Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The LuLac Edition #4,034, March 19th, 2019

BIRCH BAYH

(Photo: LuLac archives)
If you were a woman athlete, if you have young girls in your family playing sports, you can thank a guy named Birch Bayh for that. If you take the time and interest to vote when you hit 18, you can thank Birch Bayh for that.  I remember being so excited when my first vote was in 1972 just two months after I turned 18.
It was Birch Bayh a Democrat from Indiana who made his mark. Bayh’s three-term service in the United States Senate – from 1962 to 1980 – is distinguished by his expertise in Constitutional law. As Chairman of the Constitutional Sub-Committee, Senator Bayh authored two Amendments to the Constitution:
•The Twenty-fifth Amendment on Presidential and Vice Presidential succession that created an orderly transition of power in the case of death or disability of the President, and a method of selecting a Vice President when a vacancy occurs in that office. The Amendment provided for the orderly transition of power following the resignations of Vice President Spiro Agnew and President Richard Nixon. It also provided the necessary vehicle for President Ronald Reagan to temporarily pass his duties to Vice President George Bush when Reagan underwent surgery. Prior to its passage, the nation experienced several occasions when the president was unable to perform his powers and duties, with no constitutional provision for temporary transfer of these powers to the Vice President. (For example, President Eisenhower suffered three serious illnesses during his presidency, and Woodrow Wilson was critically ill for more than a year.) Bayh continues to counsel the White House on implementation of the Amendment.
•The Twenty-sixth Amendment that lowered the voting age from 21 to 18 years of age, enfranchising young men and women. (Prior to the amendment, the right to vote was denied to those old enough to serve their country in the military.)
To all my Republican friends who continue to weaponize the Constitution to defend the current office holder at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and fancy themselves Constitutional scholars GET THIS: No lawmaker since the Founding Fathers has authored two Amendments to the Constitution.
Senator Bayh was the author and chief sponsor of two other closely-fought and nearly-passed Amendments to the Constitution:
•The Equal Rights Amendment, which passed both Houses of Congress, but failed to be ratified by three-fourths of the states.
•The Direct Popular Vote Amendment, which would have abolished the Electoral College. The measure passed the House, and Bayh enlisted sixty Senate co-sponsors before the measure failed to gain the necessary two-thirds vote of the Senate.
Bayh wrote the landmark legislation Title IX to the Higher Education Act that mandates equal opportunities for women students & faculty. Prior to Bayh’s legislation, women students were denied equal opportunities under the law in academics and sports: women students were routinely denied equal access to medical and law schools, veterinary medicine, engineering programs and the like; they received unequal scholarship assistance and were denied equal participation in sports. Similarly, female faculty members were denied equal compensation and promotion. Today’s rise of women in all academic disciplines and in school sports and the Olympics is a direct outgrowth of this landmark legislation.
Senator Bayh is the author and co-sponsor of the Bayh-Dole Act that enables universities and small businesses to gain ownership of federally-funded copyrights. It has energized the free-enterprise system and has been called by The Economist “possibly the most inspired piece of legislation to be enacted in America over the past half-century.”
Following devastating tornadoes in Indina in 1965, Bayh provided landmark relief legislation that became the foundation for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
Architect, the Juvenile Justice Act, which mandates the separation of juvenile offenders from adult prison populations; the legislation also established pivotal programs for the rehabilitation of juveniles.
Senator Bayh played a vital role in the drafting and passage of the landmark 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act. As a ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Bayh’s dedication to protecting minority rights and the sanctity of the Supreme Court led to his singular effort in defeating the Nixon nominations of Judges Haynesworth and Carswell to the United States Supreme Court [Carswell was an avowed segregationist]. As a result, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights bestowed their highest award on Senator Bayh in 1972 for “his unyielding dedication to human equality and civil freedom.
I came across Bayh in the summer of 1972 when I was living in Washington. He talked with me in the halls of the Capitol for a bit. He stayed in the Senate until 1980 when Indiana lost its IQ and mind and elected Dan Quayle to replace him. 
Birch Bayh passed away last week at the age of 91. 

A NOTE FROM ROGER

The other day I got this note from none other than Roger Stone who is in dire straits and begging for money. Here’s what he wrote and my response.
I am proud of the fact that President Donald Trump, who I tried to persuade to run for President in 1988, 2000, 2004, 2012, and again successfully in 2016, praised me for my "guts" recently when I said I would not under any circumstances bear false witness against him.
The President spoke of our 40 year friendship recently on CBS when he said "I've always liked him. He's a character," and said I was "doing a good job of defending myself."
Due to the fake news media attacks on me over the last two years, my family and I are on the verge of personal bankruptcy and reports online that I am wealthy are entirely false.
I have no choice but to come right out and ask you for your help.
Whatever you can send... would be a Godsend. The use of these funds is strictly limited to my legal defense. None of this money is utilized for my personal use.
Needless to say, my wife of 27 years, Nydia, remains upset about the travails I am facing and most anxious to know how we will raise the necessary money to prove my innocence and vindicate my name. I just keep telling her that with Gods help-and yours- we will not only survive... but we will be victorious.
You're my last hope.
My life and my freedom are in your hands, and I trust in patriotic Americans like you to do what is right. Won't you send an emergency contribution to my Legal Defense Fund today?
UH NO. ROT IN JAIL AND THEN AFTER  THAT, BURN IN HELL! In the meantime, listen to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home