored by critics, radio stations and fans alike.
On a black back, the front cover image consisted of a bowl of cherry-red liquid placed on a cream-colored counter and surrounded by loose red cherries. It looks like the fruit was dumped from the bowl. as if the fruit had been emptied from the bowl.
So we did the album cover, added the title song and that was the logo.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect Dave,
Life is not a bowl full of cherries...Drew

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

There were actually some additionally good songs on "McCartney"--many of which were intended for the Beatles. Among these 'Junk' and 'Teddy Boy'.'

The back cover featured a photo taken by photographer wife (and aspiring musician)Linda of McCartney wearing winter fur coat with one of his infant kids tucked inside. Cool Pic.
And if my memory serves me correctly, on the original vinyl version the LP cover opened up and there were a series of photographs...some kind of gross. That may be a childhood memory that is distorted as I have no access to a vinyl copy today.
The photos were not printed in the later cassette/cd reissues of the album.
Bless You.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

There were actually some additionally good songs on "McCartney"--many of which were intended for the Beatles. Among these 'Junk' and 'Teddy Boy'.'

IN RESPONSE
"Teddy Boy", okay, the rest, in my opinion not so much.

And if my memory serves me correctly, on the original vinyl version the LP cover opened up and there were a series of photographs...some kind of gross. That may be a childhood memory that is distorted as I have no access to a vinyl copy today.

IN RESPONSE
True, his wife did the photos on many of his albums. The photo on the back was her work too. For 1970 it had an edge.
Your memories are very clear on this.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Perfect Dave,
Life is not a bowl full of cherries...Drew

IN RESPONSE
Very true. Just watch the pits!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home